Style Of The Week 1/8/07 - Mild

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just about to keg this one - Tastes great out the fermenter.
Mashed high to give a high finishing gravity, otherwise these low alc beers IMO taste pretty ordinary when carbed more highly along side my other ales.
Must fit another reg just for my pommie beers.... :)

Carbrook Mild
Mild
Type: All Grain
Date: 2/04/2008
Batch Size: 26.00 L
Boil Size: 34.00 L
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.3 EBC) Grain 51.02 %
1.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (25.0 EBC) Grain 25.51 %
0.30 kg Crystal Malt -Bairds light Crystal (110.0 EBC) Grain 7.65 %
0.30 kg Maize, Flaked (Bairds) (2.5 EBC) Grain 7.65 %
0.12 kg Chocolate Malt (1300.0 EBC) Grain 3.06 %
0.10 kg Brown Malt (145.0 EBC) Grain 2.55 %
0.10 kg Caraaroma (390.0 EBC) Grain 2.55 %
41.00 gm Fuggles [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 21.5 IBU
20.00 gm Williamette [4.40 %] (5 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Table Salt (Boil 90.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Windsor Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Measured Original Gravity: 1.040 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 2.99 %
Bitterness: 23.4 IBU Calories: 380 cal/l
Est Color: 40.3 EBC
Mashed at 68c

Cheers Ross

Just about to keg this one - Tastes great out the fermenter.
Mashed high to give a high finishing gravity, otherwise these low alc beers IMO taste pretty ordinary when carbed more highly along side my other ales.
Must fit another reg just for my pommie beers.... :)

Yep, find that often with Dark Milds. They're almost a better proposition completely flat. Too much sparkle all but mutes them... I make a practice of regularly bleeding the pressure off the keg every day or so. If I can I dispense without added gas.

Becomes a balancing act. Personally I love 'em.

That one looks no exception Ross. B)

Warren -

The last mild I brewed was last week.

I intentionally carbed it low @ about 1.4 Vol CO2. Almost flat, like U say, Warren.

Quite nice, with a fair bit of dark crystal, and a medium mash temp (67-68C).

Split batch between Ringwood Ale yeast and London Ale yeast.

Les out :p

i tend to force carb my milds to about 40-50kpa at the most..
the gas QD gets taken off the keg after each session, easy enough to keep it at the desired level

Chaps,

With the low carbonation levels does the beer lack head.

I'm about to do one of these in a couple of weeks.

Rook

Nup, it shouldn't effect the head really... Better to have low head and carb than a fluffy head and too much gas. These beers are delicate in a funny sort of way.

At a pinch there's the "pocket beer engine" suck some beer up with a syringe and shoot it back into the glass. Looks like the poor man's Guinness and gives a nice creamy head.

You shouldn't have too many problems finding a syringe being an ex-pacco boy. Just make sure it's clean. :p

Edit: Too cold is nearly as bad as too carbed.

Warren -

Have spent the last week toying with a dark mild in beersmith for the case swap.

Started off looking like Warrens 'just a trickle' dark mild, then i changed it 17+ times and i think its back where i started more or less :lol:

I'm pretty sure i drank a few of these in Durham, the darker hand pumped ales were around the 3-3.5% abv mark. Very easy to drink!

Brewing this on the weekend, i wonder how many more times i can change it between now and then...... :rolleyes:

26L, OG 1.039, IBU 23, EBC 38
2.75 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC) Grain 59.14 %
1.25 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 26.88 %
0.20 kg Amber Malt (Joe White) (45.3 EBC) Grain 4.30 %
0.20 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (49.3 EBC) Grain 4.30 %
0.20 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 4.30 %
0.05 kg Black (Patent) Malt (985.0 EBC) Grain 1.08 %
40.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 19.0 IBU
15.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (20 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
15.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (20 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
15.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs Ringwood Ale (Wyeast Labs #1187) [Starter 2000 ml] Yeast-Ale

Will mash at 68 and am tempted to add some gypsum, chalk and bicarb.......

Dont have any english crystal for this. At one point it had carafa, and other times roast barley and have been slowly reducing the late hopping.......

Any comments/suggestions from the dark mild fans? Do i need to simplify this further - 6 malts will be a PB for me. I think it still resembles your beer warren :D

Cheers
DrSmurto

Any comments/suggestions from the dark mild fans? Do i need to simplify this further - 6 malts will be a PB for me. I think it still resembles your beer warren :D

Cheers
DrSmurto

Hey Dr. Smurto. Looks great!! You could probably get away with losing the black patent and just keeping the choc. Probably better to use a darker crystal if you can get it. If not it's fine. :)

Warren -

How long do you keep this before drinking? Case swap isnt until 5th of July. I guess i could drink it all fresh and brew another one! :chug:

I'd be getting stuck into it pretty early! Added plus is they usually ferment out pretty quick being low OG, so plenty of time to brew another.

Looks like a piece of piss compared to me brewing a 7% Biere de Garde for a family function in 4 weeks time! :lol:

I'd be getting stuck into it pretty early! Added plus is they usually ferment out pretty quick being low OG, so plenty of time to brew another.

Looks like a piece of piss compared to me brewing a 7% Biere de Garde for a family function in 4 weeks time! :lol:
mine fermented out in about 2 days and the yeast dropped clear before bottling.
The mild was pitched onto yeast cakes of a 1.044 O.G. porter, which was also delicious. It was also a batch split across W1028 and W1187 yeasts. Drinking well within days.

You may find that your stronger ales will not be mature in time, as I found with my recent blonde ale (@7.5% ABV) at the HAG comp.

mine fermented out in about 2 days and the yeast dropped clear before bottling.
The mild was pitched onto yeast cakes of a 1.044 O.G. porter, which was also delicious. It was also a batch split across W1028 and W1187 yeasts. Drinking well within days.

You may find that your stronger ales will not be mature in time, as I found with my recent blonde ale (@7.5% ABV) at the HAG comp.

Hey Les good to hear you're using the Ringwood... What do you think of it?

Warren -

Hey Les good to hear you're using the Ringwood... What do you think of it?

Warren -
I find the yeast to clump well and stay clumped. The beer is malty and fruity, with more than a hint of diacetyl to accent the crystal malt.
Nowhere near as dry as the London Ale yeast, but still achieved 75% apparent attenuation.

I've consumed a litre of the Mild ale tonight and I'm on to the last stubbie that was chilled. (Reminder to self to put more in fridge b4 bed).

I'd use it again :D :D :D
A 3-smile rating

how does this look guys. im still not sure on the super pride might change it for 11g of goldings
ag mild

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 24.00 l Wort Volume After Boil: 21.00 l
Volume Transferred: 21.00 l Water Added To Fermenter: 0.00 l
Volume At Pitching: 21.00 l Volume Of Finished Beer: 20.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.027 SG Expected OG: 1.031 SG
Expected FG: 1.009 SG Apparent Attenuation: 70.4 %
Expected ABV: 2.9 % Expected ABW: 2.3 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 12.6 IBU Expected Color (using Morey): 17.7 SRM
BU:GU ratio: 0.41 Approx Color:
Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 18 degC
Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
Australian Traditional Ale Malt 2.200 kg 71.0 % 3.0 In Mash/Steeped
German Carahell 0.300 kg 9.7 % 1.2 In Mash/Steeped
UK Pale Chocolate Malt 0.300 kg 9.7 % 23.8 In Mash/Steeped
Australian Crystal 140 0.300 kg 9.7 % 8.8 In Mash/Steeped
Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
super pride 15.1 % 4 g 9.7 Loose Pellet Hops 60 Min From End
UK Fuggle 4.5 % 8 g 2.9 Loose Pellet Hops 15 Min From End
UK Fuggle 4.5 % 12 g 0.0 Loose Pellet Hops Dry-Hopped
Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When
Whirlfloc Tablet 1 In Boil
Yeast
White Labs WLP005-British Ale

I am trying to develop a malt extract/partial recipe for Coopers Mild. It seems to more of a light pale ale than a typical english mild.

Was thinking....

1.5kg pale ME
1kg wheat ME
500g JW crystal
50-100g? roast barley
30g fuggles or EKG

I am using roast barley since I have some here but a small amount of choc (say 30-50g) would be nice too. Am trying to keep the colour on the paler side if possible.

Does anyone have any grain recipes for Coopers Mild that I could adapt?

Cheers and Beers

Yeah, coopers 'mild' isn't a mild at all, nothing like it. Its a mid strength...but that does not a mild make. ;)

Can't help too much with the recipe, other than hops...coopers state that they use a combination of POR and saaz. (why, for the love of god? Why? :huh: )

From their website here
This ale is the product of brewing with a selection of barley and wheat malt, and with no added sugar. This traditional brewing approach provides the smooth malt character which is balanced by a triple hopping of the brew with Pride of Ringwood and Saaz hops. The brew has fermented similarly to its stablemates Pale and Sparkling Ale, with the customary secondary fermentation in the bottle and can. Alc/Vol 3.5%

:icon_offtopic: Are we to understand from the reference to 'no sugar' that Sparkling Ale and Pale Ale have sugar in the recipe? I wonder how much as I'm going to trial some Sparkling 'clones' soon as it's the big club comp later in the year and I want to win that trip to New York :p

:icon_offtopic: Are we to understand from the reference to 'no sugar' that Sparkling Ale and Pale Ale have sugar in the recipe? I wonder how much as I'm going to trial some Sparkling 'clones' soon as it's the big club comp later in the year and I want to win that trip to New York :p

there is no sugar used in CPA....this has been confirmed by Frank at the coopers brewery. There is a copy of an email to Braufrau in one of the (many) coopers threads.

Edit: link.

Suggest that you get the March BYO magazine if you want to clone sparkling ale - there's a story about it, and a recipe - no sugar! The article states that sugar may be used to adjust the gravity, but is not an ingredient as such.

When I was a lad I lived in England, when I was old enough to drink there were very few examples ofthe 'English Dark Mild' on the market they were all like low alchohol 'Ordinary beers' .as the Darker milds were loosing popularity as people drifted to wards drinking more Lagers .

I recent made the Jamil Zainasheff Dark Mild 3.2% and really was a fine example of what I remember to be a Dark English Mild.I used the West Yorkshire ale yeast , the one bit of advise Jamil gave ,which is really worth taking note of is you really dont want these beers to really attenuate too low ,

Quote Jamil "you want to brew this beer leaving enough dextrins and other residual sugars to give it plenty of mouthfeel" .

You have to realize that commercial example of English Dark mild grain bills were simple with minimal hops a cheap beer .

When I returned to the UK a couple of years ago CAMRA ( the Campaign for Real Ale ) had a promotion to get Breweries to revive this type of style anfd I madea point of trying a fair few , some were quite insipid versions which lacked body but there were a few good examples .

Jamils recipe reallly hits the mark but remember dont let it finish too low .

Pumpy :)

Back