Super Aroma - Hop Shots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice one. Mines still covered in krausen, should take a sample tonight for a gravity reading and taste test

Well I kegged this biatch today, going to leave it at ambient for a week to condition before chilling.

Recap, this was bittered only and had 1.5ml for a 10lt ferment volume. Now you may be surprised that I think that it could do with a friend (based on a hydro sample) and I'd defo go a fruity hop, I got plenty of Pine from the sample (18'c) I think itll be ok on its own, but personally I like some complexity in my hop additions.

I honestly cant wait to carb it up to fully evaluate

Has anyone played around with a spirit dilution before adding it to a keg or have I missed this earlier in the thread??

HERE and the OP has information relevant to it

essentially no, not a keg hop item, we trid some in a bottle of CPA and it just floats on the surface, it needs heat to diffuse.

Yob said:
HERE and the OP has information relevant to it

essentially no, not a keg hop item, we trid some in a bottle of CPA and it just floats on the surface, it needs heat to diffuse.
So a GRADUAL heating upto 40deg, I imagine thats Fahrenheit. I would hazard a guess and say "melting" means gradually treated.

When I made the shots, I put the can in a pot of water on the stove and heated it slowly..

I'd suggest Celsius, it's not very runny at 4'c

Yob said:
When I made the shots, I put the can in a pot of water on the stove and heated it slowly..

I'd suggest Celsius, it's not very runny at 4'c
40 deg not 4 the information for adding it is a contradiction against its intended usage if I'm not reading it wrong, it's stating upto 40 deg and not over 50 deg to activate. I see it as gradually heat it upto 40 to activate (melt) then administer at kettle temps at what ever addition floats your boat?

You'll have to read the material through again, ot suggests kettle additions and several governing factors. I agree it's a bit confusing though.

My experience is that it needs time in the kettle or at least cube.

so.. My feedback on tasting.

I played this game with a good card, a light pilsner base, touch of pale and wheat. Bittering only with the hop shot on top at/near chilling (tank water bath)

I went 1.5ml for 10 lt's near 80'c

Some may not be surprised at the next comments..

I like it.. I think the beer ive put it on does it some justice by itself.. BUUT I like it more with a friend or two.. Just so happened, I had a keg of a Columbus/Citra pale to blend it with...

So as to a personal review and advice?
  1. Plays bloody welll in its right place,
  2. is not a one stop shot solution to nirvana (for most of us/me)
  3. *all hops, or hop extracts, it seems, **need added complexity with combinations
*may be subject to personal opinion
**In the right beer

If I was a lady with a big purse I might have drunk Yob's 100% kettle hopshot all night long++. Really, it isn't bad at all as the sole player in a brew, particularly given a yeast like Greenbelt. However, without friends, it's no brewer's nirvana. It needs mates.

There's absolutely a commercial place for a brew your friends who object to hoppiness might drink all night long. With 60 min bittering the hop shots let the fruit of the yeast and grain shine.

BTW, a second go at "keg hopping" with this was had. It's just not the place for it, unless you're feeling drunk and optimistic. Cube or post-boil kettle addition really seems to be the place for the hop shots. And done as such, it's lovely.

++This isn't just a joke. A nice fruity malt bill with a fruity yeast, light bittering and hop shots for flavour places a beer (Yob's in this case) squarely in the commercial-for-ladies category, in my opinion. I enjoyed it, quite nice really in comparison to the CD/CP category, and bound not to sleep at its mate's place 'til 4AM.

Kegged and carbed my first play with these hop shots last night.

I did a pretty straight forward grain bill mostly trad Ale male a bit of pilsner and a bit of wheat and a tiny bit of light crystal for memory.

Bittered with Willamette (because that's what I had laying around)
20 minute addition of Caliente (because it was leftovers for a bag Mardoo gave me)

That was all the original plan was - then as a afterthought I remembered the little green syringe sitting in the fridge.

So the whole 3ml syringe went into the 40 litre batch at Whirlpool.

Gotta say this is going to be very easy to drink - delicious. I know when I've made a good one when MrsGrumpy says she likes it.

You'll never guess where my 10Lt batch went...

Blend keg from the steak challenge night... ;)

Good to hear it went well.. I'm working on something else along these lines. Fully soluble post fermentation additions... Can't wait to lay my hands on them...

Yob said:
You'll never guess where my 10Lt batch went...

Blend keg from the steak challenge night... ;)

Good to hear it went well.. I'm working on something else along these lines. Fully soluble post fermentation additions... Can't wait to lay my hands on them...
That blend keg is just getting better and betterer

It was interesting because I wasn't impressed with the early hydro samples - I thought "what have I done". But it has turned out very nice

I'll bring a taster of mine along to club night.

Ive just closed the deal on a New Product Range.. here are some stats

Product Details - Some details omitted for privacy

****** provides an easy method of adding intense hop aroma independent of any other product or process. Specifically, ****** gives a ‘dry hop’ aroma to beer that is characteristic of the specific variety of hops from which it is prepared. The product also enhances pleasant existing flavours and can mask some off-flavours in the beer.

Light stable: All products are free of α-acids and can be used with any beer packaging type.

Fully soluble: ******* utilisation is up to 100% as it is fully soluble.

Easy handling: Provided as a standardised solution for dosing into bright beer.

Natural: 100% derived from hops by physical processes.

Product use:
The ******* range is fully soluble in beer and are intended for addition to fined or filtered beers. They can be dosed into finished beer without the need for subsequent filtration, with gentle mixing required for maximum effect. Regardless if the beer is intended to be kegged, bottled or filled into casks, the optimum way of dosing ******* products is in-line dosing into the beer stream on transfer to the bright beer tank or racking vessel.

******* can also be added direct into finishing vessel prior to transferring the beer, where the transfer should ensure the product is mixed. For dosing direct to casks, we
recommend doing so either during the racking process or into the full cask. ******* should be added separately from cask finings.

Product Development:
Trials are recommended to determine the concentration required to give your required aroma and flavour effect. The rate of initial dosing should be 10ml/hl of the *******. This can be dosed to a bottle of beer using a pipette at a rate of 0.1 μL/ml bottle volume (i.e for a 330 ml bottle dose 33 μl). Chill the beer to normal drinking temperature. Add the required volume of ******* into the beer. Re-close the bottle, inverting to mix and then chill for minimum 2 hours before tasting.

Dose rate: Typical dose rates start at 5 – 40 ml/hl (0.05 – 0.4 ml/l). Depending on the base beer style and on the effect you want to achieve the dose rate can be altered within this range. In the USA, however, triple hopped IPA beers are using up to 100 ml/hl!

Calculation example for a barrel or cask -
1 UK barrel = 36 gallon = 288 pints = 163 litres; at 10ml per hl dose rate this gives an addition of 16.5 ml per barrel
9 gallon cask = 72 pints = approx. 41 litres; at 10 ml per hl dose rate this gives an addition of 4 ml per cask

Sooooooooooooooooo, what we have here is a totally soluble liquid Dry Hop addition.

Colour me excited, Ive asked for 3 varieties to start with, more will inevitably happen as we progress.

Citra
Simcoe
Galaxy

I expect to take delivery this side of xmas but the packaging may take longer to arrive based on what was the case last time I did this with the (other type of product) SA.

Holy. Cow.
Sounds fantastic. And in 3 of my fav hops!
Oi, you're not hording CTZ or Centennial for yourself are you?!? :lol: That would complete the primary selection.

I'll take one of each, thanks Jesse. (Price guess??)

Edit: and that info they/you provide on dosing method & rate is exactly what we needed to know.

technobabble66 said:
Holy. Cow.
Sounds fantastic. And in 3 of my fav hops!
Oi, you're not hording CTZ or Centennial for yourself are you?!? :lol: That would complete the primary selection.

I'll take one of each, thanks Jesse. (Price guess??)

Edit: and that info they/you provide on dosing method & rate is exactly what we needed to know.

I'm thinking 10ml Syringes, the 3ml ones are just too much work, full price structure isn't confirmed yet as I need to sort out total cost to land and packaging but should be in the order of %1.50ml (not over) so ~$15 / 10ml as a guess from here..

so at 10ml per 100l as a dosage rate, 2ml per keg dry hop its going to be pretty damn economical, not to mention the freezer space savings and all the love youll all get back from the SWMBO when you give them that space back.

There is no need to freeze this product, shelf life over 12 months at 4'c to 20'c so a small tub in the fridge would suffice.

I'm going to be the first person to overdose on simcoe... and it will be a great death.

All packaging has been purchased for this, I'm just now awaiting the final invoice from suppliers to go ahead, it'll be express shipping from OS so with any luck, were talking this side of Xmas to have it out.

:super:

Stunningly, these are now being produced for me as a bespoke order, shipment expected late next week so I'd hope to get me packaging in the same time frame and split it up next weekend

truly very excited :icon_drool2:

Latest posts

Back