Tastes Like F***ing Wine!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirty mac

Reaction score
Hey Guys.
I've got my first lager well and truly on the way. Its a pilsner. Couple of days ago I racked into secondary and the fermenter is sitting in the fridge at 12C for some further conditioning until I cold condition it in a few more days. Anyway once I'd racked it, I gave it a taste and it was great... exactly like a stella artois.
Just yesterday I checked the SG and tasted it again but this time it had a really strong alcohol taste and is starting to get a real cidery kind of vibe. Is this normal and will it lose those unwanted flavours after lagering?? :(

Hey Guys.
I've got my first lager well and truly on the way. Its a pilsner. Couple of days ago I racked into secondary and the fermenter is sitting in the fridge at 12C for some further conditioning until I cold condition it in a few more days. Anyway once I'd racked it, I gave it a taste and it was great... exactly like a stella artois.
Just yesterday I checked the SG and tasted it again but this time it had a really strong alcohol taste and is starting to get a real cidery kind of vibe. Is this normal and will it lose those unwanted flavours after lagering?? :(

Common for lagers to get a bit of green apple/butterscotch at the start of lagering when everything else starts to fade away. Not usually a problem after a couple of weeks. Just give it time.

As stated before its a non issue at this point.

I always think my beer particularly my lagers tastes like white wine until its finished secondary in the bottle. Its weird, must be the combination of the temp, the ferment by products and the lack of carbonation.

Will

Latest posts

Back