Temperature Of Boiling Wort?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I calibrated my HEX against the mashmaster probe in the MT, at the time I couldn't think of a better way, got sick of playing with boiling water and ice real quick, if the mashmaster is our at least I'm consistsntly out on both.

I have a couple of digital stick thermometers, the $3 on eBay delivered suckers... they both seem to be thereabouts, but the thing that drives me insane is how long both of them take to come to a stable temperature.

Usually I put them in the liquid, wait a few seconds for them to adjust and turn them on. Then (if the temp of liquid is quite different from ambient) they will ramp up quickly, doing 2-5 degrees per 1-2 seconds, before tapering off to 0.1 degree per 1-2 seconds for the last couple of degrees. Measuring strike temp of 70 degrees can take 30 seconds or more of holding the bloody thing in there, which sometimes means I overshoot strike and have to turn the burners off, leaving thermometer in there whilst it cools down naturally...

Long story ended - surely I'm not alone here. Anyone got an accurate, instantaneous thermometer suitable for HB'ing?

Hmmm! Temperatures............................. if your mash temp monitoring device (maybe a thermometer or some such device) measured a number such as 68C for most of your conversion time and the beer turns out thin..................... increase the mash temp number.

Liquid reaches it's boiling point when it does.

Screwy

Deep huh :lol:

Up your bottom or similar body temperature location - 37 (unless you aren't feeling so well)

Not as accurate as you may think.

There is considerable temperature variation in the human body, with 36.5 being normal for some and up to 38 normal for others. Rectal temperature is also slightly higher than oral.

Some people have a naturally higher level of circulating pyrogens (tiny little proteins), which help set the bodies temperature giving them a higher "normal" temp.

That being said, you're only looking at a variation of 1-1.5 degrees tops, so it is probably more accurate for calibration at middle of the road temps than other methods.

I,m with you screwy, if you have been using one thermometer and you are happy with the results you are getting and then you get another thermometer and it reads different then just make sure that you know the difference between the two and compensate when using the new one. Measuring the mash temperature is all about being able to repeat the process.

Cheers Steve

Not as accurate as you may think.

There is considerable temperature variation in the human body, with 36.5 being normal for some and up to 38 normal for others. Rectal temperature is also slightly higher than oral.

Some people have a naturally higher level of circulating pyrogens (tiny little proteins), which help set the bodies temperature giving them a higher "normal" temp.

That being said, you're only looking at a variation of 1-1.5 degrees tops, so it is probably more accurate for calibration at middle of the road temps than other methods.

I'm not sure I would want any thermometer calibrated that way anywhere near my beer. I don't care how many times it had been wash/sanitised...just ain't going there. :lol:

Also depends on your altitude (and ambient air pressure I think), so that may have changed with the move too...

102c for boiling wort too here as per thirsty boy. That's a 1.050 beer in a 1000L kettle.

Pretty much the same as for an equivalent sugar solution (Link)
From SG = (4*oP)/1000 + 1 if you rearrange it a bit, 1.040 is 10% and 1.050 is 12.5(oP, Brix, %W/V)
At 10% (1.040) (at sea level) the boiling point would be 100.4oC
Mark

Old Bar and Bribie Island are both sea level - I'll check out the Target thermo in a kettle of boiling water and in ice and see what eventuates. Seeing as I've been using the original thermo for 4 years exactly, it will be interesting to see if there's a marked change in my house beers - might be back to the drawing board with some of them. <_<

It's a little too far to travel to insert my probe into Bum but if he pm's me his address I'll post it to him to insert for me. B)

I got mine from ebay a long time back.

It's a bit like this one but has a stainless back on it. I just checked it and it only goes to 105c.

edit:
From here, looks like we should aim for 102c

QldKev

I've just got around to measuring my boil. Using my calibrated thermometer I get 103.2.

QldKev

Couple of things.

There is more in Wort then sugar. Not surprised the calculators for sugar water may be off.

Glass stick thermometers need to be stored correctly or they go off. The one I have is supposed to be vertical. I guess the fluid moves in the column and that changes the reading.

Good news about stick thermometers. They are easy straight line adjustable. Easy to google the details. Just check in ice water and boiling water. Mark a graph and connect the dots. Follow the line. When you read 66 on the thermometer go to that spot on the graph and see where your line is and that is the actual temperature.

One reason why I got one of the glass stick thermometers. I went to our local brewery and asked him what he uses. He depends on the glass stick over any of the other dial or electronic ones in the house.

Will never have a dial thermometer. Would only have a digital if I had an automatic brewery. Would still check temperatures with a glass stick if I had a digital.

Last thing, you get what you pay for. Cheep digitals as well as cheep glass thermometers. Would trust a cheep glass any day over a cheep digital.

Old Bar and Bribie Island are both sea level - I'll check out the Target thermo in a kettle of boiling water and in ice and see what eventuates. Seeing as I've been using the original thermo for 4 years exactly, it will be interesting to see if there's a marked change in my house beers - might be back to the drawing board with some of them. <_<

It's a little too far to travel to insert my probe into Bum but if he pm's me his address I'll post it to him to insert for me. B)

but aren't you further down the curvature of the earth, wont that make a difference........ :blink:

I think screwy and matho have very good points!!

. Anyone got an accurate, instantaneous thermometer suitable for HB'ing?

i have a omron PID in a little box that i can just use for temps using a k type probe, it's a lot faster than the couple of ebay $4 temp probes i have
i dont use it to control anything just read temps

you can also normally calibrate the probe for any error on the PID

one of my $4 ebay digi probes ones is 2"c diff (higher) to the others and water boils at +-102.5 with it... so it's worth testing them in ice slurry / boiling water now and then

I have two rtd100 probes in my pids and a thermo pen. They all read exactly the same to .1. My temp of a rolling boil is 100.3. Can't recommend the thermo pen highly enough.

Back