Tastes Like Chemicals?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it tastes like metho it could be fusel alcohols. Higher temperatures are usually the cause as well as insufficient yeast or poor yeast health or lack of oxygen to the yeast early during growth.

This page might help you identify what you're tasting - unstable temps can also lead to the production of esters, some of which taste like fruits and some of which taste like nail polish remover (acetone).

http://www.homebrewzone.com/off-flavors.htm

Get a fresh tin.
Get some new yeast that is within useby and has been kept in the fridge. Try safale US05 which comes in 11.5 gram packs and ferments clean and neutral.
When you mix the goop and water use a clean sanitised whisk to aerate everything
Ferment at 18 degrees, constantly until finished then leave for another week.
Make sure you leave the bottles to condition for a good few weeks (try 4 weeks)

+2? :huh:

Possibly new to forums and didn't quite figure it out?

Sorry, I was being a bit obtuse there. I was wondering if his post constituted a "+1".

It happened to me once before and I'll swear on the atheist bible that I had actually written stuff and it got lost sometime after I hit "Add Reply".

Sorry, I was being a bit obtuse there. I was wondering if his post constituted a "+1".

Happens to me in Firefox under Vista occasionally too. Weird.

Someone commented about stale malt giving a metallic taste. I can't say I've had it from a can, but only from the bulk pails of unhopped malt (28 kg). I didn't float some vodka on top of one honey pail of it and left it for about six months - only a few kg at the bottom of the pail. It was certainly oxidised and wasn't nice at all. Now I only buy LDME bulk and just grab cans of unhopped extracts when I want to play with other styles and types.

The only can I have had which tasted like chemicals was Cerveza. Tasted like aspirin until a month or so of bottle conditioning. I won't be making it again as have migrated SWMBO to proper ales, etc.

Cheers - Fermented.

Yay so I left the Snowy Mountain Pale for another four or so weeks. And now it tastes like drinkable beer... A little shallow (Lacking body) but certainly not disgusting... Thanks all for your help...

####s are fun.

Doin your freind is better.

But with a #### you might get an STD which is kinda cool. I mean its like a chance game "Wonder if im gonna get an STD this time?"

If it tastes like metho it could be fusel alcohols. Higher temperatures are usually the cause as well as insufficient yeast or poor yeast health or lack of oxygen to the yeast early during growth.

This page might help you identify what you're tasting - unstable temps can also lead to the production of esters, some of which taste like fruits and some of which taste like nail polish remover (acetone).

http://www.homebrewzone.com/off-flavors.htm

Get a fresh tin.
Get some new yeast that is within useby and has been kept in the fridge. Try safale US05 which comes in 11.5 gram packs and ferments clean and neutral.
When you mix the goop and water use a clean sanitised whisk to aerate everything
Ferment at 18 degrees, constantly until finished then leave for another week.
Make sure you leave the bottles to condition for a good few weeks (try 4 weeks)

+3 - Exactly what i was about to type up.

Yay so I left the Snowy Mountain Pale for another four or so weeks. And now it tastes like drinkable beer... A little shallow (Lacking body) but certainly not disgusting... Thanks all for your help...

You can get a bit more out of your brew by steeping speciality grains and adding them into your kit. Or pissing off the kits and moving up to extract/grain brewing. Which is a noticable step up from kits, but a little more expensive

Latest posts

Back