Tea Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering what people thinks best, to lager the tea at 10-14C or just treat it like a normal ale and have it sitting at around 18C????

I'll take two.

We have a special one made up for you ;)

Do i dare?

gltshirt.jpg

Just wondering what people thinks best, to lager the tea at 10-14C or just treat it like a normal ale and have it sitting at around 18C????

That would depend entirely on the chosen yeast and its relevant temp range.

Fair enought. Let me rephrase the question :p . What yeast would you suggest to use???

I would check with Ross what yeast was used in that posted green tea beer.

I've never done this kind of thing so my answer is entirely theoretical.

If you were looking for an alcoholic beverage based on tea as suggested in the first place, or if you were looking to explore the (sometimes extremely) subtle characteristics of many teas, I would go either a lager yeast or a very neutral ale yeast.

Fair enought. Let me rephrase the question :p . What yeast would you suggest to use???

I once experimented with a green tea mix, this is what i drink on my no alcohol days.

Consists of Green Tea, Ginger and young lemon leaves
I added some brew enhancer and used S04 yeast.

After a couple of weeks in bottles it tasted ok, but I thought the fizz actually detracted from the taste.
Left one in the fridge in a glass overnight to reduce the gas and much better.

I used S04 so I could brew fairly quickly whle not adding too much "beer" flavour from the yeast/brew process.
That's also why I used brew enhancer (that and it was sitting in the fridge unused) - so as not to
add too much maltiness.

So in summary I guess I'm saying that if you want the tea to taste like tea -
don't use a yeast that modifies the flavour too much
and use those sugars AGB'ers roll their eyes at :lol:

If you want it beery, there's a good few recipes above.
I'd think a green tea lager might be nice
but for the brown tea, perhaps an ale or would a "steam beer" be the way to go ;)

Since I'm waiting on some ingredients to arrive I thought I'd use up some leftover bits and try a tea beer. This is what I just put down:
Code:
Recipe: Tea Beer  

TYPE: Extract  

Recipe Specifications  

--------------------------  

Batch Size: 5.00 L		

Boil Size: 5.50 L  

Measured OG: 1.049 SG  

Estimated Color: 12.9 EBC  

Estimated IBU: 18.1 IBU  

Boil Time: 15 Minutes  

Ingredients:  

------------  

Amount		Item									  Type		 % or IBU		

0.55 kg	   Light Dry Extract (8.0 EBC)			   Dry Extract  68.75 %		 

0.05 kg	   Cara-Pils (3.9 EBC)					   Grain		6.25 %		  

0.05 kg	   Crystal (100.0 EBC)					   Grain		6.25 %		  

18.00 gm	  Hallertauer Aroma [5.90 %]  (10 min)	  Hops		 18.1 IBU		

11.00 gm	  Tea - Lapsang Souchong (0 min)			Misc						 

0.15 kg	   Raw Sugar (3.9 EBC)					   Sugar		18.75 %		 

1 Pkgs		American Ale (US-05) 

Notes:

----------

Steep grains in 65c water for 30 mins. Bring to boil 5.5L water, add liquid from grains, LDME and raw sugar, boil 5 mins. Add hops, boil 10 mins. Flame out, add tea. Chill, strain into fermenter, pitch yeast at 20c or under.

The tea was 5 Lipton Lapsang Souchong (smoked tea) teabags, tea removed from the bags. This was was just some random leftover tea from my cupboards but I thought the smoked flavour would add something interesting. Quantities of ingredients might seem a little strange since they were just leftover bits and pieces, even the yeast was some leftover slurry from another brew.
Although it was thrown together the taste from the hydrometer jar is really quite nice. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Thanks for the idea guys. :)

Tell me how it turns out. Decided to do ginger beer instead this week but still think it's an achievable idea with some experimenting.

Latest posts

Back