Temperature After Bottling?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benny_bjc

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm sure I've seen a thread on this before... but I could not find it after extensive searching.

I am wondering, what is the ideal temperature to store beer once bottled and after carbonating for a week?

Thanks

Hey butters is that 10c for ales

Hey butters is that 10c for ales

I should have clarified...I was talking ale, for my entire post. Lagers are a different kettle of fish, and something of a mystery wrapped in an enigma to me. :lol:

Ideal storage for lagers is cold. Proper cold. 10 would be good, 20 reasonable, and <25 OK if you couldn't manage any better....don't know if I'd want to store a lager warmer than that if I could help it, but I'm sure that many (who know more about lagers than I do) might.

Assuming that you allow your bottles to naturally carbonate, which requires 1-2 weeks at room temperature, storage should be cool as a minimum but cold is best. The cooler the storage temperature, generally the longer the beer will last or stay "fresh" tasting. If you have some bacteria in your brew, and we all do to some extent, low temps will help to inhibit the bacteria. Oxygen absorbing bottle caps also help to extend the useful life of your brew.

They are coated with something that scavenges oxygen. Not sure what. All I know is that they do work. Unfortunately I can no longer get them without resorting to mail order from the US.

Back