Stupid Mistake With My Mead

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesnt taste that good, I have orderd French Oak Chips medium toasted as they were recommended for wines, the American Oak was recommended for whisky and other spirits.

My O.G was 1.060 and F.G 1.000, I used 1.5kg honey to 4-4.5Ltr of Water, it does not have alot of taste at the moment.. will this improve with age, or addition of the oak chips..??? :( :(

Im not happy JAN. :angry:

Patience grasshopper... you must learn patience...

Mead does need aging. It will probably improve with age.

You should also adjust the acid... do you have an acid test kit? Honey is very low in acids so to get a balanced wine you should adjust with citric or tartaric. I usually adjust to a little under what is recommended for a white wine of the appropriate finishing gravity. Its amazing how much of a diference it makes.

Cheers
Dave

Patience grasshopper... you must learn patience...

Mead does need aging. It will probably improve with age.

You should also adjust the acid... do you have an acid test kit? Honey is very low in acids so to get a balanced wine you should adjust with citric or tartaric. I usually adjust to a little under what is recommended for a white wine of the appropriate finishing gravity. Its amazing how much of a diference it makes.

Cheers
Dave

I don't have an acid test kit for wine, I have an aquarium pH kit. I put lemon in the mead initially. I cant remember how much, I'll have to find my recipe.

I don't have an acid test kit for wine, I have an aquarium pH kit. I put lemon in the mead initially. I cant remember how much, I'll have to find my recipe.

PH and total acidity are two different things....

I'd definitely recommend an acid test kit. Lemon will add citric acid but how much is a little variable. A test kit will let you get it exactly right.

Cheers
Dave

Back