Swollen Hops - Freezer tripped out

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newts

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just went to dry hop my beer today and found that my keg fridge has tripped out :( I use the freezer compartment to store all my hops and some of the open hops have swollen. Looks like they may have absorbed some moisture from the water in the freezer (they were stored in bowls as I didn't have any airtight bags)

I've attached a photo below:

IMG_0492v2.jpg

Are these still useable? I hope so cause there's a lot more that aren't looking to good.

Cheers,

Newts

how do they smell? cheesy? they would need to be used quick but if they dont smell as youd expect them to, fling em or use in a lambic.

moisture is the enemy of hops. They dont look great... even zip lock bags would have got you out of trouble here.

I would send a PM to Yob about now if that happened to me,hope it's all good for you & your hops.

Yob got me by a 1 min LMAO :lol:

Yeah, really not happy about the situation. Just found out it didn't trip but someone wanted to use the powerpoint so they turned it off!

I just had another look and looks like I only lost about 200g of hops total. Learnt a very hard lesson but I guess it could have been worse - I'll be using those airtight silver bags I brought a while back but didn't realize the value of.

Luckily most of the hops were still in their original packaging or facing the right way that they didn't get any water in them.

Can't dry hop my Dr Smurto Golden Ale though as I lost my Amarillo - hoping it will be alright without.

Just realised I didn't answer your actual question Yob. I don't know exactly what they smell like but it's not Amarillo so thinking it's best not to use em. I'll just go without the aroma... Not ideal but better than stuffing the batch I've had in the primary for a week.

Cells have probably ruptured. If you can bring yourself to throw them, that's what I would do.

Hey guys, on this one does anyone have any recommendations as to dry hopping Dr Smurto Golden Ale with a different type of hop or would you just leave it without? Anyone done it without the dry hopping? I imagine it will still taste good just without the full aroma. Any suggestions welcome

Newts said:
Hey guys, on this one does anyone have any recommendations as to dry hopping Dr Smurto Golden Ale with a different type of hop or would you just leave it without? Anyone done it without the dry hopping? I imagine it will still taste good just without the full aroma. Any suggestions welcome
i'd probably use any C hop, or american citrusy hop. in fact i think dr smurto even mentions it goes well with any of those. personally, i'd go with citra but that's just one of my personal faves. have fun with it i reckon. a lot of hops will compliment amarillo. i've mixed it with cascade and citra and loved both of them. citra was the only one i dry hopped with.

EDIT: yeah. copied from the recipeDB below -

EDIT - 7/09/2011
Try replacing the wheat with rye. Any american hop works well in this recipe.

Latest posts

Back