Suggestions For A Stir Plate Vessel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hogan

Stalag Brewery
Reaction score
I have a 2lt erlenmeyer flask that I use to do my starters on the stir plate. I want to move up to 5-6lt starters but the biggest vessel I have has a dome on the base which won't centre the stir bar. Any suggestions (other than buying a 5lt erlenmeyer) where I can source a large glass vessel with a flat base on which the stir bar will spin.

Cheers, Hoges.

i'd say just step up to a larger erlenmeyer.

by the time you find some other makeshift solution, you'll be left with just that, a makeshift solution and probably cost more in your time than a new erlenmeyer.

occams razor :)

i'd say just step up to a larger erlenmeyer.

by the time you find some other makeshift solution, you'll be left with just that, a makeshift solution and probably cost more in your time than a new erlenmeyer.

At a cost of $102 for a 5lt flask from Livingstones I think I will look for a less expensive solution.

Cheers, Hoges.

:icon_offtopic:

Just got my new 3L flask, and boy does it look cool! Stir plate project this weekend. w00t.

What about a 5 litre glass demijohn, I think the have fairly flat bottoms, could also be used as a fermenter.

my 2c

At a cost of $102 for a 5lt flask from Livingstones I think I will look for a less expensive solution.

Cheers, Hoges.
alternatively, craftbrewer have them for ~$70-80, but i guess after getting a mate to pack and post you'd be up around the 100 mark.

As said above, a demijohn would work, bout 20 bucks from your local HBS. A good idea. :)

OK so can anyone confirm that a stir bar will spin on the base of a 5lt HBS demijohn.

Cheers, Hoges.

Hogan, Im using 5l vessels, such like demijohn

3504.JPG

no problems with spinning stir bars, not at all.

That glass balloon filled with 5l of wine cost around 5Euro over here and Ive seen them in Australia too :icon_chickcheers:

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Hogan, Im using 5l vessels, such like demijohn

no problems with spinning stir bars, not at all.

That glass balloon filled with 5l of wine cost around 5Euro over here and Ive seen them in Australia too :icon_chickcheers:

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Thanks Z. That sure is a mother load of yeast. I'll have to see if the local HBS takes euros.

Well done mate.

Cheers, Hoges.

Latest posts

Back