T.a.s.t.e. 2011 Close-enough-to-get-to-adelaide Autumn Case Swap Threa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Onto Phil's beer now.

A bit lively as mentioned before. Beautiful copper colour. Umm what ABV is this? I feel a bit of a glow coming on and can taste some alcohol. Very nice bitterness. I'm picking up some yeasty esters I think in the aroma and flavour? or is that
the hops. I don't really know.

I like this a lot cheers mate.

FILE0625_360x480.jpg

Maltyhops' Belgian Blonde

It's a little dark for a Belgian blonde, but oh well. It tastes like there are some spices in there, I'm getting something that might be ginger. Hops are at a nice level, though for me it's a little too sugary sweet- I prefer a more dry, biscuity-like sweetness. That said, the sweetness does work in this beer as it helps create a three corner flavour of spiciness, moderate bitterness and sweetness to make sure the other two don't overpower and make it taste blegh. Enjoyable, though I personally wouldn't call it a Belgian blonde ;)

EDIT: man, that pic is poor. sorry.

Maltyhops' Belgian Blonde
... Enjoyable, though I personally wouldn't call it a Belgian blonde ;)
Ha ha, how about Belgian Bleach Blonde With Roots Showing? One day I may
worry about the colour in beers and the recipe was for a Blonde I found on AHB
I think.

I was worried about the sweetness when I was bottling it (even before adding
priming sugar) and people would find it a bit cloying but it's actually less sweet
now. Maybe it's a sign fermentation was not quite finished though I don't think
it was that far off and I went for a CO2 volume of 2.5 so hopefully it should be
safe - I'll keep an eye on the pressure check bottle from that batch.

Thanks for the feed back, D.

T.

ive had a few now,

the stubbies were good liked both cpa was a bit sweet for a cpa but i liked it.

mom loved ur stout was a nice beer, been a while since i had one n that hit the spot last night

maltyhops, your beer was great i enjoyed it. not much to say but was this a kit? if so its a great kit, if not i get a kit taste.

tony, had the same problem with carb, let mine sit with half open lid for a day. poured ok but tasted really bitter. honestly didnt finish it. just didnt taste right to me but have not had a esb like that be for

phil, ur beer is awesome, over carb problem gives a funny taste but this is a good beer. mrs fury had a taste n said it tasted like beer flavoured soft drink.

Mom, Awsome,
This for me is part of the learning curve, I really appreciate HONEST feedback, as this can only help me improve .I bottled a stout tonght, and can see falws in my process?

Regards Tony

FILE0631_640x480.jpg

It had 20 on the cap- Simma?

It seems I opened it a couple of days early. Oh well. Poured with some large bubbles that seemed almost soft drink size, I'm not sure of your carbonation methods but head and carbonation seem to suffer a little. However, that is a small issue with what is overall a nice beer. This one is nice and refreshing with some grassy notes which I *love* (my other half complains about every so many of my beers tasting like lawn clippings), a present but somewhat refreshing hop flavour, and forward but not overbearing hop bitterness. I'm getting Mars bar-like caramel in the flavour which works well to counteract the IBUs and deliver balance. An overall very nice to drink beer. If I am to nitpick just a little, I would prefer it if I got a bit of hop on the nose... but not a big issue. Cheers!

Edit: hmm, I'll rethink my lighting for next time. It's more brown in real life.

We had a few that were left in the back fridge tonight some with no numbers or lables. One of them was number 19 JestersDarts - Autumn Amber Ale. I found it very easy to drink. It did not seem to have a big hoppy taste or smell, but was nice and malty and smooth. (im not good at describing) In short....I enjoyed it very much! Cheers!

:icon_cheers:

Mom, Awsome,
This for me is part of the learning curve, I really appreciate HONEST feedback, as this can only help me improve .I bottled a stout tonght, and can see falws in my process?

Regards Tony

tony, think it was probably just a style of esb i wasnt used to.. i did get some good flavours when i drank it slowerly.. still got some of this left. might try having another crack later. :D

Mom's stout.

YES! Hit the spot. Just a tad under carbed, but not by much. Nice balance of choc/coffee/roasty and easy to drink. Loved it.

Dan's brown porter.

You used my favourite yeast so I am a bit biased. I really like label with all the info. Very complex coffee/toast flavour going on. Nice one.

Tony's ESB.

Esters on the nose with a big malt hit in the taste. Glad it wasn't overcarbed like mine. Very enjoyable beer to drink. Loved it...makes me want to say that it was a gusher with the off chance you would give me another :)

I just read 'ready to drink' in the article, not 'ready to drink 9/4/11'...

woops, good thing I didn't crack it already...does it need to carb up still or can it sit in my fridge?

Yeah, it could do with another week or so at room temp to carb up.

We had a few that were left in the back fridge tonight some with no numbers or lables.

If there were coopers stubbies with blue lids then they were my ones I left behind. (K&K Coopers PA with Galaxy hops for flavouring)
I don't know how long they they would hold up for as I just filled up the bottles out of my keg and capped them. I usually drink them on the same night so I don't notice any degrading of the flavors.

HC

edit: spelkiong + extra info

Quantum Brewers Not so Irish Red

Nice sublte hop flavour with minimal aroma. Reasonably Brown in colour, good bitterness just outweighing the medium bodied malt. Bitterness lingers for a short period. Carbonation is low, minimal lacing on the glass - limited by the cpbf I presume?

Clean ferment, and a nice version of a 'not so' red imo.

The missus is a fan of this one!

Edit - re colour: it does have some reddish hues.

Nevalicious - South Pacific IPA

mmm hop juice :icon_drool2: ... nice aroma when cracking the lid. perfect carb (what's the secret?) Lingering bitterness that sort of coats your mouth. dry taste with a heap of hoppy stonefruit type flavours going on.

This is a cracker. Cheers mate!!

Nevalicious - South Pacific IPA

mmm hop juice :icon_drool2: ... nice aroma when cracking the lid. perfect carb (what's the secret?) Lingering bitterness that sort of coats your mouth. dry taste with a heap of hoppy stonefruit type flavours going on.

This is a cracker. Cheers mate!!

Drinking this one tonight as well...you dry hopped this yeah?

Lovely c hop aroma. Very well made beer my friend, very well.

Cheers
Phil

It seems I opened it a couple of days early. Oh well. Poured with some large bubbles that seemed almost soft drink size, I'm not sure of your carbonation methods but head and carbonation seem to suffer a little.

This is the first bottle conditioned beer I've brewed in well over a year, for this particular batch I used a single "Country Brewer Brand" carbonation drop per long neck. My aim was to keep the carbonation on the low side.

Am glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the feedback. :beer:

17. Awesome Fury

I thought it would be appropriate to crack this one tonight to celebrate Mr and Mrs Fury's brand new addition. Congratulations guys!!!

Good looking beer pale copper colour clear. Nice carb. Loads of Nelson aroma and flavour. Balanced bitterness. Very sessionable tasty beer. I think you've finally nailed this one. Cheers mate.

maltyhops, your beer was great i enjoyed it. not much to say but was this a kit?
if so its a great kit, if not i get a kit taste.
Firstly, sounds like congratulations are in order for Mr & Mrs Fury
getting a little Furious :beerbang:

My swap beer is in fact my very first all-grain attempt, overseen by
Hatchy who was good enough to let me use his brewery on what
was a bit of a hazy night/morning (started around 8 and I left with
cubes not long before dawn).

T.

Maltyhops, you must have used us05 then maybe, i got some kit thing outta it, but might have just been the alc content?

Yes my assistant brewer was born on the 31st, cute little girl! :party:
I was actually just finishing my mashout when i got the call to go home and stop brewing.. was a hard choice. :lol: jk

I left the brew mashing at 50degrees for 24 hours... do you think it'll still be ok??? kinda wanna complete it as it was being brewed as the baby was born... hehehehe..

anyway, had a few other beers last night, dont really have time for tasting notes, but loved the IPAs.

Cheers Guys.

Back