Temperature Controllers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can put me down for "Maybe 2". Before I commit my self, I need some advice what I need in addition to the controllers including cost to set up controllers for my HLT and MLT. I am thinking of: Probes, SSR, box to hold, bits and pieces like cable and plug. In other words, total cost to set ip up...

:chug:
PeterS....

Add me to the definites if the probe is good for HLT duty.

I'll definately take one for chilling.

And I'll take two, if a probe is sourced for the second one which can withstand high temperatures (ie, MLT/HLT).

The guy does not have the info with him, but will check into it. His preliminary thought was that the probes which are supplied would be good for up to 100C submerged, but he will check up on this to be sure.
Even if we get 20 orders, it is unlikely that the price will get any better as that is already a "bulk buy" rate.

As for a price to complete a functioning system... around $4 for an extension lead (Bunnings or similar, which you cut in half to get a plug lead and a socket lead, and you can also get the short connecting wire from it), and around $10 from Dick Smith or similar for a box. A couple of bucks each for cable glands if you are keen.

dreamboat

Confirmation is in that the probe (NTC Type) supplied with the controller is good for being submerged, operating range up to 110C. It is an encapsulated plastic blob on the end of the wire. IIRC the wire length is around 1-1.5m.
Apparently the older metal type (which I have been using) is not suitable for submerging (but I have some heat shrink around the joint).

edit - spelling
dreamboat

Look through this link, for info in English on the Dixell gear.
Included here is the info on the probes, while I am not 100% on which is the standard probe, look at the list of NTC type probes, and one of the first two on the list look like the one which is included, though the link to details of the first type (N6N) is broke. Probes all seem to be rated to 105 or 110C, with IP67 rating which is protection against dust, and protected against submersion between 15cm and 1m.
Looks ideal for most brewing applications, but I would not use in the boiler.
http://www.thermofrostcryo.co.uk/home/dixell.html

dreamboat

dreamboat said:
Confirmation is in that the probe (NTC Type) supplied with the controller is good for being submerged, operating range up to 110C. It is an encapsulated plastic blob on the end of the wire. IIRC the wire length is around 1-1.5m.
Apparently the older metal type (which I have been using) is not suitable for submerging (but I have some heat shrink around the joint).

dreamboat
[post="74471"][/post]​

I am of the opinion that a bit of encapsulated plastic blob on the end of the wire will NOT be able to withstand long term immersion in high temps as required in HERMS and or HLT applications (I am a stainless steel follower).

However, I have convinced myself (right or wrong) that a digital controler would be very nice to control and monitor my HLT and MLT (building a HERMS system). Bearing in mind that the controler is intended for refrigeration work, I wonder whether this is the right type for me or not?. (Perhaps I should see the current set-up of Dreamboat If he invites me?).

Having said that, my current order of ONE still stands, but if I can convince myself (or others do it for me) I might update to TWO. To be confirmed on future information.

:beer:
Peter S....

Peter Shane said:
dreamboat said:

edit - spelling
dreamboat
[post="74471"][/post]​

I am of the opinion that a bit of encapsulated plastic blob on the end of the wire will NOT be able to withstand long term immersion in high temps as required in HERMS and or HLT applications (I am a stainless steel follower).

However, I have convinced myself (right or wrong) that a digital controler would be very nice to control and monitor my HLT and MLT (building a HERMS system). Bearing in mind that the controler is intended for refrigeration work, I wonder whether this is the right type for me or not?. (Perhaps I should see the current set-up of Dreamboat If he invites me?).

Having said that, my current order of ONE still stands, but if I can convince myself (or others do it for me) I might update to TWO. To be confirmed on future information.

:beer:
Peter S....
[post="74483"][/post]​

You can get a stainless probe for these units too. The plastic probe is just a cheap $5 entry level probe.

Well I'm still up for 6, at worst I will upgrade to a better probe later, and possibly make a thermowell for the HLT & mash tun.

Here is some info that i have tracked down on the controllers

xr10c.gif

View attachment xr10c_en.pdf

View attachment dixel_progXR10C.pdf

View attachment prime_eng.pdf

Hello everyone,

How is this progressing? I have just got paid and am itching for a new toy to play with :lol:

I have had my name changed from Hakko to PhilS, so please don't forget me :D

Sintax,

The standard XR10c sold in australia doesn't have an NC contact for the main output, The diagram you posted is for a different market.

here's the link for the Dixell models available on the Australian market.

Dixell

This thread has been around for a couple of weeks now, and I figure that those who are keen have already put their hand up.
Lets say we will finalise numbers at the end of the day Tuesday, and take the process on from there.

dreamboat

Sounds good dreamboat.
So the current list looks something like this:

Hoops 6
Hopeye 2
Batz 1
PhilS 1
barls 1
kbekus 1
mobrien 1
apocrine 1
Sintax69 1
hockadays 1
AndrewQLD 1

Peter Shane 2?
redbeard 2?
jgriffin 2?
briank 2?
kook 2?
JasonY 1?

Can those people with a ? next to their name confirm if they want in and confirm how many.
If this list is wrong please copy, paste and edit the list to reflect what you want.

Hoops

Latest posts

Back