Style Of The Week 1/8/07 - Mild

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can any Mild experts browse my recipe and make some suggestions?

Mild
OG 1.032
IBU 20

71% Ale Malt
11% Light Crystal
8% Amber Malt (no biscuit malt at LHBS)
8% Dark Crystal
2% Chocolate

Goldings @ 60 to 20IBU

WYeast 1968 London ESB Ale Yeast

Mash @ 68 for 90minutes

Any suggestions would be great!

Bullsneck

edit - spelling

Looks tasty though with that much crystal it might stop high, and be very low alcohol. Boost the OG up to 1.038/40 so if it stops at 1.015 it'll be right on the abv.

Mild
OG 1.032
IBU 20

71% Ale Malt
11% Light Crystal
8% Dark Crystal
2% Chocolate

Goldings @ 60 to 20IBU

Mash @ 68 for 90minutes

Bullsneck

edit - spelling
For me this is going to be far too sweet/cloying. And that much Amber would put many off this recipe.
Dump the Light Crystal and replace with Munich I, instead of the Amber as a straight biscuit replacement I'd use Wey. Abbey. Victory may be ok too. While Amber gives a biscuity flavour it can be harsh in larger percentages and 8% in a mild is too much.
Bump up the OG to 1.036 and split the hops. I'd go .5gm/L at 15mins and adjust the 60min addition to keep IBU around 20. Personally even 18IBU would be enough.
Just my opinion though.
Cheers
Nige

I wish I'd seen the later posts before ordering the grain. Looks like I'll just have to give it a red hot go and do my best. Trouble is, I was hoping this would be my case swap beer.

To make matters worse, ive just been out to the freezer and my 90g pack of Styrians has somehow sprung a leak and subsequently is suffering from a bad case of freezer burn. 90g of goodness heading to 'hop heaven'. Can anyone suggest from the list what would be a good sub and put forward a hop schedule that would combat the malt bill?

Magnum (14.4%) 90g
Pride of Ringwood Flowers (9.5%) 15g
Styrian Goldings (5.0%) 20g
NZ Organic Cascade (8.7%) 40g
US Cascade(5.0%) 20g
Simcoe(12.2%) 90g
Centennial (9.9%) 50g
Galaxy (14.0%) 49g
Motueka (8.6%) 62g
Citra (11.1%) 90g
Northern Brewer (9.6%) 35g
Northern Brewer (11.7%) 20g
Nelson Sauvin (12.6%) 90g
Amarillo (8.2%) 90g
Czech Saaz(3.7%) 90g
Hallertau Mittlefrueh(5.2%) 90g
Horizon(10.9%) 10g

I've also got homegrown Chinook, Nugget, Goldings and Cascade although I am not too keen to use these as a buttering addition as I don't know that AA.

Thanks very much in advance.

bullsneck

By the process of elimination:

Magnum (14.4%) 90g
Pride of Ringwood Flowers (9.5%) 15g

Styrian Goldings (5.0%) 20g
NZ Organic Cascade (8.7%) 40g
US Cascade (5.0%) 20g
Simcoe (12.2%) 90g
Centennial (9.9%) 50g
Galaxy (14.0%) 49g
Motueka (8.6%) 62g
Citra (11.1%) 90g
Northern Brewer (9.6%) 35g
Northern Brewer (11.7%) 20g
Nelson Sauvin (12.6%) 90g
Amarillo (8.2%) 90g

Czech Saaz (3.7%) 90g
Hallertau Mittlefrueh (5.2%) 90g
Horizon (10.9%) 10g

Not bagging the hops I struckthrough (hell, anyone on here knows that I sing the praises frequently of Nelson Sauvin and Citra in particular), but they aren't in style.

I reckon you'd use the Northern Brewer/Centennial for bittering, and then a bit of 15 min of styrian/saaz/hallertauer until the entire figure was about 20IBU, plus some of those to dry hop.

I'm about to do a mild myself, and it looks like it'll cop either EKG or Styrian as the main flavour hop, and I'll find something that bitters smooth at 60m, plus some dry hopping of EKG/Styrian. I won't go over the top though, which is hard for a hop head.

Just a thought.

Goomba

id go ether por or northern brewer for bittering, then a mix of goldings and styrians for the flavour and aroma hops

Northern brewer yes, centennial no.

Never used magnum but it is often praised as a neutral bittering hop. Chuck the styrians in for a flavour addition at 10-20 mins out.

Northern brewer yes, centennial no.

Never used magnum but it is often praised as a neutral bittering hop. Chuck the styrians in for a flavour addition at 10-20 mins out.

Why not centennial. I've tried a beer at Ross' joint that has it and love it. I'd love to hear it from someone who uses it (and further the debate).

Goomba

I use Northern Brewer to bitter most of my English beers, German Northern Brewer.
No disrespect Goomba but dry hopping a Mild? IMO Mild is a malt driven beer.
I'd be using the 20gm Styrians at 15 minutes and as much NB @ 60 mins as needed to give you 18-20IBU in total.
Cheers
Nige

Why not centennial. I've tried a beer at Ross' joint that has it and love it. I'd love to hear it from someone who uses it (and further the debate).

Goomba

Centennial is great but not in an English mild. Even a small amount in a beer screams american hop related grapefruit to me.

If you wanted an experimental hybrid type mild then by all means.

I use Northern Brewer to bitter most of my English beers, German Northern Brewer.
I'd be using the 20gm Styrians at 15 minutes and as much NB @ 60 mins as needed to give you 18-20IBU in total.
Cheers
Nige
It's not unknown for milds to be dry hopped in the cask.
I'd agree overall that malt defines this style there is still scope dry hop.

As to some of the comments above I wouldn't use Centennial in a mild, or at least I wouldn't call it a mild. I don't want to sound like a style Nazi, because I'm really not, but given this is the style of the week thread....
I've tasted some nice mid-strength beers hopped with US hops, but call it a US mild, or a mid strength APA, or something.
I love Centennial, it's a great hop, but I wouldn't put it in a mild myself...

Cheers
Nige

No issue with what you or manticle said. I'm constantly, when formulating my next beer, fighting the urge to whack bucketloads of fruit hops, over dry hop, over hop everything.

I'm actually going to try to limit my dry hopping and use "to style" hops, rather than just chucking shedloads of american fruit driven hops at everything, which I have a propensity to do.

Goomba

My comments with regard to the use of late/dry hops in a mild should be taken in the context of this being a 'Style of the Week' thread.
If brewing to BJCP Guidelines then the use of late hops is out of place.
I do agree that some Milds may be cask hopped but these wouldn't do all that well in BJCP comps.

In the majority of cases I brew to drink as many others here do and have been known to throw a bit of this or that into a brew just because it sounds good at the time.
Cheers
Nige

I think you can get away with no late hops. Most of mine have no late hops, just a 60 min. Mmm roasty malty

Mild
OG 1.032
IBU 20

71% Ale Malt
11% Light Crystal
8% Dark Crystal
2% Chocolate

Goldings @ 60 to 20IBU

Mash @ 68 for 90minutes

Bullsneck

edit - spelling

Considering the malt bill will leave the beer quite cloying, shall I still mash high or would I be best to drop it back a couple of degrees?

Considering the malt bill will leave the beer quite cloying, shall I still mash high or would I be best to drop it back a couple of degrees?
Brew as is would be my recommendation if you already have the grain crushed and mixed.
You will need a little sweetness with 20 IBU in a 1.032 beer and that much Amber malt.
Worst that can happen is you will make beer, you will learn plenty from this brew IMO.
Cheers
Nige

May have posted above somewhere but I'm out of Northdown and seriously thinking of Willamette as the bittering hop. Made a SMASH-SHA with just base malt and Will. and you wouldn't pick it for an American Hop, almost Fuggly. It's on tap at the moment.

May have posted above somewhere but I'm out of Northdown and seriously thinking of Willamette as the bittering hop. Made a SMASH-SHA with just base malt and Will. and you wouldn't pick it for an American Hop, almost Fuggly. It's on tap at the moment.
Hear hear, BribieG, I haven't used it for all that long however it is one of the few Americans I can say that I quite like, for both bittering and late additions.

I thought willamette was in fact American grown Fuggles...!

Latest posts

Back