Temperature Controllers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im going to assume this wont have a problem running my old beer fridge. so im in so long as im here i leave next weekend

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, but would be interested in 1 x controller as well.

That's a great way to start here at AHB - 1st post and in on a bulk buy already.

Hoops x 3 maybe 4
mobrien x 1
Peter Shane x 1
Hopsta x 1
briank x 1 maybe 2
AndrewQLD x 1
barls maybe 1
Batz x1
apocrine x1

Still waiting on dreamboat for more info so stay tuned brewers.

Hoops

I am interested in one although it will depend on the price as funds are a bit limited at the moment. Will confirm once pricing is about.

Hoops x 3 maybe 4
mobrien x 1
Peter Shane x 1
Hopsta x 1
briank x 1 maybe 2
AndrewQLD x 1
barls maybe 1
Batz x1
apocrine x1
JasonY x maybe1
Hopeye x2

I spoke with the guy yesterday... the price, for the sort of quantities going here will be $84 each. Plus whatever postage by whatever means.
They are OEM units, so I will print out a copy of the instructions to go out with each unit.
Probes are a sealed plastic blob at the end of the cable. I have older models which came with different style of probe, but for a couple of blokes I have got the plastic ended ones, which have been used without problem afaik.

dreamboat

Dreamboat sounds like a good price. Will these probes be ok up to 80degC in a HLT by themselves or do they need to be enclosed in some kind of probe?

If they are good for 80deg then I will definately take one.

dreamboat said:
I have finally got to speak with the fridgie again....

look on www.dixell.com
model is XR10C
comes with a probe
I believe that the Probe is rated to 80C, but I know that I have used mine up above 90C without a problem (though not for long periods of time)
You or your friendly electrician will need to fit a 240V plug to go into the wall socket, and a flying lead type socket for you to plug your fridge/element/urn into. The whole thing should be mounted in a box or away from prying fingers as 240V can cause damage!
Special price is PROBABLY available until the end of the month, but I would like to sort things out in say a weeks time.

dreamboat
[post="35604"][/post]​

Dreamboat, a few questions bearing mind i am electronically handicapped. When you say "You or your friendly electrician will need to fit a 240V plug to go into the wall socket, and a flying lead type socket for you to plug your fridge/element/urn into." do you mean these units do not come with a plug? So i need to get an electrician to fit a plug to the unit? How much would that cost approx? Is there anything else i need to get done on these units before i can use them? I was hoping that i could just get it plug it into the wall socket stick the probe in the fridge and its done? Although i have never used one of these before so i wouldnt know how they work exactly :blink:
Im planning on using it in my lager fridge to maintain temps of between 3-15*C.

OK. Good questions I suppose.

I would not dare recommend that anyone who is not an electrician should carry out the work required. You need to be a licensed sparky to play with 240V blah blah blah... insert large disclaimer here.

I have wired up a handful of these. All you need is an extension lead to cut in half and an additional piece of wire 3-4 cm long. I also chose to mount the units i have into plastic boxes... while the wiring is not exactly exposed, I have a two year old... so better to be safe than sorry.

I will take some pictures of my box.... post them in the next day or so.... try to clear it up a little.

dreamboat

Cool thanks for clearing that up, looking forward to the pics :)

Having no end of trouble attaching pictures for some reason.... I have not had a problem in the past, and have now tried with both firefox and internet explorer without success.
I will try again in another couple of hours, so stay tuned.....

dreamboat

dreamboat said:
Having no end of trouble attaching pictures for some reason.... I have not had a problem in the past, and have now tried with both firefox and internet explorer without success.
I will try again in another couple of hours, so stay tuned.....

dreamboat
[post="73865"][/post]​

I had problems yesterday too Dreamboat.
The file size of the images was around 400k which used to work fine. I was getting errors from the ISP's caching engine.
I re-sized them down to around 25k and they uploaded and went into the post just fine.

Beers,
Doc

I think one file was 140k.... and I also tried one at 90k.

i will downsize and try again now.

dreamboat

Righto.. here we go again...
Controller in the box which I bought for it

boxed_S1.jpg

What is the Primary Output Proportional Band (percentage of On/Off control) if you can not set the Hysteresis it might result in too much switching resulting in compressor burnout for fridges.

Sorry Dreamboat but if you could remove me from the bulk buy list pls, i was looking for more of a plug and play type unit not really keen on getting an electrician look at it etc... Thanks anyway.

Hopsta said:
Sorry Dreamboat but if you could remove me from the bulk buy list pls, i was looking for more of a plug and play type unit not really keen on getting an electrician look at it etc... Thanks anyway.
[post="73963"][/post]​

Me too Dreamboat , I am a Fitter and Turner not a sparkie
Thanks for all your work mate but drop me from the list as well.

Batz :ph34r:

Back