Sugar / Dme Priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hassles

Reaction score
As one can prime with DME as an alternative to sugar, could one employ both substances for priming in attempt to exploit the attributes of both methods ?

I've been advised to use dextrose as it provides a creamier head. I have about a week to go before I can taste test this as I did my first bulk prime a week ago using dextrose. This advise was from my lhbs so I think it might be sound advice considering ldme Is more expensive.

Dextrose provides a creamier head? You might be thinking of maltodextrin as dextrose is just glucose, unless I'm missing something.

When I was bottling I did it both ways.

Sugar, table, corn, or other 100% fermentable type, gives the most predictable results.

I think extract gave a smaller bubble size but can not be sure. I can say it is harder to use because one needs to figure out how fermentable it is as well as how much to use. It needs to be weighed to get an accurate amount.

If I started to bottle again I would use cheep sugar. The amount used is insignificant to make any real difference. Consider the amount of sugar used in K&K as a comparison.

As one can prime with DME as an alternative to sugar, could one employ both substances for priming in attempt to exploit the attributes of both methods ?

What attributes? I've primed with both in the past and there was never any difference at all, apart from DME being a PITA to measure in such small amounts (if priming individual bottles).

When I bottled, I used to Bulk prime with DME mainly. Becouse I like my beers quite young I thought this added a little sweetness. IMO dex and DME should give the same head result as the yeast fart out the same stuff. A 6 week old beer should taste the same with either. Best to do a SXS comparison and decide for yourself.
Also agree with Pennywise priming each bottle with DME would be a shit afternoon even though your making beer.

Cheers

Dextrose provides a creamier head? You might be thinking of maltodextrin as dextrose is just glucose, unless I'm missing something.
Isn't Maltodextrin about 30% fermentable? Would be crappy to use that if you are trying to carb in the bottle.

I wasn't suggesting you use it for priming, I was just refuting the advice from your LHBS about dextrose

I wasn't suggesting you use it for priming, I was just refuting the advice from your LHBS about dextrose
Ah, my bad. The guy who was working there has moved on anyway.

Back