Superlager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Very occasionally I allow myself a session on a UK superlager (I like Skol Super, 9%). At about $19 for 4 cans it's actually about the same alcohol value for money as buying the equivalent in VB tallies. However I digress.

Getting whacked on the Tramp Beer as the poms call it is almost a religious experience compared to other beers but it's a very occasional treat as I don't have a funeral plan in place yet.

Did a toucan of 2 Coopers lagers and trying a young bottle a few weeks ago it tasted so much like the Skol it was frightening but didn't have the feature of the raw alcohol fumes up the back of the nose :icon_drool2: and I wouldn't mind extending the toucan to 9% either with a threecan (which would be probably too bitter) or a touan plus a heap of inverted syrup. Skol includes 'syrup' in its list of ingredients. Tate and Lyle's golden syrup is an invert and in the UK is a popular item with brewers.

At 9% I wonder what yeast? Probably go for a sparkling wine yeast but does anyone know of a dedicated beer yeast that could handle 9% ??
Any good funeral plans around as well? :ph34r:

At 9% I wonder what yeast? Probably go for a sparkling wine yeast but does anyone know of a dedicated beer yeast that could handle 9% ??
Any good funeral plans around as well? :ph34r:

Don't know about what beer yeast, however I know that a wine yeast does give a wine profile e.g. apple wine made from apple juice and a good white wine yeast gives a good white wine flavour with only a hint of apple flavour. Probably not a bad thing if you are after a beer wine.

A good white wine yeast will also ferment to 17%.

I have read the s-33 yeast can go as high as 11% (No Spinal Tap references here)
Ross has them at $1.20 for 6 grams.. I would use 2..

Do a toucan + can of unhopped malt extract.

CraftBrewer has Belgian Ale yeast

"Belgian Ale, is a speciality yeast (AKA T-58) selected for its estery somewhat peppery and spicy flavour development. Sedimentation: medium. Final gravity: high. Also recommended for bottle-conditioning of beers. Excellent performance in beers with alcohol contents of up to 8.5% v/v but can ferment up to 11.5% v/v. Great in Belgians & strong English Ales. "

T-58 would make it taste more like a Belgian Strong than a "superlager", though :)

I would use S-189 and keep the temperature down low (10-12C)... S-189 is a lager yeast, clean and can handle up to 12ish%

Thanks for the advice. I'll forget the wine yeast, and S-33 is also advertised as a Belgian Style. The s-189 sounds like the go as I'm only going to go 20L and can get the fermenter in the fridge. However the T-58 sounds just the trick for my planned "Christmas Pudding Ale" which will include a mini mash, all malt, brown sugar, mixed fruit, mixed spices, will run out at about 8% then after conditioning, the batch will be chilled, carefully opened then a measure of St Agnes Brandy poured into each PET. Might even leave hops out of this one :eek: :eek: . I'm sure the Belgian will handle it. Nearly September so time to start now :icon_cheers:

CraftBrewer has Belgian Ale yeast

"Belgian Ale, is a speciality yeast (AKA T-58) selected for its estery somewhat peppery and spicy flavour development. Sedimentation: medium. Final gravity: high. Also recommended for bottle-conditioning of beers. Excellent performance in beers with alcohol contents of up to 8.5% v/v but can ferment up to 11.5% v/v. Great in Belgians & strong English Ales. "

I can vouch for this yeast.. It Fermented a 1.110 wort down to 1.024 for me. Its taking a while to do its job in the bottles though :D

I'd steer clear of wine and champagne yeasts, the give a very (for too much I reckon) dry finish.

Like suggested above, there are many strong% tolerant yeasts about, not restricted to Belgians but they are good.

I made a braggot with US-05 that finished up a about 11%. That yeast is often used to make pseudo lagers, and considering you live in QLD, might make things easier for you, being an ale yeast...

Latest posts

Back