Techno-tard Can't Wii

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chappo1970

Piss off or Buy Me A Beer
Reaction score
Guys I need help from you more techno-savvy types on purchasing stuff for a Wii that the kids are getting fron Santa.

What are the must haves game wise and accessory wise? Any good 2-4 player games?

Depends on the kids ages, what they are into....

I used to own a Wii, extra contollers/nunchucks might be an option....

Not too sure on games, I used to play mainly car racing/shooting myself, probably not appropriate.

Sorry should have said kids are boy 4yrs and girl 8yrs. They are getting the console and 4 controllers and nunchucks plus 2 games that come with the package deal.

SWMBO likes games like Buzz, Sing Star and Mario Bros.

Boy likes anything where there is mass destruction.

Girl likes singing and all that other girly stuff.

Chappo like the boy likes death, carnage and racing games.

Just hate forking over $40 plus dollars for dud games that hold your interest for 10 secs half of which was the opening sequence.

@Stu get a Linux box up ya! :)

Get at least 2 controllers with nunchucks. I'd recommend getting as many controllers as you have kids. Also get rechargeable batteries with a fast charge cradle. Saves a lot of $ in the long run. The wii fit balance board is definitely worth it. The kids use that more than anything.

Games - up to you. Haven't really come across any duds, at least according to my kids.

Hey Chap Chap,
Not much into the video game thing, but in visiting the relatives, I've spent a fair amount of time on the Wii. The Resort is a good allrounder game the whole family can play.

As my sister-in-law (to be - probably) is right into her Wii gaming, I thought I'd look for a Wii pole dancing game, but haven't come across it yet. If you see it, can you let me know.

edit: to pissed to spell properlike

Thanks Maple!

...I thought I'd look for a Wii pole dancing game, but haven't come across it yet. If you see it, can you let me know.

Unfortunately as soon as I read about that pole dancing this image sprang to mind... :ph34r:

2507605-Pole-Dancing-Cow-1.jpg

:lol:

But I will let you know if I find it!

hahahahahahaha

but seriously chap chap I may or may not know a way to make this easier for you but it may or may not be kosher.

You will need 1 wii-mote & nunchuck controller per child & rechargeable batteries. Dont bother with the cheap and nasty plastic snap on accessories (the stuff that clips onto the remote to make it look like a tennis racquet, golf club etc).

Games wise anything Mario would be a safe bet. Boom Blox is pretty fun and should be fairly cheap now. I would strongly recommend you stay away from Madworld & House of the Dead Overkill as they both have content that is very inappropriate for children (language, sex & violence)

Make sure you still have a free set of AV ports on your tv as well

Chappo

I have two boys, 6yr & 4yr, and they got a wii last xmas.

Get mario cart, my kids have spent a thousand hours playing it and they still love it. you'll need 2 wii motes and 2 steering wheels so they can race together.

Also, a good but safe semi-violent game that the kids love is the star wars lego game. They get to shoot and light-sabre heaps of baddies but the good thing is that when you kill someone they just fall to pieces (like lego), no blood or real violence.

they are getting the new super mario game this year. it seems like more of a traditional console game rather than you're wave-around wii game so not sure how they'll go....

if you google something like 'wii game review' there's a website (might be called mywii.com.au) and there's some really good info there on good games and bad games. the kids will keep coming back to the good games but the bad games they tend to play only once or twice, so for mine its better to do a bit of research and maybe stay away from the bargain bin....

can't help with girly stuff.

Spencer

The wii is all bout Mario Kart! such a great little game.

Get Mario Kart for the boy and singstar for the girl.

Alos the sports games are great.

the new mario bros game is supposed to be one of the best non bundled selling games ever so I'd suggest thats probably a good one to look at

mod chip or soft mod

wii fit

Reject hop have "accessory pack" for $20 at the moment.

Wii is awesome :p

If you want to get games to suit everybody...get

1. Super Mario Bros Wii (very similar to the old original game)
2. Mario Kart (you can even connect your Wii to your internet connection (wired or wireless) and play against peple worldwide...maybe we can have an AHB comp :p )
3. Wii Sports ... this is a great game for the whole family, tennis, golf, bowling etc...can't go wrong.

If you are to buy say only a few games I would say get those..they are great games for all ages/sexes/abilities/drunkeness.

Pok

Thanks guys. I'm about to venture out and see if I can sort something out at the retailers. Maybe I should go via CraftBrewers and just check that they don't have any Wii stuff on offer? :p I appreciate it's a bit like asking which is the better beer to buy. Completely subjective I would imagine. We have only just secumbed to the Wii as the good old xbox finally carked it. I'm no gamer and prefer the kids and family to enjoy the great outdoors whenever possible considering we live on a river and all. However they do have their place in subduing the kiddies on those days where going outdoors is not an option.

Thanks for advising on the blood/violent games as well because SWMBO wouldn't tollerate it. Little bloke is a lot like the old boy and doesn't need any more encouragement. He has already belted 2 of his cousins in the last week FFS! <_< And it's not even Christmas Day? :lol:

Cheers

Chap Chap

@Supra-Jim mate I would give that to SWMBO but I don't think I could out run her! :lol:

@Supra-Jim mate I would give that to SWMBO but I don't think I could out run her! :lol:

Maybe you could get your self a copy of Wii Fit, play with that for a couple of weeks, then mail order Call of Duty, then jump in the car and just keep driving :p

Cheers SJ

I really think they will get tonnes of enjoyment from Wii Sports.

+1 for Mario Kart.
Also look at Wii Sports Resort and a couple of Wii Motion Plus controls. Not sure how that scales down age wise, but was a whole new dimension for me :p

My brother bought Guitar Hero World Tour a while back and that was stacks of fun too (I wasn't allowed to for some reason ;P)

Wii Fit is fun, but only 1 player. My 3 year old really digs the yoga for some reason.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

My 2 boys love mario and sonic olympic games. It has lots of micro games to play so there's something for everyone.

And yes get yourself some AA rechargable batteries.

EB games has on special at the moment (well down here in adelaide) 2 pack rechargable battery pack with charger base...it is powered off the Wii so no need for a seperate power point. The battery pack goes in the back of the Wii controller and you just stand the controller up in the charger.

Normally Approx $39.94, I paid $19.97

http://www.ebgames.com.au/wii-148441-Wii-D...er-Nintendo-Wii

Will save you a bucket it rechargeable batteries.

Big W has a unit that does 4 remotes for about $50 I think...could have been more, could have been less...I am not sure.

Cheers, Pok

Back