Sydney Us Hops Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just called Hopsdirect this morning and confirmed the price and shipping for the order. They say that everything bar the ones that they've grown themselves are ready, and that we should have the order at the end of October.

I've PM'ed and emailed everybody with their respective costs and my bank details, should have some of the freshest US hops in the country in a couple of weeks. :beerbang:

Cheers everybody.

Edit: Another thing, if anyone else wants to start their own bulk buy, Hopsdirect are still taking Amarillo orders. Just call them up tomorrow morning before 10AM AEST.

Glad to hear our hops weren't the ones burnt. :p

It's so exciting. How many sleeps till they arrive? :lol:

Now to get that pesky food out of the freezer and make room for them. ;)

Edit: Another thing, if anyone else wants to start their own bulk buy, Hopsdirect are still taking Amarillo orders. Just call them up tomorrow morning before 10AM AEST.
[/quote]

Im up for some if anyone is considering organising.

YAY!!!!

Spoke to Elizabeth just then, the hops are being paid for and shipped today/tomorrow so we should have them early next week!

Only caveat is that the Northern Brewer is '05 stock only as apparently the '06 harvest has been poor, and the Alpha's of the Columbus won't be known until they do the lab analysis in the next couple of days, but that's fine and she'll email me the alpha ratings when they are known. Everything else is fine.

So after myself and Stuart split them all and get them ready everyone should be able to get their hops starting from next week.

Huge AIPAs here i come...

:beerbang:

Shipped!

Box weight: 35lbs 7.5oz!

Guaranteed by USPS to turn up on or before Tuesday!

is this the recipe you will use?

Pliny The Elder

Thanks to Vinnie Cilurzo of Russian River Brewing for sharing his recipe with the homebrewing community.
Target OG: 1.074

Target FG: 1.014

IBUs: 95-100 (despite the IBU calculator results)

ABV: 7.95%

SRM: about 7-8

The following grain amounts are based on collecting a pre-boil wort size of 8.0 gal. The corresponding Promash batch size is 6.2 gal and assumes 75% efficiency. With a vigorous 90 min. boil, losses due to evaporation, hop absorption, and transfers, the final amount should be close to 5 gal.

Malt Bill

13.3 lbs. Pale North American 2-row

1.1 lbs. Dextrose (aka corn sugar)

.94 lb. Carapils (aka dextrin)

.32 lb. Crystal 45L

Note: Can substitute Crisp Maris Otter for the North American 2-row for a more noticeable malt character. The beer will also be a bit darker. However, the actual Pliny uses a North American 2-row, very little crystal, and is very pale.

Hop Bill

(Use all whole flowers; only exception is Simcoe if cant find them whole)

1.50 oz. Chinook 13.0% Mash Hops

2.75 oz. Warrior 15.6% 90 min.

.50 oz. Chinook 13.0% 90 min.

1.00 oz. Simcoe 12.0% 45 min.

1.00 oz. Columbus 14.3% 30 min.

2.25 oz. Centennial 9.1% 0 min.

1.00 oz. Simcoe 12.0% 0 min.

3.25 oz. Columbus 14.5% (Dryhop 2 weeks)

1.75 oz. Centennial 9.1% (Dryhop 2 weeks)

1.75 oz. Simcoe 12.0% (Dryhop 2 weeks)

1.Mash grains with Chinook Mash Hops at 150-152 for 60 min.

2. Collect 8 gal. of wort.

3. Boil 90 min., adding hops at times indicated.

4. Chill to 68F and transfer to fermenting vessel.

5. Oxygenate with two separate 20-30 sec. bursts of O2.

6. Pitch large starter (2L or more) of WLP001 CA ale yeast.

7. Ferment at 68F for 1 week.

8. Transfer to secondary and add dryhops.

9. Secondary at 68F.

10. Wait two weeks.

11. Keg or bottle.

12. Wait until carbonated.

12. Enjoy!

Pretty much. Will be using BB Ale malt as the base malt.

All hops will be pellets as well.

You going to give it a go mikem108, or have you already brewed it? I know there is a thread about it on here.

C&B
TDA

Woohoo!

Out of Foreign Customs, November 05, 2006, 1:27 pm
International Dispatch, November 03, 2006, 4:55 pm, SAN FRANCISCO AMC
Enroute, November 03, 2006, 4:55 pm, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94128
Enroute, November 02, 2006, 11:15 pm, SEATTLE, WA 98158
Enroute, November 02, 2006, 8:11 pm, YAKIMA, WA 98903

I wonder whether it will come today? Seems that it's here and cleared customs! :beerbang:

Looks like I'll be changing the brewing schedule for this weekend :p

Doc

DSC05987.JPG
DSC05988.JPG
DSC05989.JPG

Will be splitting this evening with Stuster - those of you with posted hops should expect them in the next couple of days.

:beer: WOOHOO

Thanks heaps for all your effert cant wait to recive im sure they are going to a good home and promise to look after them well :D

They will be thrust into the hot cauldron of beer hell as soon as possible

Hops are now split, PM me to organise delivery. You can pick up from my place in Stanmore or from my work at St Leonards.

View attachment 9912
View attachment 9913
View attachment 9914

Will be splitting this evening with Stuster - those of you with posted hops should expect them in the next couple of days.

:beer: WOOHOO

Those contents in the pics look pretty suss.
I'd have pictuered packages like that being strapped to the Bali 9! :blink:
If customs took a sneaky peek they'd have thought they would've been onto something for sure! :lol:

They did actually open it to be honest - but pellets are all OK :)

At least the neighbours didn't complain about two guys with scales measuring out quantities of aromatic green compounds while wearing rubber gloves!

buggar - missed this. How much Amarillo fits on a pallet anyway - am serious!

Scotty

buggar - missed this. How much Amarillo fits on a pallet anyway - am serious!

Scotty

Chuck Hahn said he was ordering 2 Tonnes of the stuff from the US this year (purely for golden ale i guess!). Might give you some idea how much would fit on a pallet!

You might still want to ring HD and see if they have amarillo left, they sell 11lb packets and if you're lucky you might still get 44lb packets. Can definitely recommend them.

Ben,

thanks for arranging this, top work.

Stu, it was a big surprise to get home last night & have a pile of fresh hops on the table, thanks for bringing it over. :D

now to plan some brews

Beers

Crozdog

I couldn't resist brewing with some of these last night - i couldn't be stuffed setting up and doing an AG batch so i pulled out a can of Cooper's PA i had sitting around, dressed it up with a mini-BIAB of 50g each of Caramunich II, Light Crystal, Light Munich, Dark Munich and Torrified Wheat, added in some Liberty and Cascade from the BB, and some Chinook and NZ Cascade Flowers and a Cascade plug.

Tastes awesome from the fermenter. This is the first kit i've done now in 10 AG batches, hopefully i don't get the kit twang from it! I think a lot of my kit flavour problems were HSA which i had no idea about when i brewed them. Anyway, i'll see how it goes.

The cascade and liberty are pretty good, i'll have to use them in something a little less crowded by other flavours.

Anyway, hopefully everyone who has hops in the post gets them before the weekend, i have some idea what will be going on with all the buyers this weekend :)

And for anyone that wants to smell what these hops are like, just get within 1Km or so of Doc's house tomorrow, Beecroft/Epping or maybe even Castle Hill should be close enough to Cherrybrook!

Latest posts

Back