Style Of The Week 1/8/07 - Mild

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EKG gets my vote but I've never been a fan of the 'it's bittering so it doesn't matter' approach. Right hop for the right beer.

@lukiferj - brewed it, fermented it, drank it, brewed it again. Worked really well.

I was thinking that maybe cause its spicy and herbal it could work like an English variety if it were malt driven?
I made an english bitter and used a bunch of EKG at a few stages, its great. Just wanted to see if trying it might work or if anyone had done so.
Im prob gonna make a pale mild this time round.

Kegs are empty and want to try a mild, never brewed it before but a style Ive been meaning to try.

Some Kinda Mild (Double Batch)
Pale 65%
Munich I 20%
Amber 7%
Crystal (215ebc) 7%
Chocolate 1%

Time 69/72/78
Temp 40/10/Raise bag

FWH Williamette to 15IBU
20min Williamette to 7IBU
Wy 1318 for one cube Coopers for the other.

OG 1.038
FG 1.010
Alc % 3.5
IBU 22
EBC 24-25

Also have Crystal (120ebc), Vienna and Wheat to sub in if needed (only english hop I have is Northdown too). Ive only got Joe White Malts on hand so any feedback/criteques appreciated.

Just a quick question about the recipe below that I'm making tomorrow.

I'm using Wyeast London ESB Ale 1968 and it is a a low attenuating yeast, I have fairly sweet malts in the grist and I'm a bit stuck on what temp the mash should be so it doesn't come out too sweet?

I am thinking of 67 or 68c but wouldn't mind 65 or 66c, I don't want to get under 1.012. I'm aiming for a 375ml stubbie to come out as 1 standard drink so it's easy for me to measure for driving when I'm off my P's.

Cheers for any input.

33 - I'm Off My P's Mild
Mild

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 29.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.350
Total Hops (g): 50.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.039 (°P): 9.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 3.58 %
Colour (SRM): 17.0 (EBC): 33.5
Bitterness (IBU): 24.2 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.000 kg Ashburn Mild (56.07%)
1.500 kg Maris Otter Malt (28.04%)
0.430 kg Victory (8.04%)
0.210 kg Chocolate (3.93%)
0.210 kg Special Roast (3.93%)

Hop Bill
----------------
50.0 g Willamette Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.7 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
1.0 g Irish Moss @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Fermented at 20°C with Wyeast 1968 - London ESB Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I would drop the roast down a touch. I normally use around 1% roasted barley. Too much and it overpowers the beer. I mash at 69 for 30 mins, 72 for 10 and mash out at 78. Works really well to get a low abv beer with plenty of body.

Otherwise looks like it will make a tasty brew.

Full bodied does not equal sweet. I'd drop the roast as suggested and mash no lower than 68 and for 30-40 mins max.
1968 is a low attenuator but it will achieve a certain percentage - present it with a lower gravity beer, it should still achieve that percentage

Thanks for the feedback.It may be hard to knock back the special roast because it was ground and bagged today.

I may be wrong, but the special roast I have used isn't roast barley (at least not the roast barley I'm thinking of), it's Briess special roast which is a only 98.5 ebc as opposed to RB being around 450 ebc . The evaluation I have read of it says its full on but not in the way roast barley is.

I could be way off here.

And 69c mash it is

Mash edit

I brewed the recipe below as a starter beer for an oatmeal stout, really didn't care much how it turned out.

Weird thing was that it ended up being delishous, really easy drinking with a bit of roast character and the yeast really shining, definately not full bodied but the maltiness still came through. I will brew this beer again with no changes, I was that happy with it.

Mild (Mild)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.035 (°P): 8.8
Final Gravity (FG): 1.009 (°P): 2.3
Alcohol (ABV): 3.44 %
Colour (SRM): 17.4 (EBC): 34.3
Bitterness (IBU): 18.1 (Average)

72.46% Golden Promise Malt
8.7% Biscuit
8.7% Caramunich III
8.7% Crystal 90
1.45% Roasted Barley

1 g/L East Kent Golding (5.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.5 g/L East Kent Golding (5.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 68°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Wyeast 1469 - West Yorkshire Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

lukiferj said:
Sounds good. Let us know how it turns out.
Well it took me a little while to get around to fermenting this one, but I thought I'd come back to this thread to share, seeing it got me onto this style in the first place.

The mouthfeel of this beer took me a little bit of getting used to, it was thinner than my normal 4.5-5.5% beers. I ended up fermenting my beer 1.036 because I wanted the beer to be 1 standard drink per 375ml stubbie, I also took into account the priming sugar alc%. I used dme as the priming sugar to get a bit more residual sugar into the beer.

The beer has the classic English taste to it and it leaves a lovely coffee/chocolate flavour that stays around for longer than I would expect for a beer with a light/medium body, its like its thin when you initially taste it but once you have had a mouthful it gets fuller. The only other problem with it is that I made it so I can have a couple and drive, but it is a really good session beer that you can throw back very easily, so it makes drinking and driving just as hard as standard strength beer.

Thanks for all the help Lads.

I'm planning something the line of this for my first Dark Mild. Recipe is assuming 70% Eff. as it will be make second AG (First eff. was 80ish), so best to underestimate then overestimate.

OG: 1.041 IBU: 18
FG: 1.013 EBC: 36

Grain:
3.75kg Maris Otter
0.3kg Pale Crystal
0.2kg Dark Crystal
0.2kg Pale Choc
0.2kg Amber Malt or Biscuit
0.05kg Black Patent - for a bit of colour

Hops:
35g Fuggle at 60min

Yeast: London Ale III - have some washed yeast that I'll make into a stepped starter.

Mashed at 69C, Mash out at 76, and sparge at 76.

Beersmith calculates the FG to be 1.013 which I was hoping to be a bit higher due to the high mash temp, but 1.013 will give it a decent body. Also I was wondering whether Dark Milds are better bottle conditioned or kegged, as I may have my keg setup ready to go by the time this is ready to go.

Code:
I'm gonna brew this recipe tomorrow night, doing a no sparge run off to kettle, this is the first time I've used
the 1469 yeast, any tips on ferment temps, oxygen requirements ect? I'm looking to pitch at 18c and 
free rise to 20c, what sort of ester profile should I be expecting at these temps?

Cheers
Dan. 

Recipe: Old Man Mild

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 20.14 l
Post Boil Volume: 16.64 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 12.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 10.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.034 SG
Estimated Color: 30.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 16.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 50.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 66.7 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
4.00 g                Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins)        Water Agent   1        -             
1.00 g                Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent   2        -             
2.14 kg               Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett)  Grain         3        82.4 %        
0.20 kg               Crystal, Medium (Simpsons) (108.3 EBC)   Grain         4        7.7 %         
0.13 kg               Brown Malt (Simpsons) (295.5 EBC)        Grain         5        5.0 %         
0.10 kg               Crystal, Dark (Simpsons) (157.6 EBC)     Grain         6        3.8 %         
0.03 kg               Chocolate Malt (Simpsons) (847.1 EBC)    Grain         7        1.1 %         
20.00 g               Fuggles [4.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           8        16.0 IBUs     
0.25 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)        Fining        9        -             
0.63 tsp              Yeast Nutrient (Boil 3.0 days)           Other         10       -             
1.0 pkg               West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #1469)   Yeast         11       -

Pale mild im drinking ( trying not to gulp ! ) now.

87.5% mo
12.5% flaked barley

Tett @ 60

15 ibu

Irish ale yeast @ 18c

So I pitched this on some Irish ale slurry on the 8th. I'm now drinking it haha. Smooth, malty and lightly fruity. Going to do the same but with rolled oats. Bright white head, good lacing though not as excellent as I'd imagined. Lowly carbed though and very young also. 4 ******* days from pitching to drinking. Can't believe it, although the wee heavy I pitched yesterday is now at 1.015 FFS !

I did a 40 minute mash at 68 on this one. Even for milds I still normally do a low 60's rest. This finished at 1.012, so still not too high. I'll do it again I think.

Forgot to update, this is my mild on tap currently (Been tapped for just over a week now).

Size: 25L OG: 1.040 FG: 1.015
3.5kg Maris Otter
300g Biscuit
250g Pale Crystal
100g Dark Crystal
100g Choc Malt Pale
30g Black Malt
45g Fuggle at 60min
London III Ale Yeast

Really like the beer. Really balanced and very drinkable, and goes great with creamy cheese. Although since it's carbonated pretty low it can struggle to maintains it's head so next Mild I will add a bit of flaked barley to it. Also might switch the yeast to try out another English Strain.

Sounds like a good recipe. Should be able to get decent head formation and retention with some mash schedule adjustments. Low carb should be irrelevant.

manticle said:
Sounds like a good recipe. Should be able to get decent head formation and retention with some mash schedule adjustments. Low carb should be irrelevant.
Okay I'll check out some mash temp adjustment for the head retention as I just did a simple mash at 69 for 60 min for it.

Back