Sydney Water - Should I Purify?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brendanox

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just a question about purifying water...

I'm a newbie and only use kits at the moment. And I've just been using Sydney tap water in all steps in process.

What are your guys thoughts on purifying water?
Should I be purifying the water (boiling and letting it cool) before I use it? Would it affect the taste very much? :unsure:
I like and drink Sydney water so didn't think it would matter. but thought I might ask...

Also does water purification matter more when your brewing AG?

thanks!
Brendan

If you are only boiling the water and letting it cool it's a bit pointless if you are also going to boil it as part of your brewing process (such as in AG brewing).
However filtering to 'Purify' the water of chlorine and other unwanted stuff is a good idea IMHO.

Personally I wouldn't bother doing anything to the water if you're only doing kits, it would be way down the list of priorities. There's a lot more important things you could do if you want to improve your brews, eg: temperature control, using good yeast, fresh kits, fresh hops, good recipes etc etc.

If you like; make two identical batches one with tap water, one with supermarket bought spring water & do a side by side comparison to see if you can taste the difference. I'd wager that you wont.

Thanks very much for your responses guys.

Yeah Phoney, I think you're right. I will pay more attention to the other factors.
I thought this was the case but wanted to check. Thanks for your help!!!

Back