Super Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hootsmon

Reaction score
Evening,
Anyone got a good kit recipe for a super stout high abv?
Cheer

Look up Russian imperial stout recipes. Im not an extract brewer but guess you have to steep some specialty grains for that style of beer.

Hi mate I just through down a can of coopers stout with a dark ale can. 1.5kg of DME and 1.5kg Dex with 300g choc steeped come up around 1.096 og was dumped onto a 50L 4x pkg yeast cake witch was done fermentation after 4 days!! FG of 1022. Tastes great out of FV. Will leave for a while at 20c to see what happens. And bottle. Store for a while and drink responseabily!! Will defo do again!!

Hootsmon said:
Evening,
Anyone got a good kit recipe for a super stout high abv?
Cheer
if you are wetting your toe to style and want kits..

2x Coopers stouts is an evil brew mate,

2 x coopers stout
250g dex
250g DME
50g EKG or fuggle dry hop

an evil starter or 2 x nottingham...

stand back and equip with blow off tube....

2 Coopers Stout tins
1 kilo dex
1 kilo LDME
Hop as per Yob above - but any aroma hop is good.

Just use ONE kit yeast to avoid a volcano. Nottingham would be ok but the kit yeast lends itself to dark ales anyway. This stout is ready for drinking after only a couple of weeks in the bottle.

I entered it in the National comp a few years ago as a Russian Imperial Stout and it got good scores.

Ok that's East Kent Goldings.

If you are a kit brewer, just ignore the EKG thing, get a couple of "teabag hops" from your local home brew supplier, break open the teabags and dump the pellets into your stout at around day 4. Most of the teabag hops are good as they are mainly for aroma.

Adding some hop pellets to the brew at this stage will give a bit of nice balancing aroma to the stout.

:super:

Bribie G said:
2 Coopers Stout tins
1 kilo dex
1 kilo LDME
Hop as per Yob above - but any aroma hop is good.
This looks lethal. I'll give it a go.
Will probably make a 2L starter. Any suggestions on a good liquid yeast?

I prefer Fuggles for dark porters.
whilst EKG and Fuggles are very similar (and interchangeable if caught out) I find the slightly earthier notes of fuggles go well with darker beers

Hootsmon said:
I'm putting in a choc vanilla porter tomorrow using wyeast London ale on recommendation, last time I made a porter I used wyeast Irish ale and that turned out good but can't comment on the London ale yet as its a first for me but either should be fine for style!

dr K said:
I prefer Fuggles for dark porters.
whilst EKG and Fuggles are very similar (and interchangeable if caught out) I find the slightly earthier notes of fuggles go well with darker beers
They work very well together

Bitter with EKG and use some Fuggles at 15-20mins

or the other way around if you wish

Hootsmon said:
You'll need more than a 2l starter for that list of ingredients

Yob said:
You'll need more than a 2l starter for that list of ingredients
Not according to the Malry calc if the OG is about 1090.
2 packs in 2 LT

Forget about the starter silly nonsense, just pitch the kit yeast. Always did it for me.

If in doubt, chuck in the two kit yeasts but step back and make sure you have the number for the local SES

Fair point. I've just done a starter for a Chimay clone. Took a bit of prep but was bubbling before bedtime and had a Krausen that was impressive. Don't know how to post pics here or I'd show it off.

Bribie, 1 kit yeast is a huge under pitch.

I havnt chucked it in any software but thats gotta be near 1.100 and you're suggesting 7g of kit yeast is enough?

Anything over 1.065 is in 2 x pack Territory..

Fit a blow off and pitch the correct amount of yeast.

Latest posts

Back