Taps For Herms

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfella

Reaction score
I'm finally at the point of doing the finishing touches of my new HERMS. The Plumbing. I was wondering if any of you guys out there who have built or use a HERMS can tell me. Do you think I need to put a tap at both ends of the line. i.e. 1 on the output of the HLT then 1 on the input to the pump. or can I get away with just the one on the HLT. I was going to work this out by trial and error but thought I would throw the question out there.

Thanks

I have one on each, I started with just a gate valve on the input so I could accurately control flow rate but got sick of all of the winding and dribbles so grabbed a ball valve and swapped them around so ball on in and gate on out. I will probably lose the gate on the output as I have better control with the ball that what I expected (the Herms is only 6 brews old). I'm guessing the gate valve is also a good trap for bugs too.
Cheers
Doug
Herms.jpg
Edit: Dammit ! the image is upright on my screen why does it flip :-(

Bigfella

All flow restrictions should be done on the outlet side of a pump.

The only tap you should have on the inlet is the actual Mash tun off tap (which should be open fully during heat exchange pumping)

I have a tap on the outlet of the pump, one on heat exchange coil and one on a bypass line around coil so I can regulate to an intermediate temp below the heat exchange water temp. That covers all bases...

Asher for now

DSC00422.JPG

This is my HERMS(dunno about pic quality) and Ive got a valve on both sides of the pump so that I can isolated the pump after running hot water thru after a brew and close the circuit.

I dont have a valve on my HLT , but three(dunno why,it just happened) in the recirculation circuit(one on MLT, inlet manifold and to heat exchanger)

hope it helps....

Back