Sulpher Smell?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGRO

Reaction score
Hi there. i made (another) thomas coopers Australian Bitter and i thought i would be a bit different with the recipe this time. I still put in my 1kg "Bitter pack" from my local Home brew shop, in it there is 1kg containes malt, poweredcorn syrup, and comes with a little bag of dry hops

I also decided to add in 250g and a of light malt extract to boost things up and i used a safale yeast (cause my garage temp is around 18-20 deg all day). its been fermenting like crazy for 3 days now and the it really smells like a strong sulpher smell. I have never had this before and was just hoping that it is still ok??? has anyone ever had this problem before? is it the diferent yeast or extra fermentables??

Any advice would be great

Cheers!!

i would say its because of using a lager yeast, but iirc the only coopers kits that come with a lager yeast are the bavarian lager and the pilsner...

Yes, as said sulphury smell is usually attributed to a lager yeast. The sulphur smell coming out of the fermenter means its leaving your beer. Leave it until its nearly done, then have a taste. As long as it smells and tastes fine after fermentation has finished it won't be a problem.

Cheers for the replys,

i will let it go till fermentation has finished and see what is it like, just hope that it goes away!!

...but he said he used safale NOT saflager yeast?

...but he said he used safale NOT saflager yeast?

oops, missed that bit.

you positive it was a safale yeast (ie. US-05/56, S-04), and not a saflager yeast (ie. S-23, W34/70, S-189)

oops, missed that bit.

you positive it was a safale yeast (ie. US-05/56, S-04), and not a saflager yeast (ie. S-23, W34/70, S-189)

Dont scare me like that!!! i just ran out to the bin and got the pac. it is a saflager s-20 yeast. is this good or bad?? it smeels a little better!!

Dont scare me like that!!! i just ran out to the bin and got the pac. it is a saflager s-20 yeast. is this good or bad?? it smeels a little better!!

Sorry i meant S-23

Well there it is then - lager yeast, lager smell. Don't worry, it'll clear up with time.

I'd do whatever it takes to get the temp down, though.

Well there it is then - lager yeast, lager smell. Don't worry, it'll clear up with time.

I'd do whatever it takes to get the temp down, though.

ok im not going to worry anymore!! thanks for all your advice. the temp is siting at 19 deg at the moment and it will cool down even more tonight so it should be sweet.. (i hope) :beerbang:

Back