T58 In A 1.080 Belgian

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elec

Reaction score
Just cubed my first attempt at a big Belgian , and am wondering what would be the best approach when some fermenter space is freed up. I've heard you need a robust yeast to get the job done on these big beers, so should I culture up one packet of T58 into , say, a 2L starter, or just rehydrate 2 packets and hurl that in?

Any advice on the matter is appreciated.

Regards

go the starter and you probably want a 3L starter. Mr Malty says a 4.5L starter with liquid yeast and 16g of dried yeast.

so either culture up a massive arse starter from the t58 or pitch multiple packs or make a starter from 16g of yeast just to get the ball rolling.

you'll also want to add some simple sugars about 2/3 of the way through ferment just to rouse the lazy yeasts up.

Wouldn't recommend what I did but just letting you know what worked for me for your reference.

Had a Belgian Strong measuring 1.080. Used one T-58 rehydrated and it took off no problems and finished fine at a steady 21 degrees right through.
Good pleasant beer with light spiced notes to it and subtle pear esters.

Everyone I speak to recommends large yeast counts for high gravity beers - but maybe it's something about the T-58 :blink: , seemed to work fine with just one 11.5g sachet for me.

Hopper.

I used 2 packets (23g) of T-58 in a 23 lt batch of 1.106 OG Belgian and it went like a rocket. Just sprinkled on top and it hit final gravity of 1.030 in under a week.

The only issue I have with T-58 is that it does not attenuate very well - most I can get is 70% out of it, sometimes closer to 60%.

Cheers, Andrew.

go the t58!!!

I chucked 3 packs of nottingham straight into a 1.100 RIS and it koncked out i recon about 80% of the way through. probably my fault for being an inexperianced brewer back then.

given that malty only rcomends 16g of yeast you could always make a 1.5L-2L starter with 1 pack and chuck that.

Could you please give me a heads up about " you'll also want to add some simple sugars about 2/3 of the way through ferment just to rouse the lazy yeasts up." CM ?

Regards

big gravity beers are notorious for the yeast getting lazy/tired of chewing through all those complex sugars. so throwing in some simple sugar (whether it be table sugar or just some more LDME etc) just gives them something easy to feed on and wake them up so they can chew on wih the remaining brew.

very common in belgians and higher gravity beers. if you read the 'flavour of the week' belgian post there should be more info there.

+1 on that comment.

I've had my last 2 batches die off way too early.

Porter 1.060 finished at 1.030 with nottingham
Belgian 1.054 finished at 1.020 with WLP570

Both cultured up 1.5L starters into 15L batch. Big Krausen , away we go. but stops too soon.

Ferment temps where fine (ferment fridge temp controlled), Did the usual swirl etc . nothing wakes this stuff up.

Can you explain the use of additional sugars to wake up lazy yeast?

BOG

Ok, just saw your post, I'm a slow typer..

Latest posts

Back