Summer Quaffers!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongbeer

Reaction score
Please help the desperate!

I Only have 2 brews left to drink and have a "house brew" cubed, need a little bit of inspiration to help one fill the majority of tallies before xmas. Don't care what ingredients are needed, i will get them.

Quaffer in two weeks in tallies is a bit of an ask... You'd nearly have to go English Mild because of the low carbonation required...unless you can wait a little longer and do a Hefe...

after a pale something, maybe even a amber something...

happy to wait 3 weeks, not going to CC this next couple of batches

I wonder if you can bottle before the primary is finished, if you have a good idea of your expected FG you can check around the tail end of the ferment for the gravity you would have as if you bulk primed. You bottle without additional priming sugars obviously. Should be quick to carbonate since the yeast doesn't have to go though another whole cycle, and if you're lucky it will still clean up after itself.

I would only do this if you are sure of your expected FG, otherwise bottle bombs could easily be the result.

As far as a quick brew goes, I just had an English bitter ferment out in 3 days with 1469 with a 1040 OG. Pretty impressive yeast.

A quick summer quaffer recipe (if you like POR) I have done before, to 25 litres or so:

2.5kg Wey Pils
150g Simpson dark crystal
mash:
55/63/68/77 degrees
15/30/30/20 minutes (reasonably full bodied mash due to low grain content)
mash a little high if you're doing single infusion

1kg white sugar in boil
18g super pride at 60
5g super pride at 15

It was good for second place as an "Australian Bitter Ale" anyhow.

I wonder if you can bottle before the primary is finished, if you have a good idea of your expected FG you can check around the tail end of the ferment for the gravity you would have as if you bulk primed. You bottle without additional priming sugars obviously. Should be quick to carbonate since the yeast doesn't have to go though another whole cycle, and if you're lucky it will still clean up after itself.

I would only do this if you are sure of your expected FG, otherwise bottle bombs could easily be the result.

As far as a quick brew goes, I just had an English bitter ferment out in 3 days with 1469 with a 1040 OG. Pretty impressive yeast.

A quick summer quaffer recipe (if you like POR) I have done before, to 25 litres or so:

2.5kg Wey Pils
150g Simpson dark crystal
mash:
55/63/68/77 degrees
15/30/30/20 minutes (reasonably full bodied mash due to low grain content)
mash a little high if you're doing single infusion

1kg white sugar in boil
18g super pride at 60
5g super pride at 15

It was good for second place as an "Australian Bitter Ale" anyhow.

Sounds good! What yeast @ what temps???

I can still pump out my house brew (currently fine-tuning so not telling :p - but have tried it with POR and cluster, POR and (new found) hallertau all the way now. but am getting to the stage where its nice to have on hand, but getting sick of it. just want to try something that says "WOW"......

For a quick summer quaffer, I'd go a smurto's golden ale. You should be able to ferment out completely in a week, then 2 weeks to carb up in the bottle and you're good to go.

For a quick summer quaffer, I'd go a smurto's golden ale. You should be able to ferment out completely in a week, then 2 weeks to carb up in the bottle and you're good to go.

I have seen that one! outta the recipie DB. sounds good aswell!

andrewqld's coopers pale ale is an easy coopers clone that is quick to condition and turns out bloody close.

And i made this a few weeks ago now. Its just getting good now.

Stone and wood-ish clone

Grain

Galaxy malt 2.8kg (pilsner, aple or even ale will do)
wheat malt 1.8kg

Hops
10g galaxy flowers (14.2%aa) @ 30
cube hopped w/ 45g of galaxy flowers

yeast US05
OG 1.044 FG 1.011 IBUs 37.8 (cube hopping calculated as 20min addition)

I forgot to dry hop but it would benefit from it, but it tastes fine without it
So simple but so tasty!
If you don't cube I'd
25g @ 20min
10g @ 5
10 @ 0

Yup coopers clone-ish Aussie pale. Grain to brain in 5 days. Brendo has a great recipe. I can never remember it and don't have promash on the iPhone.

Edit

In saying that I'm drinking 2 beers ATM that were quickest I've ever brewed. 1 week ferment, 4days keg. Both ales.
Red cluster hop ale and Pride of Mt Torrens (in my signature)

I just brewed up a Citra Smash for summer and its incredibly tasty.

4kg JW Ale
Mash @ 66c for 60mins

Hop Schedule
15.00 gm Citra [13.60%] (60 min) Hops 24.3 IBU
15.00 gm Citra [13.60%] (15 min) Hops 12.1 IBU
10.00 gm Citra [13.60%] (0 min) Hops -

US05 @18-20C

Sounds good! What yeast @ what temps???

I can still pump out my house brew (currently fine-tuning so not telling :p - but have tried it with POR and cluster, POR and (new found) hallertau all the way now. but am getting to the stage where its nice to have on hand, but getting sick of it. just want to try something that says "WOW"......

I used plain ol S-05, to make it clean aussie style, but it would work with most yeasts I think. I fermented it a little warm to make a bit more "commercially" to bring it closer to style, so probably 19-20 degrees. I had a few that were bottle conditioned and the POR aroma came out very nice. Your mates will like it anyhow.

If you are going to do smurto's golden ale or tonys LCBA you are better off brewing a hefe its quicker drinks better fresh, fermenting the others fast might result in Diacetyl and you wont be drinking them at all unless you like that flavour :huh:

Latest posts

Back