Style Of The Week 1/8/07 - Mild

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds the goods. If I were making that I'd sub the chocolate malt with some Carafa3 to avoid getting a bit of a 'coffee' twang? Also have you thought of using a liquid yeast such as Ringwood? Ringwood and Milds are a match made in heaven.

Sounds the goods. If I were making that I'd sub the chocolate malt with some Carafa3 to avoid getting a bit of a 'coffee' twang? Also have you thought of using a liquid yeast such as Ringwood? Ringwood and Milds are a match made in heaven.

Well I wanted to use Choc Chit, but .....
Looking at the suggested FG, I might have to give a liquid yeast a go.

Well I wanted to use Choc Chit, but .....
Looking at the suggested FG, I might have to give a liquid yeast a go.
I've stashed away a secret supply of JW choc chit guarded by a guy with an AK 47 :icon_cheers: - yes that would go great if you still have some, I thought you were referring to the UK Choc that apparently is a bit more harsh.

My new fave style. Just my .02c but a little biscuit malt adds a nice touch to a mild.

Mmmmmm mild. Im trying not to drink mine now, as its going to the big brew day on sat!

Made this a little while ago

Came out a treat

Cheers

Batch Size (L): 20.00 Wort Size (L): 20.00
Total Grain (Kg): 3.15
Anticipated OG: 1.036 Plato: 9.00
Anticipated SRM: 25.9
Anticipated IBU: 19.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes
Mash Temp: 67

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Extract SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
79.4 2.50 kg. Simpson Marris Otter England 1.029 3
6.3 0.20 kg. Dingemans Biscuit Malt Belgium 1.002 24
6.3 0.20 kg. Weyermann - Caramunich II Germany 1.002 63
4.8 0.15 kg. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.002 475
3.2 0.10 kg. Roasted Barley Great Britain 1.001 575

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
15.00 g. Northdown Pellet 7.76 19.1 60 min.

Yeast
-----
Nottingham

Brewed this a couple weeks back, went on tap Monday. Is a cracker, will definitely be a house beer for me!

Cheers

I have a mild with ringwood in the fermenter I need to keg tomorrow.

I got the ridiculous efficiency of 1.055 or something, probably because of scaling up an old recipe. I mashed at a good 68-9, so it has stopped at 1.020.

I don't think it could be judged as a mild, and it is probably not as sessionable, but it is bloody beautiful, like chocolate milk.

If i could only brew one style forever i think this is it!. My latest is yummy.

71.4% MO
9.5% Pale choc
6.3% caramunich 3
6.3% Biscuit
6.3% sugar

galena 60

1.035 ( ended up 1.038 )

20 IBU.

I carbed it at half what i normally carb my beers, and it seems to work with this style. I get a few points on small beers so next time im going to adjust my eff to hit 1.033-1.035, as i want to see if i can make a mild less than 3.5%.

Trying a pale mild next. I have the classic beer styles mild book, and im surprised at how many of them use a high % of sugaz. Not sure if game to add that much yet!. Im trying this one with roast barley next.

87% simpsons maris otter
1.7% Pale choc
2.6% RB
8.7% Wey caramunich 3

Galena 60

21 IBU.

Well, it's paler than my others but still not really a pale mild. Totally different to my other ones, but very very nice. I think i actually prefer this ( the above ) to my earlier efforts. The small amount of roast barley gives it a nice dry finish. Mmmm, extremely drinkable!

Well, it's paler than my others but still not really a pale mild. Totally different to my other ones, but very very nice. I think i actually prefer this ( the above ) to my earlier efforts. The small amount of roast barley gives it a nice dry finish. Mmmm, extremely drinkable!

Howdy mje - what yeast and ferment temp are you using?

1469, and i keep it around 18c.

Thanks mate - mashing your recipe above right now at 68c

71.4% MO
9.5% Pale choc
6.3% caramunich 3
6.3% Biscuit
6.3% sugar

galena 60 - replaced with EKG

Ha sweet!. I should've added i add my dark malts at the last 15 mins, but it shouldn't matter too much. Biscuit is unreal in a mild IMHO, though i love biscuit malt in my morning weetbix hahaha :icon_cheers:

Let us know how it goes mate.

Slightly OT mje but as a fellow lover of biscuit, have you tried victory?

Biscuit was unavailable in yesterday's vic bulk buy so I grabbed victory instead, hoping for a similar character. Mashing in an oat stout with it now. Just wondering if you have experience with it for comparison.

Mild would be good for me to brew considering I love english beers and drink way too much volume.

Ha sweet!. I should've added i add my dark malts at the last 15 mins, but it shouldn't matter too much. Biscuit is unreal in a mild IMHO, though i love biscuit malt in my morning weetbix hahaha :icon_cheers:

Let us know how it goes mate.

Will do! I can say the mash smells great. I havent kept the dark malts back (and I'm using Cara II in stead of CaraIII because that's what I had on hand.) Got a lovely 1469 yeast cake too - I was going to wash it for a stout I have lined up, but I might see what kind of krausen I have going on and do some scooping.

No but wey abbey is supposed to be very similar. I have 4kgs of it at the moment but no biscuit :(. I used 40% abbey malt in a brown ale not long ago and it was a cracker, malty and smooth.

I hear ya mate, im programmed to have a few, and a few pints of 3.2% mild doesnt leave me wobbly!!. Great flavour for such a low ABV beer. The last one i posted ( drinking now, yummo ) was supposed to be a pale mild, but its still too dark. I was so happy with the Roast barley, i think im gunna try to do a pale mild with just 1% RB 99% MO.

Will do! I can say the mash smells great. I havent kept the dark malts back (and I'm using Cara II in stead of CaraIII because that's what I had on hand.) Got a lovely 1469 yeast cake too - I was going to wash it for a stout I have lined up, but I might see what kind of krausen I have going on and do some scooping.

1469 is such a cracker!!

Can any Mild experts browse my recipe and make some suggestions?

Mild
OG 1.032
IBU 20

71% Ale Malt
11% Light Crystal
8% Amber Malt (no biscuit malt at LHBS)
8% Dark Crystal
2% Chocolate

Goldings @ 60 to 20IBU

WYeast 1968 London ESB Ale Yeast

Mash @ 68 for 90minutes

Any suggestions would be great!

Bullsneck

edit - spelling

Looks luscious - but a wee bit of hop aroma can be nice, suggest moving a bit of the hops to late hops.

My regular mild has 15g Northdown 60 mins and 10g Styrians 10 mins

Back