Style Of The Week 22/11/06 - Witbier

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check this out. I finally found dried orange peel in the local Asian grocery store.
Looking at the label closely, it seems to be some natural remedy for an unset guts.
Unfortunately it seems to be covered with saccharine and my guess would be citric acid.
Tastes bloody aweful!
Lucky i tried it before i was tempted to use it!
View attachment 11742

Kum Kok brand? :blink: Did the peel have a pronounced pork flavour? :lol:

Edit: Don't they make oyster sauce too?

Warren -

i think they did the cream of sumyunguy :p

Thanks for the reminder about Grain & Grape Warren.

speaking of G&G, anyone know how long it was since their last 20% off sale and how often they do it?
Papa needs a pump and orange peel :)

I'm with you Tangent, time for another 20% sale.....do any of the G&G blokes post here

Rook

tell us how you go getting the plant if you decide to braufrau, love growing things and if they can go into my beers there even better! :)

-Phill

tell us how you go getting the plant if you decide to braufrau, love growing things and if they can go into my beers there even better! :)

-Phill

I plan to see if I can get one from the rare fruit growers in spring when they do
their citrus budding. I'll let you know what I discover.

added dried mandarine and coriander to the mash and only a very small amount (maybe, i can't really remember) to the flame out.
keep you posted on the results

... im about to make another one this weekend actually.

I used chamomille in my last one as per the mosher instruction i radical brewing, and it tasted absolutely fantastic. i used a combination of chamomille, cumin, crushed coriander and orange peel .. jsut want to get the ratios right now. 7grams of dried chamomille ..but ive seent he flowers in a tea shop so im goign to try those.

oh, my last one had a few juniper berries in it too - only a slight hint of that, but tasted great.

Anyone have a great sure-fire partial recipe I can try? I didnt get much haze in my last one,e ven though i used plain flour .. i found this flour in the asian food sore called "atta flour" that I might use? apparently its really high in protein ..

Oh, ona side note. As soon as this Wit is done, I'm going to use the yeast trub to make a bruin/peeterman style beer... if thats the actual name for it. It'll basically be a dunkel style witbier .. i havn't seen much on this style anywhere, or that it has been done much before, so if anyone has any ideas for it let me know .. basically goign to be an experiment. Im doing spice matching as well, and I'm thinking of using some cardamom in it along with the usual.. and i have some dark wheat malt that should be great also .. any other suggestions for it, grain, etc would be much appreciated.

mine is drinking well at the moment but could have used more mandarin peel at flameout.
i thought i used too much coriander seed but after trying a La Chouffe last night, i think i could have used a bit more.

why do i feel the need to read 9 pages everytime i think about making another wit

anyway i'm making a forbidden fruit clone soon but thought i'd make a wit to build up the yeasties for the bigger beer first so i can just dump in a cup of sludge instead of trying to build up anotehr starter.

how did people go with there sour wits? having tasted a few sour beers latly i'v realised i like them but no idea where to begin with them. should i just add 3% acidulated malt? maybe sour some malt like les did in his other thread? or perhaps put half the brew aside and infect it with some orval dregs (my prefered option)?

would like to hear your idea's or how you guys went about souring a wit

cheers

-Phill

once again i should think befor i post, souring a wit then putting another beer ontop of it would sour that beer, idiot. still i would love to hear peoples preferences on souring a wit

-Phill

once again i should think befor i post, souring a wit then putting another beer ontop of it would sour that beer, idiot. still i would love to hear peoples preferences on souring a wit

-Phill

I'd say it would work well. Kind of a berlinner wit as it were.

I wouldn't necessarily be so sure that the sourness would carry through. I'm fairly certain it would but an experience I had made me wonder.

I recently had an infected Scottish ale. The infection turned out to be a wild yeast infection, at least if the person who identified is correct, and it took a while to become obvious. In the meantime I had pitched a belgian golden on the yeast cake of the scottish, to approximate a duvel, and away that one went.

4 months on the Scottish is all tipped out as each bottle had become a gusher but the golden ale is beautiful. So either wild yeast infections don't necessarily carry through or else they work well in a belgian, which is very possible of course :D . The point being that it doesn't seem 100% certain that a soured wort would carry through, although it more than very likely would.

Then again, a soured forbidden fruit type beer wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing now would it?

If you soured it with acid malt, that certainly wouldn't carry through to the next beer. Or you could infect it with Orval in secondary, keeping the primary yeast cake pure.

Going to make a Wit on the weekend. Whats peoples preferred White Labs yeast to use? Never used WL yeast. Can you just pitch it or do you have to make a starter? Or would WB06 be suitable?
Cheers
Steve

Going to make a Wit on the weekend. Whats peoples preferred White Labs yeast to use? Never used WL yeast. Can you just pitch it or do you have to make a starter? Or would WB06 be suitable?
Cheers
Steve

The new WB-06 yeast is for german wheat based beers, innappropriate for a wit, you need to get a liquid yeast. Not sure on what people prefer but white labs have two wit strains WLP400 and WLP410 (the 410 is a platinum strain, harder to get hold of). Another belgian strain may be an OK substitute and make a nice beer, but you really want a proper wit yeast for the traditional witbier flavour.

Dave

The new WB-06 yeast is for german wheat based beers, innappropriate for a wit, you need to get a liquid yeast. Not sure on what people prefer but white labs have two wit strains WLP400 and WLP410 (the 410 is a platinum strain, harder to get hold of). Another belgian strain may be an OK substitute and make a nice beer, but you really want a proper wit yeast for the traditional witbier flavour.

Dave

Thanks Dave
Steve

If you really can't or really don't want to use liquid, and it is easily the best choice for this style, t58 is a backup option.
Mind you, Chad from this forum has been placing very well in comps with his wit, and it used k-97... So the use of raw wheat and appropriate spice levels would appear to be the most important aspect...

I an also say that WLP550 works quite nicely, if you are interested in a more multi-purpose yeast for reuse reasons...
But a specialty wit yeast would be the best choice...

Latest posts

Back