Tasmanian Breweries, Pubs and Distilleries

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the ones I've been to (tourist from QLD) have been mentioned. One other Hobart pub that hasn't been - Preachers. They had some two metre tall & other locals on tap when I was there.
my favourite Hobart pub was the New Sydney - local beers on tap, large randall + handpump, and really hearty food.
If you're planning on visiting the Two Metre Tall farmstead - check which days they're open before you go

Im down here at the moment from vic. I went to captain blighs monthly open last night and im feeling dusty to say the least. The imperial stout definitely sneeks up on you. FYI i went past seven sheds and they dont open monday and tuesday. St johns was pretty cool. Stopped in and had a M.O former tenent red Ipa. Blew my socks off. Was planning to hit up shambles tonight if i can get off the couch. Also if you head to port arthur theres a lavender farm and it says distillery on the sign..... a word of warning there is NO Alcohol. Dont get sucked in like i did ha ha

I just got back, Two Meter Tall was awesome... Such a great little place.

I was drinking at Watermans Beer Market in Hobart, great selection of beers, but hugely expensive. I paid $20 for a pint can of Panhead Johnny Octane Red IPA... which I was drunk enough to accept.

I walked past this joint on the last day, unfortunately I did not have time to go in, wish I'd seen it earlier. https://www.facebook.com/shamblesbrewery/

Staying @ white sands Estate on the east coast. Happy coincidence that its the home of iron house brewery /distillery/winery . Stay here if you can. The units are great overlooking the beach. The restaurant meals taste great and fairly priced and they do takeaways ( beer/ wines). Also saw a bunch of growlers in the tasting room 9-5. Beers were great they had there staples u.s pale,lager,pilsner,porter,wheat. With rotating specialty taps , kolsch ,honey porter. They also make gin which im planing on having a tipple tomorrow. Fun times .

Liam_snorkel said:
Most of the ones I've been to (tourist from QLD) have been mentioned. One other Hobart pub that hasn't been - Preachers. They had some two metre tall & other locals on tap when I was there.
my favourite Hobart pub was the New Sydney - local beers on tap, large randall + handpump, and really hearty food.
If you're planning on visiting the Two Metre Tall farmstead - check which days they're open before you go
Thanks for tweaking my memory,I couldn't remember a pub I had a session at when last in Hobart and the New Sydney was it .
A good pub with a shmick looking Randell and a good selection of beers,was shitfaced by the time I left.

manticle said:
MONA museum, winery and wine bar.
Great architecture and surrounds, good wine, great selection of beer, wine and spirits, including draught moo brew. If you go into the museum, you can spend time at the void bar on the bottom level but museum entry is not required (I'd recommend it though).

Nant whisky bar in salamanca.
There is a distillery on the way to port arthur and Port arthur itself is well worth a visit.
Manticle, I think I've heard of this museum.....

Thanks again all. Im on my way over and ill keep posted on the places i have tried and beers tasted. Looking forward to the eats and drinks.

We've had some lovely sunny autumn weather recently, interspersed with some rain.
However from tomorrow, rain is forecast nearly all week.
Still a beautiful place to visit (and live).

I just got back from a week in Tassie. I went to:

Nant Distillery Hobart - Good
Lark Distillery/Cellar Door Hobart - Good
Tasmania House of Whiskey Bruny Island - Great setting, nice staff, lots of whiskey.

Moo Brew at MONA Hobart - Excellent. The hefe was a bit meh but hopefully it was a 1 off bad batch.
Shambles Hobart - Bland and slightly astringent. I wouldnt take myself back there but would be happy to go if someone else wanted to. The beers need a little work in this tough market.
New Sydney Hotel Hobart - Excellent irish/english style craft beer bar.
Bruny Island Cheese and Beer Co - Cheese was nice, nice setting, beer was quite astringent. The base of a great beer was there but need that astringency fixed. Didnt finish it.
Watermans Beer Market Pub Hobart - Excellent craft beer bar.

danestead said:
I just got back from a week in Tassie. I went to:

Nant Distillery Hobart - Good
Lark Distillery/Cellar Door Hobart - Good
Tasmania House of Whiskey Bruny Island - Great setting, nice staff, lots of whiskey.

Moo Brew at MONA Hobart - Excellent. The hefe was a bit meh but hopefully it was a 1 off bad batch.
Shambles Hobart - Bland and slightly astringent. I wouldnt take myself back there but would be happy to go if someone else wanted to. The beers need a little work in this tough market.
New Sydney Hotel Hobart - Excellent irish/english style craft beer bar.
Bruny Island Cheese and Beer Co - Cheese was nice, nice setting, beer was quite astringent. The base of a great beer was there but need that astringency fixed. Didnt finish it.
Watermans Beer Market Pub Hobart - Excellent craft beer bar.
Cheers Dane,
We are headed to bruno for a little while, looking forward to it. Good to get that feedback. Much appreciated.

manticle said:
Bruno as in bruny?

Should have no regrets. Amazing place.
Yeh i dont think i will. Looking forward to the whole thing really. Holidays. Soooo good.

I toured Tassie on my motorbike about 15 months ago. My advice is very simple. Walk in to the bar of a small pub, shout a beer or two to the locals and ask their advice. I have travelled the world and never met more honest or friendly people than in Tassie. Cracking, real people......truely beautiful place. You will have a ball. Anthony

:icon_offtopic: The butchers shop at Snug has really top meat..it's on your way to kettering

Arrived in hobart yesterday. On the way ive had stops in bruny nd Launceston.
Ive enjoyed a few different brews so far. Moo brew was of course great, ive had the pale, dark ale and wheat. Enjoyed all 3 so far. I slowly poured the wheat to a glass and it was beautifully crystal clear without stirring the bottom. I enjoyed that one, great drop for a warmer day. Pale and dark ale were both very palatable. Soft and well balanced.
On Bruny i was able to get a a bottle of Black Inca from 7 sheds. Amazing drop. Especially with oysters! Dark with cocoa, oats and quinoa.
Off to port Arthur today and looking for more sites and brews.
Cheers

1463096166988.jpg

Also went to The cheese place on bruny island. There beers were well put by dane, i did not like them much at all. I did a taster but didnt buy another. Not worth it for me, mind you the guy next to me loved them so all personal really.

Latest posts

Back