Tagine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopdog

Reaction score
hi guys i just got a tagine, any kick arse recipe's

cheers :beer:

I love tagines.

If you can find it, Paula Wolfert's "Moroccan Cuisine" is the best Moroccan recipe book ever.

One of my favourites - Fish tagine with tomatoes, peppers and potatoes (bit fiddly but well worth it) -

1 large firm fleshed white fish (round 2kg)\lemon juice
charmoula
3 large potatoes
3 tomatoes
3 green capsicums
1 or 2 cloves garlic
1.5 tablespoons tomato puree
6 tablespoons lemon juice
6 tablespoons oil.

Wash the fish. Rub with salt, leave for 10 mins, rinse again and pat dry. If it smells fishy, run with lemon juice then rinse before salting.

Slice crosswise into 5-6 large pieces. Run each piece with charmoula and let stand for 3 mins at least

Peel potatoes and slice thinly. Slice tomatoes crosswise. Halve the capsicums and remove seeds.

Place fish in bottom of tagine (traditionally they make a lattice of cane, you can use bamboo chopsticks, to keep the fish off the bottom... i usually don't bother). Dip potatoes in charmoula and spread over fish. Repeat with tomatoes then capsicums. Chop garlic and sprinkle over the top.

Mix remaining charmoula with tomato puree, lemon juice, olive oil and 8 tablespoons water. Pour the sauce over the fish. Cover and bake in moderate oven for around 35 mins (or cook over coals/gas/whatever your tagine is good for).

Crank oven right up, place tagine on highest shelf and bake for another 20 mins or until a nice crust forms on the vegies.

Charmoula -

6 tablespoons coriander leaves.
6 tablespoons parsley
4-5 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons vinegar
4 tablespoons lemon juice
1/5 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon cumin
cayenne to taste.

Blend herbs with garlic and vinegar till pasty. Dump into mixing bowl and stir in lemon juice, salt and spices.

Friend got me the Masterchef 2 recipe book for christmas. It has a great chicken and date tajine recipe. Doesn't seem to be on their website and book is at home. Maybe you have access to a copy or if I remember I'll post it. Served it up with a couscous salad which has toasted almonds, orange segments and cranberries. Recipe also at home sorry. Will try to post it also.

We scored a tajine a couple of years back. Our neighbour had bought it for her daughters who said she wanted one then subsequently changed her mind. It did the rounds of their family but was only used once if that before they offered it to us. Then guess what the boss gets me for Christmas just gone, exactly the same tajine. Fortunately I knew where whe bought it so snuck it back there and exchanged it. They're not only great for cooking tajines but any type of casserole and curry. Hmmm, where's the drool emoticon?

Lambs shanks
tin of diced tomatoes
diced onion
some stock if you think it needs it
bit of spice if you think it needs it
bout 3 hours on lowest heat on small gas burner

Bliss

Had this last night, meat just falling off the bone

Back