Temp Control

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Kirk

Reaction score
Hey guys CK here.

I happened to pick up a fridge for a dozen stubbies for the shed but its a 3/4 and the 1/4 freezer doesnt work. I figured i would use it to temp control the fermenting conditioning of my beers.

A bloke i was talking to the other day said to get a temp control box and a heat belt and plug them both into it.

The old man gave me his old heat belt and Ive seen the photo of the temp controller and my questions are:

1 Is this the best option for a new brewer? (will be my second batch) first was done in the lounge wrapped in a kids blanket.

2 Where is a good place to pick one up?

3 What should it be costing me? (I dont want to pay a fortune)

Thanks in Advance

CK

Without a doubt it is worth doing. A way to easily improve your beers. You want an stc-1000, have a look on eBay, they're dirt cheap for what they are but you need to wire them yourself. And as a tip hang the heat belt in the fridge rather than around the fermenter...this way you can increase the air temperature rather than a specific spot on the fermenter

Thanks Citizen.

Is there much to wiring them up? or am I better off shelling out an extra 20 bucks for one i can plug into?
Dont feel like booting myself with mains power hahah

Hey mate are you sure your fridge compartment still works?

Most of these only have once compressor and use the cooling air from the freezer compartment to cool the fridge.

If it works then you have a few options,

Off the shelf temperature controllers can be had for around $60. Keg kings versions around in most brew shops.

http://www.kegking.com.au/Temperature%20Controllers%20and%20Measurement%20Devices.html

- check out a few of AHB sponsors as well

The cheaper option is to go the popular STC 1000 temp controller option and make one yourself.
Either in a Jay car box or fit it somewhere else.

This means playing around with 240 volts and everyone will warn you to get to checked out by an electrician. As will I. Good advice that I never followed but it can kill you.

Heaps of walk-though's on how to on this site and others just be careful.

Few pictures attached of what you can achieve in an hour or so, first one take a while second half the time. My last one I put in another fridge took about 40mins. The box I made for the keezer is just Velcro'd out of the way you could do the same for yours if you go down the plug and play path.

30L ferment.jpg

IMAG0785.jpg

IMAG0786.jpg

IMAG0788.jpg

Hmmm...if the freezer doesn't work, chances are the whole unit is cactus, so you'll be pushing it uphill trying to get any sort of temperature control at all. Fridge/freezer combo's aren't useful for fermentation control anyway.

I'd be inclined to junk it, cut your losses & look for something else (sorry to be the bringer of bad news!).

Captain Kirk said:
Thanks Citizen.

Is there much to wiring them up? or am I better off shelling out an extra 20 bucks for one i can plug into?
Dont feel like booting myself with mains power hahah
I got the STC-1000 myself and used the STC-1000 in Pictures thread, plus some wiring diagrams, not too difficult. However, not sure where you live, but Keg King does fully re-wired ones for about $60 (not an STC-1000, but similar).

EDIT: Just saw elcarter's post. Also, I have been brewing for not long and have a couple. Well worth it, as they say this is one of the key factors in final product - ferm temps.

Elcarter nice looking set up mate. Are you just using the stock thermo that comes with the stc poked through the gladwrap and an inch or so in the wort? If so great idea

citizensnips said:
Without a doubt it is worth doing. A way to easily improve your beers. You want an stc-1000, have a look on eBay, they're dirt cheap for what they are but you need to wire them yourself. And as a tip hang the heat belt in the fridge rather than around the fermenter...this way you can increase the air temperature rather than a specific spot on the fermenter
If you get an stc-1000 off eBay make sure you get the 240v one. It's often not very clear whether one is 240v or 120v.

Also here's a good stc-1000 wiring thread. Post 5 has the best wiring diagram I've yet seen and a video too. Give the whole thread a read. It has good info about the bits you need to get. http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/76143-temp-controller-that-does-not-require-wiring/

citizensnips said:
Elcarter nice looking set up mate. Are you just using the stock thermo that comes with the stc poked through the gladwrap and an inch or so in the wort? If so great idea
Don't get to sexed up about hat setup is just a fridge and a stc. Bit of dremel time and it looks far more complex than it is. Anyone can do it.

Just the stock standard temp probe, not ready to say do it yet I'm still in the trial phase 2nd brew. The probes the fully rubber coated one.

I place it in the middle of the wort at least 6" and it's really helped keep the temp constant the fridge turns on hardly ever now and I rarely see any more than .7 - .5 deg variation from what I set.

I will move to a thermo well one day but this seemed the simplest way to measure exact wort temp without any more equipment except bit of star san and glad wrap.

Latest posts

Back