Style Of The Week 1/8/07 - Mild

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Making this today

2kg pils
3.1kg vienna
600g choc
700g caramunich2
200g brown

16g newport for 60 mins.

Maybe s04

I have no ale malt, hence the pils n vienna. I recently made a vienna dark ale that was very good.

25 SRM
16.6 IBU
3.2%

First mild i have tried. Gunna mash high as well.

Ended up only having 90g of brown, so went with that. Fermented with whitbread ale yeast. The smell from the cube into the fermentor was ridiculously beautiful. Samples taste delicious. Went from 1.035 to 1.010. Kegged yesterday and will try tomorrow. Cannot wait. It gets better, i threw geoffi's stout on top of the yeast cake, so soon i'll have that on tap too. I love dark beers now!!!!

I've been really interested in brewing this style for a while. We are getting our house renovated, so I wanted to brew a beer that the tradies could drink at the end of the day without writing themselves off, and mild seemed the perfect option. I bought the book "Brew your own British Real Ale" by Graham Wheerler and used the recipe for Batemans Dark Mild. I got some tasting notes of the real thing of a few websites and compared my brew and it measures up perfectly. Gorgeous creamy mouthfeel, with a nice toasty, nutty flavour and just a hint of hops. Mine came out at 2.7% which is perfect.

Cheers - Snow

Here's the recipe:

BATEMANS DARK MILD
For 23L at 70% efficiency

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.90 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (3.0 SRM) Grain 78.80 %
0.41 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (60.0 SRM) Grain 11.14 %
0.24 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (660.0 SRM) Grain 6.52 %
0.13 kg Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 3.53 %
22.00 gm Challenger [7.90 %] (90 min) Hops 22.5 IBU
10.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.70 %] (10 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
1.00 items Sodium Metabisulphite (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #1469) [Starter 2500 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.035 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 2.73 %
Bitterness: 24.6 IBU Calories: 329 cal/l
Est Color: 27.4 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Single Infusion, Medium Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
70 min Mash 67.0 C
10 min Mash Out 77.0 C

Ferment at 19C for 7 days. Racked and cold conditioned for 2 weeks

Snow, are you heading for BABBs this evening? I've got one last bottle of my BABBs comp mild left we might crack it. I don't know how it's travelling as it's best drunk fresh but we'll find out :icon_cheers:

4000 Golden Promise
150 TF Choc Chit
100 Carafa T3

Mashed 60 min 70 degrees

15g Northdown 60 min
10g Styrian Goldings 15 min

200g white sugar
200g LDME (used in reculturing Wyeast Ringwood yeast for a good pitch and quick ferment)

Some wheat would have definitely been the go as well, for creamy head and mouthfeel.
PS I'll have to ask around for you as I haven't a clue what your human name is :p

Snow, are you heading for BABBs this evening? I've got one last bottle of my BABBs comp mild left we might crack it. I don't know how it's travelling as it's best drunk fresh but we'll find out :icon_cheers:

4000 Golden Promise
150 TF Choc Chit
100 Carafa T3

Mashed 60 min 70 degrees

15g Northdown 60 min
10g Styrian Goldings 15 min

200g white sugar
200g LDME (used in reculturing Wyeast Ringwood yeast for a good pitch and quick ferment)

Some wheat would have definitely been the go as well, for creamy head and mouthfeel.
PS I'll have to ask around for you as I haven't a clue what your human name is :p

Ah Bribie... you know me for sure. I'll come up and bug you for some of that mild tonight. My "real" name is Stephen Wharton, but most call me Snow. I'll bring my dark mild for you to sample and we'll compare notes. I also have a Courage Directors clone I'd like your opinion on :)

Cheers - Snow

I've been really interested in brewing this style for a while. We are getting our house renovated, so I wanted to brew a beer that the tradies could drink at the end of the day without writing themselves off, and mild seemed the perfect option. I bought the book "Brew your own British Real Ale" by Graham Wheerler and used the recipe for Batemans Dark Mild. I got some tasting notes of the real thing of a few websites and compared my brew and it measures up perfectly. Gorgeous creamy mouthfeel, with a nice toasty, nutty flavour and just a hint of hops. Mine came out at 2.7% which is perfect.

Cheers - Snow

Here's the recipe:

BATEMANS DARK MILD
For 23L at 70% efficiency

2.90 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (3.0 SRM) Grain 78.80 %
0.41 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (60.0 SRM) Grain 11.14 %
0.24 kg Black Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (660.0 SRM) Grain 6.52 %
0.13 kg Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 3.53 %
22.00 gm Challenger [7.90 %] (90 min) Hops 22.5 IBU
10.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.70 %] (10 min) Hops 2.1 IBU
1.00 items Sodium Metabisulphite (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #1469) [Starter 2500 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.035 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 2.73 %
Bitterness: 24.6 IBU Calories: 329 cal/l
Est Color: 27.4 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Single Infusion, Medium Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
70 min Mash 67.0 C
10 min Mash Out 77.0 C

Ferment at 19C for 7 days. Racked and cold conditioned for 2 weeks
Will have to brew this.
Used to have it in casks at Wyberton Sports and Social, Lincolnshire when I was Manager there, a really nice drop for sure.
But couldn't understand the one guy who would come in at opening time every night and have one Mild Shandy then leave. Very strange fellow! :lol:
Nige

Hey snow whats the sodium met for & how much ?
When you say cold condition did you rack to a cube after primary ferment then put in the fridge ?
Sorry for the questions but I am keen to give this one a go as I have 3kgs of ale malt left.
cheers rude

Hey snow whats the sodium met for & how much ?
When you say cold condition did you rack to a cube after primary ferment then put in the fridge ?
Sorry for the questions but I am keen to give this one a go as I have 3kgs of ale malt left.
cheers rude
Hey Rude,

the sodium met is purely for its anti-oxidising properties in the mash. I only use a decent pinch of it, maybe a 1/2 of a gram. You're dead right with the cold conditioning. Rack it to secondary after primary is finished and stick it in the fridge for a couple of weeks. This gets rid of the "green" flavours whilst mostly preserving hop aromas. I usually leave the secondary out of the fridge for a few days before cold conditioning, in case the racking process kicks of further fermentation, but for some reason I forgot to do it with this brew.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier, is that I think next time, I would go a degree or two higher in the mash to bolster the mouthfeel. I'll also try others' suggestions here and lower the carbonation for more improved flavour.

Cheers - Snow

Thanks for the reply snow definately will give this a go mash at 68 c
Never cced before mate so will try this allso ,just one thing do you rack to another fermenter wait a couple of days then put the fermenter in the fridge or do you just use a cube?
Once again sorry for the questions but have been using the search with no luck.
cheers rude
If you are using a bog standard 'barrel' shaped 30L fermenter then it's a good idea to get a smaller 25L version for cold conditioning as it fits better in the fridge and you end up with very little headspace.

More questions snow I no chill & bottle so after ccing I would have to let the wort warm up to rack to a bottling bucket to bulk prime to get my carbonation correct.
Have been going for 2.4 so maybe go for 2
Would this practice look sound to you?
cheers rude
Rude,
You can bulk prime with the beer still cold BUT work out the amount of priming sugar based on the highest temp during active fermentation.
i.e. Ferment at 18C, cold condition at 2C. Amount of sugar based on the 18C
For the above recipe I would go for 1.6 vol., so according to beersmith I would use 63gm dextrose to prime 23Litres.
Cheers
Nige

Edit:- spelling

For me, all ales get drunk straight away, no conditioning at all. The mild above was tasted as soon as the 24hr carb time was up. Delicious!!. Just my .02 cents though, i know its all preference.

Cheers

Will have a few more tonight!!

thanks for the info crew I do 25l batches so will have to get a 25l fermenter to cc
cheers all

I agree with the above answers to your questions, Rude! :)

Theoretically, you don't actually have to rack to secondary to condition your beer. I have conditioned in primary before with no problems, but I just find the beer conditions a bit faster in secondary. It's a balance between expediency, practicality and risk of infection. Also, I like to free up my favourite primary fermenter for the next batch!

Cheers - Snow.

For me, all ales get drunk straight away, no conditioning at all. The mild above was tasted as soon as the 24hr carb time was up. Delicious!!. Just my .02 cents though, i know its all preference.

Cheers

Will have a few more tonight!!

Theres a bit of debate on this, but my 2c + your 2c = 4c....for me, the time taken for it to drop bright is the max I'd leave it. Grain to brain, super quick. If I'm not drinking a mild within 7-9 days of pitching it, somethings wrong.

That being said, my milds are more mild....0.7 BUGU doesn't cut it as a mild, for me...it's a bitter, regardless of the name. Possibly a good beer, maybe a great beer....but I wouldn't consider it to be mild. 2c only.

I agree with the above answers to your questions, Rude! :)

Theoretically, you don't actually have to rack to secondary to condition your beer. I have conditioned in primary before with no problems, but I just find the beer conditions a bit faster in secondary. It's a balance between expediency, practicality and risk of infection. Also, I like to free up my favourite primary fermenter for the next batch!

Cheers - Snow.

Snow, don't happen to have an XXXB recipe up ya sleeve do ya.
I'll be brewing one of these very soon ta mate!

Ya I know him, and I'd stick with the recipe as is - it really looks the goods (ie: don't take short-cuts). The Batemans dark mild has won more than its fair share of medals & awards in its time :icon_cheers: .

I did a mild on Tuesday, I'll be bottling it on Monday and it should be right to drink about a week after that. That's how it's made in the UK, grain to brain in two Sabbaths :icon_cheers:

I brewed this yesterday. Ran out of black patent, so subbed Carafa 3. Keen to see how the biscuit goes.

I may never brew another "light" coloured beer again, this style rocks!!.

75.5% JW trad ale
5.7% Choc
3.6% carafa 3
7.6% Caramunich 3
7.6% Biscuit

Newport @ 60 mins for 18 IBU

7g gypsum in the mash.

18 IBU

Whitbread

I also have a bitza mild in the keg, fermented with WY2565 koelsch. Very very smooth!!.

I've been reading David Sutulas "Mild Ale" and came up with this (which is another take on Batemans Dark Mild). Nail this one and I might have a crack at the 1824 historic recipe - light brown, 6.6% and 56 IBUs "Its Mild, Jim, but not as we know it"

Windmill Mild
Mild

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 22.89 L
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00

Ingredients

1.80 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 62.94 %
0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 10.49 %
0.16 kg Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 5.59 %