Suggestion On Hops To Steep For Tooheys Special Draught Kit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley Belly

Head Brewer - Barley Belly Brewery
Reaction score
I know this is going to attract comments similar to the "VB CLONE" post from the so called experienced home brewers.
But a little postive feedback would be great. I have noticed many people are quick to bag the newby but I hope they realise they were newby's one day. We can't go from K&K to All Grain in one day. With this in mind, anyone with smart ass comments please save them for all ya mates in the " All Grain (AG) & Partials" forum as this is the "Kits & Extracts" forum. :ph34r:

Just wondering on a recommendation on what style of hops to steep and add to a kit of Tooheys Special Kit???

My first brew(I'm up to number 9 now and moved up to Morgan's kits) was a K & K Tooheys Special Draught with 1kg Dex.
I don't mind the taste but find it a little watery so plan to add some LDME and also find it's lacking the hoppy after taste.

This is why I'm after a recommendation for finishing hops for this style.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is not a bad kit if you use 650g of LME and 350-450g dextrose. Be careful adding to much LME as LME does not fully ferment, and your beer will end up to sweet.

Add some Amarillo hops for a nice hop taste and aroma. You could try dry hopping this or boil it for 1 minute, filter off the liquid into your fermenter, then boil the hops again for 20 minutes and filter again into your fermenter.

Barry

PS. a good idea is to use Saflager S23 yeast this time of year. You need temps below 15degC (which is ambient temp in Melbourne these days) and up to 2 weeks for your ferment, but it gives a very crisp clean tasting beer. Get this from your LHBS and you can reuse the yeast a few times to reduce the cost per brew.

I know this is going to attract comments similar to the "VB CLONE" post from the so called experienced home brewers.
But a little postive feedback would be great. I have noticed many people are quick to bag the newby but I hope they realise they were newby's one day. We can't go from K&K to All Grain in one day. With this in mind, anyone with smart ass comments please save them for all ya mates in the " All Grain (AG) & Partials" forum as this is the "Kits & Extracts" forum. :ph34r:

Just wondering on a recommendation on what style of hops to steep and add to a kit of Tooheys Special Kit???

My first brew(I'm up to number 9 now and moved up to Morgan's kits) was a K & K Tooheys Special Draught with 1kg Dex.
I don't mind the taste but find it a little watery so plan to add some LDME and also find it's lacking the hoppy after taste.

This is why I'm after a recommendation for finishing hops for this style.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Im not 100% certain but to get that aussie style I think most are made with PoR. :icon_cheers:
Daz

I think when i used to do kits and try and make aussie style beers i used mb-89 i think it is.
I think, but am not sure, it was a mix of cluster and POR.
Cheers.

F**** OATH LOL, im gonna give the new ago soon too!

. Be careful adding to much LME as LME does not fully ferment, and your beer will end up to sweet.

Instead of limiting the amount of malt in your beer, you could increase the malt and boil some of the hops with malt to increase the bitterness of the beer. If done properly it won't taste any more bitter but will counteract the 'sweetness' of the malt. It's all about keeping the balance between the sweetness of the malt and the bitterness of the hops.

I make most of my brews with all malt this way and they're much better than what I used to make. Tooheys probably use some adjunct such as dex but if your brew is too watery it suggests to me that you're after seomthing with a bit more malt in it.

Back