Sydney Us Hops Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJR

I'm out
Reaction score
UPDATE: The buy is all over for the moment as we are fully up to 25lbs. If anyone wants some information on ordering bulk from Hopsdirect PM me.

Hey all

This is for the Sydney brewers mainly, bit of an ISB thing but to get the prices down a bit, we can order up to a maximum of 20lbs (9 kilos) of hops. So if you're interested, get in quick and PM or email me for more details. If you're outside Sydney, let me know if you're interested anyway as it will probably help to get more people in on it, but people from Sydney will be preferenced because of transport issues. The buy will finish when we fill 20 pounds, or at the end of September, whatever comes first. Payment terms are negotiable :)

I'm just trying to gauge interest in a bit of a hop bulk buy from the US. Some varieties that we don't really get here as well as the US favourites. If we get a large order from Northern Brewer ( http://www.northernbrewer.com/hops.html ) then we can get the prices down to about $18-25 per pound (450g). Anyway the main idea is to save a little money and get some stuff that is a bit rare to find (especially things like Mt Hood, Summit and Columbus).

Get a couple of your mates together to get it up to 20lbs max and it will be even cheaper (by about $2 a pound). The shipping will be airmail EMS 3-5 days so they will be nice and fresh. I will distribute them out within a couple of days of getting them - but if anyone has any issues with the date they will all be in the freezer anyway.

And if anyone wants smaller amount than a pound, let me know and we'll try to bring the amounts together so it bulks up.

Was thinking of the following varieties (the prices listed are for a 10lb order, but if we get 20lbs subscribed then the price drops $2 a pound or so):

Northern Brewer/Summit/Centennial $24.50 Columbus/Cascade $19.16 Magnum $25.83 Mt Hood $22.49 Liberty $24.36 Simcoe $25.69

Note that they are all out of Amarillo - too popular i guess.

Here are the descriptions:

Cascade

Typical alpha: 4.5 - 7.0%. Cascade is overwhelmingly popular among US microbrewers. Its unmistakable grapefruity-citrus aroma makes this one of the easiest hops to recognize. Cascade is the signature aroma hop of: Anchor Liberty Ale, Sierra-Nevada Pale Ale, and most other West Coast ales.

Centennial

Typical alpha: 9.0 - 12.0%. Centennial is an extremely popular new bittering variety. Widely known as a "supercharged" Cascade, it has a quite pleasant aroma.

Columbus

Typical alpha: 10 - 12%. Very pungent aroma, clean bittering properties.

Liberty

Typical alpha: 3.0 - 5.0%. Very spicy American substitute for Hallertau Mittelfrh. Suitable for all lagers.

Magnum (aka Yakima Magnum)

Typical alpha: 12 - 17%. Spicy, citrusy, super-high alpha bittering hop from the Pacific Northwest.

Mt. Hood

Typical alpha: 4.0 - 7.0%. American substitute for Hallertau Mittelfrh. Suitable for all lagers.

Northern Brewer (US)

Typical alpha: 7.0% - 10.0%. High alpha acid Hallertau variety. Good aroma. Signature aroma hop of: Anchor Steam.

Simcoe

Typical alpha: 12.0 - 14.0%. Used for its aromatic and especially for its bittering properties due to its low cohumulone content.

Summit

Typical alpha: 17.0 - 19.0%. A brand new super-high alpha dwarf variety grown on low trellis systems in the Yakima valley. It has a low cohumulone content with a strong orange/tangerine citrus character.

I'll kick things off.

I am interested in a half bag of Northern Brewers, and interested am negotitiable to other hops as well if someone else wants to go a half bag ect.

We're up to 12 pounds now.

Another 8 pounds to go, filling up fast.

Im out side of sydney 200km south at nowra but would take some northern brewer and would be happy with some half bags as well Up to a total of 4 pounds.

Hey guys

I'm going to work out what to do since i've just noticed i can save everybody about $6 a pound by using a different supplier. Only problem is that they don't do Summit and Simcoe. There is another place that will do Summit hops by a 4lb box but i will find out if they will ship to clubs/brewers.

Anyway, hold tight, i'm going to work out the best deal for everybody which may just take a little bit more time. The new supplier probably won't have a 20lb limit per box, so we could even order more than 20lbs.

Does anybody mind waiting till the end of October so we can get some 2006 harvest hops or does somebody need it right now?

Cheers

Ben

Have you tried these guys,they already freight pellets to Austraila,you can't get much cheaper hops than this !
Direct from the growers

Link Here

Example $44.30Aus for 5kg of Cascade !

Batz

Have you tried these guys,they already freight pellets to Austraila,you can't get much cheaper hops than this !
Direct from the growers

Link Here

Batz

Yeah that's who i've been talking to. Apparently Little Creatures staff are there on site now!

2006 harvest amarillo here we come.

Direct from the growers

Link Here

Batz

$11 a kilo! :ph34r:

How much after freight?

Little creatures maybe changing hop suppliers
Here's there hops a few years back

Freight you have to add of course Drew,buying hops like this is for bulk buys or if you know what you want,really I only use 5-6 different hops these days.

Batz

DC,

Ben is on the case with this one. Just give him some time to work out the prices again, but it'll be cheap. :D

As he says, it may be best to wait for the new harvest in a month or so. The fresher the better. :super:

Stu, wasnt hassling just commenting, I am sure DJR is well aware that everyone appreciates his effort with this.

Good thing with Hops Direct as well is that they always add extra. I ordered 5lb each of Columbus and Mt. Hood and I received 11lb total. Cost AUD$95 for the hops and shipping to Hawaii (air), so about $19/kg. Probably feasible to expect a freight charge of around what you are paying per kilo which is what CJ on Brewboard usually found when air freighting them to Japan. I reckon you should get them here for around the AUD$25/kg mark.

They are fantastic to deal with though, ask for Elizabeth.

Guys

At the moment in the absence of more orders i'm going to preorder in the next day or two. Will be at least ordering the following:

5lbs Amarillo
5lbs Mt Hood
5lbs Northern Brewer
2lbs Magnum
2lbs Columbus
2lbs Liberty
2lbs Centennial
2lbs Cascade

All '06 harvest.

Those that have replied to me will get a PM/email in the next day confirming the order changes, as some varieties i won't be able to get, but feel free to let me know how much Amarillo you would like as i can get it extremely cheap.

Anyone who has ordered Simcoe or Summit, unfortunately they won't be available.

With the larger quantities involved now for splitting (as i have to split a couple of 5lb boxes) i will be packaging these up in oxygen barrier bags (hopefully) purged with CO2 so they will stay fresh.

If anyone else is interested in the buy, PM or email me by the end of today hopefully.

Edit: Thanks guys for the overwhelming response! 24lbs here we come!

That's it, all over. Just sent in the preorder then.

Will let everyone who is part of it know in the next couple of days how much it will be.

Thanks everyone for making this so smooth.

Hopsdirect have confirmed they've received the order, no problems as yet. Just waiting to hear back from them so i can get everyone their prices.

In the meantime i've ordered some ziplock bags from www.gmdpackaging.com.au that will fit a lb of pellets - they are quite cheap so i don't think people will mind me putting the cost of each bag on the order.

Thanks to everyone for taking this to the idea stage to the full-blown plot!

Back