Stuck Stout Or Really Quick Ferment?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kapone

Reaction score
So I did my first stout a little over a week ago, nothing fancy, just a Coopers kit. Took 1 can of Coopers Stout, 1k of Brew Enhancer #2 and topped the fermenter up to 23L, with the bog standard Coopers yeast getting pitched at ~25C.

It absolutely took off like a rocket at first, but after about 3 or so days, airlock activity dropped down to zilch, and a few days later the krausen had receded back to nothing. At this stage the brew had been in the garage wrapped up in blankets having a temp of between 15 and 20C

Thinking I had a stuck brew, I brought it inside and found a spot where I could keep the temps in the low 20's. I also gave the fermenter a bit of a swirl around to get things moving.

But they didn't. So a couple of days ago I pitched a second pack of the standard Coopers yeast, stirred her up, and hoped for the best. Nothing happened.

So today I've done what I should've done before I even pitched, and took a hydrometer reading (couldn't find my hydrometer on brew day, and was in a rush to get it all done and put away). One and a bit weeks after brew day, I have a reading of 1.11, not as low as I was expecting.

Now it looks and tastes as I would expect, and AFAIK there's nothing to indicate an infection (there's a bit of gunk on the sides of the fermenter where the krausen receded, but nothing funny looking in the brew itself). But I'm concerned about the FG. Has it perhaps been affected by the second pack of yeast that may have had nothing to feast on? Or am I worrying about nothing?

From what I've read, if I've had an infection it should be pretty obvious, and the second pitching had perfect conditions and no reason stall.

Any thoughts?

Also, this brew will be kegged (minus half a dozen Grolsch bottles worth). Any tips on force carbing a stout?

Thanks guys!

1011 sounds absolutely fine.

You probably didn't need to pitch the second yeast - just use the hydrometer, blankets, cuddles and patience. Your temp range was pretty goo.d 18 -22 for ales is optimum so much better than 27. Brew enhancer will not ferment out all the way so you get a slightly creamier, sweeter brew than using straight sugar (good for stouts).

Hydrometer readings are your friend and what's a couple of points between friends? (I'm guessing you were expecting 1008 or something similar?)

No tips on kegging from me - I'm a bottler.

Hi Kapone, welcome to the site.

Regarding the hydro reading, I assume you mean 1.011? It sounds fine to me for what ingredients you used.
I'd say give it a full 2 weeks, just to make sure, and check your reading then. It'll probably be around the same (if not a point or two lower).

You say it looks and tastes fine, so it's reasonably safe to say you've got no infection.

I can't offer any help on kegging side though.

Great weather for a stout!
Cheers
Pete

Hi Kapone, welcome to the site.

Regarding the hydro reading, I assume you mean 1.011? It sounds fine to me for what ingredients you used.
I'd say give it a full 2 weeks, just to make sure, and check your reading then. It'll probably be around the same (if not a point or two lower).

You say it looks and tastes fine, so it's reasonably safe to say you've got no infection.

I can't offer any help on kegging side though.

Great weather for a stout!
Cheers
Pete

Yes, 1.011 was what I meant, thanks for catching that!

I'm a bit keen to get something on tap ASAP as I've got mates around tonight. So I've transferred to a keg and a few bottles.

Now to work out how to force carb this sucker. I've seen many techniques and tried a couple myself, but not sure how I should handle a stout. Especially given that I'm not going to be using nitrogen. Carbonating has been my downfall on a few beers so far, so I don't want to make the same mistakes again.

Yes, 1.011 was what I meant, thanks for catching that!

I'm a bit keen to get something on tap ASAP as I've got mates around tonight. So I've transferred to a keg and a few bottles.

Now to work out how to force carb this sucker. I've seen many techniques and tried a couple myself, but not sure how I should handle a stout. Especially given that I'm not going to be using nitrogen. Carbonating has been my downfall on a few beers so far, so I don't want to make the same mistakes again.

I just thought about it, and realised I can't have anything on tap tonight anyway, I've got to get my temps right down before I can even think about carbonating!

Latest posts

Back