Summer Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngy

Reaction score
While I am waiting for my Larger to ferment, I thought I would do a quick ale batch in the second fermenter.

Looking for a easy K&K.

Some thing along the lines of the Alaskan Summer Ale.

Cheers,

Youngy

Mmmh..looks like an interesting brew. Here's the web page for it. Seemes to be a Koelsch style so for a K&K option it will only be a rough approximation. Maybe Coopers Bavarian with a kilo of malt extract fermented at 16-18C. That kit has a lager yeast so to get some of the fruitiness of an ale you'll have to ferment it warmer. Either that or get yourself a German Ale yeast. Hops are Hallertauer in the Alaskan Ale so maybe some of those will be a good thing to add - even if it's just a teabag for aroma.

Cheers,

Doing the Bavarian as my larger at the moment. :)

Didn't think of checking the website, will try to find a Koelsch style of beer and add some Hallertauer.

See how we go.

There are no Koelsch kits. A German Lager kit and some Amber Malt extract (to replace the Munich Malt which is present in the Koelsch style) is really the only option to make a K&K Koelsch - and the right yeast. However, I think that the website for the Alaskan notes the colour is straw-gold so the absence of Munich malt may not be a problem.

Back