Sugar Lollies = ? Volume

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damian44

Reaction score
Im about to bottle a Dry Stout and was wondering if sugar drops are going to over-carb my beer?
What volume would a sugar drop add to a 375ml beer?

Look at the nutrional table of the packet and then do your maths from there.

You'll find that they're ~95% sugar with a binder to hold it all together. Probably would be overcarbed for style, but unless you Bulk prime or some such, there's not a lot you can do about that.

There is an online calculator if you have a look around... it will give you an idea about the carbonation from the lollies. Combine that with the BJCP Guidelines and you'll be on a winner. :)

Don't forget Beersmith too! The calc in there is pretty decent too.

Cheers - Fermented.

Im about to bottle a Dry Stout and was wondering if sugar drops are going to over-carb my beer?
What volume would a sugar drop add to a 375ml beer?

As quoted on a lot of these drop packaging it's 1 drop per stubby and 2 per longneck - If I remember correctly.
This is based a "normal" or "standard" :huh: brew. More so based on the Aussie level of carbonated lagers I would think, which won't be to style with your stout but it's what you want really.

As said above not a lot you can do without bulk priming, or you could possibly cut the lollies up although normally they would shatter and be a PITA.

Bulk prime, bulk prime, bulk prime! :D

Thanks guys. The lollies are a hard thing to give up :huh: . I crudly calculated a sugar drop to give a volume of 3.3, holy cow. Half a drop would equal 2.1 volume, thats overcarbed for alot of styles.

Do many people make up a sugar solution and stir it in? Or will i have to rack?

Racking onto a sugar solution is the very best method, as I understand it.

However, I'm an apartment dweller so don't have the space for a racking vessel so I just prime longies with dex with the standard issue double-ended scoop. I tried the lollies when I started out but gave them the flick as they're far more costly than the alternatives.

If you use sugar (dex, caster, white, etc) and the scoop, it's pretty easy. Load it up the way you think it's correct, check the weight on some good scales and you're off to a good start. Weight by sugar type for the same scoop varies a little owing to the difference in the grind, I've found. Once you test load a couple of times, you should be able to eyeball it to near-enough. Plus or minus a fraction of a gram in bottled home brew isn't a big issue, is it? :D

If you do your own tests and you will be happier and more certain about what you prefer.

Cheers - Fermented.

Thanks guys. The lollies are a hard thing to give up :huh: . I crudly calculated a sugar drop to give a volume of 3.3, holy cow. Half a drop would equal 2.1 volume, thats overcarbed for alot of styles.

Do many people make up a sugar solution and stir it in? Or will i have to rack?

Best to mix up the sugar solution, put into the spare fermenter, hook all your tubing up and when you do place it in the bottom of the empty fermenter curling around so when you rack the beer onto it it will create a (sort off) whirlpool effect, this will allow it to mix in better.

I have heard of people mixing it into the primary but it's generally not recommended as you can stir up the yeast cake.

Thanks guys. The lollies are a hard thing to give up :huh: .

You'll just have to move on to bigger and better things :eek:

but seriously one drop is kinda not enough and two would be over the top for a stout IMO. You could always find some 500ml bottles and use one drop in these, this I have found gives a perfect carb for stout.

The lollies are for a standard kit and kilo highly carbonated standard mauri 514 brew. There is a fair amount of variation between lollies. Eat them or pass them along to some kids to eat.

If you want the ultimate in control then use bulk priming. Even the standard little scoop from the HBS will be easier to control than the lollies. With plain white sugar and no lumps, just tilt the scoop a bit for a very repeatable result. Dextrose will clump a bit compared to plain sugar.

I have disolved DME in warm water (the amount i need for the whole batch of 25L) and used a syringe to measure into the bottles. this way i am able to control the amounts between stubbies, longnecks and the grolsch bottles that i have. I can also control the carbonation level of different syles of beer.

I now bulk prime. it is much easier when not kegging.

Thanks guys. Ive done my 1st bulk prime. I just poured 180g (25L batch) of disolved malt into the fermenter and gave a gentle stir. I didnt bother racking as id chilled the fermenter for a few days so the yeast should be stuck to the bottom. Ill rack next time.

I used carb lollies for my first few brews.. damn easy but now a few months on i find that the early brews are a bit overcarbed and if i don't pour carefully i get half a glass of head....
Stick with the scoop or batch priming... cheaper and more accurate.

Latest posts

Back