Style Of The Week 11/10/06 - Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished reading Farmhouse Ales last night and I'm inspired and determined to make use of the "February sun in Adelaide" (apologies to all Dragon fans :D ).
Has anyone attempted the Classic Saison recipe which is 90% Pils and 10% Wheat? This is certainly the way I am leaning at this stage. I have the required hops and my old mate Warren will be supplying me with some yeast :beerbang: KISS seems like an apt acronym here.

C&B
TDA

Yoicks! TDA... You just reminded me. :blink:

{Warren's footsteps off to the PO} :lol:

Oh! I can recommend this recipe highly. Keep this thread alive guys! What a style! ;)

Warren -

Well, I didn't got that simple, but I've had two cracks with mainly base malt and wheat grain bills, both of which are drinking pretty fast. :chug:

The first one was 5.5kg JW Export Pilsner, 1kg W'mann Vienna, 1kg JW Wheat. The second one was 3kg JW Trad ale, 2kg W'mann Vienna, 2kg JW Wheat, 100g W'mann acidulated, 100g JW Crystal wheat. I'm sure if you have some nice pilsner malt, then that 90/10 mix will be good.

The first one is getting some good reviews. My non-beer-drinking brother-in-law bizarrely loved it. He hardly drinks but raved about this one, especially it's clean taste. :unsure:

I found the Saison yeast a dream to work with. No stalling, no need for temperature control, clean and 92% attenuation with both batches. :party:

I'm brewing one in the next few days for a friend's wedding reception.

Will be based on the BYO Dec 2006 recipe at OG 1.064 and 6.8 % alc. Have substituted Aussie malts for the Belgian ones in the mag. Will be using Wyeast Saison yeast and some interesting hops for bitterness and aroma/flavr.

Will post the recipe once I find it again.

Seth :p

Saison :wub: have not brewed a bad one yet.

Edit after 4 Saisons and 1 Biere de Garde, nice.

I'm brewing one in the next few days for a friend's wedding reception.

Will be based on the BYO Dec 2006 recipe at OG 1.064 and 6.8 % alc. Have substituted Aussie malts for the Belgian ones in the mag. Will be using Wyeast Saison yeast and some interesting hops for bitterness and aroma/flavr.

Will post the recipe once I find it again.

Seth :p

I think you might end up with more than 6.8% from a 1064 wort using the Saison yeast. :party:

Love to see the recipe if you can get your hands on it. :)

To all you Saison lovers White Labs have a new Saison yeast :super:
From their site: WLP566 Belgian Saison II Yeast
PLATINUM STRAIN – March/April
Saison strain with more fruity ester production than with WLP565. Moderately phenolic, with a clove-like characteristic in finished beer flavor and aroma. Ferments faster than WLP565.
Attenuation: 78-85%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-78 F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

What caught my attention Was Ferments faster than WLP565

Edit: typo

Yeah, OK, I may have to do that.

Cheers for the info man, I appreciate it :beer:

PZ.

Any bottles it can be recultured from?
Yes - Saison Dupont. I've got a batch with recultured Dupont yeast fermenting right - should be interesting to compare with 3724 if the brewer's four strain claims in Farmhouse Ales are correct.

Has anyone tried reculturing from Barking Duck? I suspect it isn't bottle-conditioned but I'm pretty sure they use a combination of 3724 and something more plain (1056?)

Chevalier Saison would be another candidate but I doubt that's available outside of Vic.

Has anyone tried reculturing from Barking Duck? I suspect it isn't bottle-conditioned but I'm pretty sure they use a combination of 3724 and something more plain (1056?)

Yes it is bottle conditioned! i read it on the matilda bay website somewhere it excapes me now.

would using the 1056 speed up fermentation? i'm not real keen on waiting a month for it to ferment out.

Cheers Rob.

Okay, I am ready to bottle my first attempt at a Saison and was wondering for those brewers that have bottled this style before what sort of priming sugar/ litre ratio you use? FG is at 1006 BTW.

C&B
TDA

TDA

Got prime high(ish). Around 8 grams per litre. :beer:

Warren -

Mines been in primary for nearly 5 Weeks! man how long do these things take?

Notes:

23L @ 1058

pitched @ 20*C and let rise to 30ish (now sitting on 36*C with 2 x heater belts)

Starting SG=1058
Week 1 SG=1040
Week 2 SG=1032
Week 3 SG=1022
Week 4 SG=1020
Week 4 1/2 SG=1016

its still bubbling every few seconds!

Rob.

Bottled a saison on the weekend managed to get it down from 1.066 to 1.010 in six weeks.

Bottled a saison on the weekend managed to get it down from 1.066 to 1.010 in six weeks.

another one tipsy :p i know it'll be worth the wait the hydro samples are tasting awesome
i'll return the favour and flick you one when it's matured some!

Rob.

Had a saison in primary about 4 weeks ago, 1062 OG, down now to 1003! Helped that i went on holidays for 2 weeks. Still, it got to 1020 in primary after about 4 days, since i pitched a healthy yeast population - about 800mL starter on a stirplate. That's about 95% attenuation. Gotta bottle it soon and dilute it a bit since now it's at 7.7% alcohol or so, when i wanted it about the 6% mark :)

Back