Temmmp Controller From Pc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anyone is interested, I have completed updating my windows version of this program to allow it to be customised to suit other setups.

You can download it here.

I reckon it is pretty straight forward, however if you have any questions regarding it's use or any trouble getting it going, let me know and I'll try to help out.

Cheers
Bagnol

I've updated the Linux based software I am using to be a little more user friendly, and flexible at the same time.

The attached file contains my butchered thermo.c, to compile it on your linux system is pretty simple, gcc -o thermo thermo.c, you should now have a thermo file which is executible. Unzip the other file, inside which is the relay controller, and follow the instructions in there to get it up and running, rename the executible to relay and put it in the same directory as your thermo file.

You should be able to test the relay file straight away, the same for thermo if you have the temp logger connected to COM2.

The thermo program has some defaults preprogrammed in for my own convenience, it defaults to COM2(/dev/ttyS1), upper temp trigger of 19DegC, lower trigger 16DegC. ie, if temps go above 19DegC, relay 0 will turn on, this should be connected to your fridge. Same for the heater on relay 1.

thermo can take some command line options,
thermo serial hightemp lowtemp
eg, thermo /dev/ttyS0 11 7 would use the temp logger on COM1, trigger the fridge above 11DegC and the heater below 7DegC

I normally start a "screen" session and run thermo in that, which enables me to log on to my linux box remotely and check how things are running, also means that the program doesn't stop if my terminal gets shut down etc.

BTW, all this was done on a SuSe 9.2 box, it should run on any other linux box, but I am not sure about other BSD/Unix flavours. The source is all included, so feel free to meddle with it, and tidy up my code too while you are at it.. ;)

Thanks
Ben

View attachment Thermostat.zip

dreamboat said:
I even ran the telnet to see his current temps... what a great idea for checking up on your brew while at work.

dreamboat
[post="108986"][/post]​

I built his system as per his webpage and it works fine, the only real problem is that there's cables everywhere and a PC takes a up a bit of room.

Latest posts

Back