Style Of The Week 1/8/07 - Mild

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sessionable, hopefully equally flavourful drop on hand

You'll definately get that!

I really like Ringwood in a mild. I've used Whitbred before and I'm not a real fan. Apparently that is the liquid equivalent of S-04 so take that as you will.

Cheers

I use whitbread in stouts and porters and like it but happy to wait till I can get 1187 which was my initial plan. Just have two packs of 1099 in the fridge and not sure when I'll next make a porter.

I'll probably wait - the joy of cubing.

I love pretty much all uk strains so im biased when I say it'd work fine!. Im using 1098 at thr moment, nice esters, mmmm

I am big fan of 1187 in a mild, but recently I did a side by side with 1469 send the latter has me weak at the knees for esters and mouthfeel.

Love 1469 but haven't used 1187 since I can't remember when so I'll go for that.

Didn't get to taste the above, as i got a brewhouse infection. Long story short its gone now. Im going to try a "sarah hughes ruby mild" inspired mild. The mild book i have list's this 6%er as having 25% crystal!!. Im not that game, and im adding a touch of roast barley to stop it being too sweet in the finish.

82.4% MO
11.8% Simpsons heritage
5% Spec b
.8% RB

Galena 60
Willamette 1

37 IBU
5.9% based on a 1.014 FG. Probably use 1968.
[/q

I am very familiar with Sarah Hughes mild......actually knew Sarah, but was a good mate to her nephew John who is the landlord of the Beacon Hotel near Sedgley in Staffordshire.
I was born very near to the Beacon Hotel and drank there on too many occasions to remember.
The Beacon is a Mecca for the CAMRA members and as you can imagine this is not a session beer.
To do true provenance to this beer I think you should stick with the recipe as defined by Graham Wheeler,
Pale Malt and Crystal, Fuggles and Golding hops, yeast SO5.....keep it simple, I can't imagine Alf Hughes the brewer ever being a rocket scientist !

I'm drinking a mild now made with I think 30% crystal if you count golden naked oats. It is really good. I had an amber which used 20% JW crystal and while on the chewy side it was still very drinkable. You just need a clean fast ferment to ensure it's only complex sugars left.

A while ago, i did a mild with only a tiny amount of spec B, and small amounts of black and choc. From memory ( and my notes! ) both batches, one with US05, and one with 1098 were bloody nice. Anyway, i was looking through my brew gear this arvo and i found a bottle. Hmmm. I chilled it and drank it. Bloody hell it was very nice. I usually keg my milds, as i kind of assumed lower gravity beers wouldn't go too well in the bottle. Glad i found it. I normally use more crystal, but this was kind of an experiment.

Ashburne mild

94.1% Ashburne mild.
2.7% Pale choc
1.9% Black patent
1.3% Spec B

Willamette 60
EKG 15

22 IBU

Oh and the colour was a gorgeous ruby. The bottle was the batch done with US05. I can tell because there aren't the full on esters i got with the 1098 batch ( which were quite nice if i do say so myself! ).

Love 1469 but haven't used 1187 since I can't remember when so I'll go for that.

Ended up going with the 1099.

That grist works very well at least for me (was met favourably by brewclub mild fans recently too).

I've now got some 1469 and some 1187 so I'm going to crank out a couple more with the same grist and hops but different yeast (then do a couple of ESBs with some of the slurry).

Following that, I'm going to sub out the base maris with some Mild malt for comparison. I've only done one but great style as far as I'm concerned. Very flavoursome, very sessionable.

Ended up going with the 1099.

That grist works very well at least for me (was met favourably by brewclub mild fans recently too).

I've now got some 1469 and some 1187 so I'm going to crank out a couple more with the same grist and hops but different yeast (then do a couple of ESBs with some of the slurry).

Following that, I'm going to sub out the base maris with some Mild malt for comparison. I've only done one but great style as far as I'm concerned. Very flavoursome, very sessionable.
I did the smoked choc porter from the DB and used 1056 in one fermentor and the other with Ringwood. As far as I can tell the ringwood puts the 1056 to shame. Really brings out the malt profile and I get more of the smoked malt coming through as well. Definitely a yeast ill be using again.

My latest was fermented with wlp023 Burton ale. The esters from this yeast are sensational. Easy to top crop too. I think this will be my house yeast from now on. I've never had a house UK yeast, they are all bloody good so i'd use one for a bit, then get a different one, but i think this is a cracker.

Looking at doing a pale version of the dark mild recipe soon. Basically just dropping out the choc and RB and leaving everything else as is or maybe increasing the biscuit and aromatic very slightly.

1469 yeast.

I have become a huge fan of this style (well my version of it anyway)

manticle said:
Looking at doing a pale version of the dark mild recipe soon. Basically just dropping out the choc and RB and leaving everything else as is or maybe increasing the biscuit and aromatic very slightly.

1469 yeast.

So what are your plans for this recipe Manticle - I was just sitting here thinking the same thing. Drop the choc and Spec roast (which is what I use in place of RB) and minight wheat.
Really interested in what this will be like.
Cheers
LagerBomb

manticle said:

1469 yeast.

Standard ordinary bitter?

bradsbrew said:
Standard ordinary bitter?

Pretty close - as close as a dark mild is to a Southern UK brown.

The style guides are for beer nerds and comps and I doubt there's any heed paid to them when people drink cask ales in the UK.

Historically there have been pale milds and dark milds, high abv milds and low abv milds. If my dark recipe can be considered a mild, then I guess a pale version of it could also.

I'm just reading " brew your own real ale at home" by graham wheeler, and basically according to him a pale mild is like you say manticle, a mild without the roast malts. IBU's are much lower than an ordinary bitter, so it won't be the same as an ordinary bitter.

I used to brew mostly bitters until I discovered mild, now I almost never brew bitters. Such a wide style, and hard to make a bad one.

Let us know how it goes manticle

P.S the first mild recipe he lists has 26% crystal hahaha.

'tis the season for brewing milds it would seem...I'm putting this down tomorrow:

2kg light DME
100g wheat DME (subbed for torrified wheat in the AG recipe I've converted to extract)
220g medium crystal
90g chocolate malt
20g black patent malt (supposed to be 110g chocolate, but I've only got 90g on hand so thought of subbing this in to make it up)
19g challenger @ 60
11g fuggles @ 60
11g goldings (flowers) @ 10
WY1099

Grain will be steeped in 4L water for 30mins at 68C and rinsed in 2.5L water @ 75C
Doing a 10L boil and will top to 23L in fermenter.

OG 1.038
FG (predict) 1.010
IBU 23.2
EBC 32.2

Keen for thoughts, particularly on yeast selection and whether I should just go with 90g chocolate or add 20g black patent?

Cheers,

AJ

Latest posts

Back