Supermarket Challenge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Supermarket could try the bird seed roast some grain to add flavor or try and malt the grain and mash with some rice.

Chookers said:
*a what to do in case of a zombie apocalypse and you gotta hide in your house.. heehe.
See this is what bulk buys are designed to prevent! Just because there's an apocolypse I should drink substandard beers?? Hell no!! Keep stocks on hand to brew for the next year(cubed prefferably). There'll be no time to watch the fly sparge when your fighting off the walking dead!!

Booker I have made the JAO mead, it was lovely..

Benn, I'm safe then.. in Sydney.

Barge that looks good, I'm putting it on my list.

Wynnum..LOL :lol:

But as the topic name says *challenge* I Put this challenge to you the beer gods.. if any one can do it its you guys and the people on this forum.. Barney would accept.

I found the apocalypse beer.. :lol:

http://www.thebrewsite.com/apocalypse-beer-brew/

I also found this recipe in my old book "The Complete Guide To Home Brewing In Australia" by Laurie Strachan which got me started in home brewing in the first place.

I have Scaled it down to a 5Lt batch, Simple Stout page 98 of the book
  • 532g Dry Dark Malt
  • 111g Raw Sugar
  • 7g POR 8-10% in boil
  • 3g Fuggles 3.5-5% 5mins
  • Ale Yeast
O.G 1.042 - 1.052 IBU 28-44

Boil 3L water and add 90 g Dry Dark Malt and POR hops boil for 60mins.
When 5mins from end of boil add remaining ingredients and then chill and strain to fermenter.

This sounds rough, but I would be willing to risk the ingredients to see how it tastes.. pig swill I imagine but I hope I would be wrong. :p

I once made a beer out of cornflakes and chocolate nutragrain turned out ok except I overhopped it still have a few bottles of it left if you want one

The closest thing to a malt extract from Woolies, would be their Homebrand lager and ale cans. Very low bittered. I've used these to test aroma and finishing hops.

Thanks for the offer Superstock, but I'll pass.. sounds very interesting though.. I just made a stout well more like a dark porter, I don't think I could really call it a stout. I cold steeped some ground coffee with dark roasted oats and added that to my wort.. unfortunately over hopped mine too, due to shitty scales I have which are suppose to measure 1g increments, but I had a whole lot more than 1g on there and it still said 0g.. so I was using hops flowers.. its about as bitter as a fat yak, but no real hop flavour or aroma, just the bitter, a very slight barely perceptible hint of alcohol warmth at the end. Maybe it will get better with age. I'm adding my bulk priming today, think to use LDME instead of Dex, last ditch effort to give more mouth feel.

Back