Stuck Fermenter Or High Fg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alamout

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've got an amber ale that's been in the fermenter for about 2 1/2 weeks now,
the specific gravity seems to have stopped at about 1.015 (started at 1.042)
it's a pretty malty brew (can of morgans amber ale, kilo of DME and 250g of corn syrup extract)

do you think that's too high for a final gravity?

I've used nottingham yeast and been fermenting quite low in it's working range (about 14 degrees) and I think it's dropped below 14 a few times. I've had it sitting at about 16 degrees now for 2-3 days and it hasn't dropped any further.

I've checked my hydrometer reading with water and it's sitting dead on 1.000 so i don't think it's inaccurate, I'm not the most skilled reader of it but it's definiately around the 1.014-1016 range?

Im not too fussed if it's not going lower, it's tasting great but i just don't want exploding bottles.

let me know what you think,
thanks,
Al.

1.015 sounds about right to me, for an all malt brew.

Enter all your info into a brewing calculator like Brewcraft have on their website. It will give you an estimated FG, I think 1.015 is about right.

You could have done without the corn syrup (maltodextrine) with all that malt in there. Corn syrup is best used to compensate for thin body when you use lots of dextrose or sucrose.

Hope it doesn't come out too slimey for you.

1.015 sounds about right to me, for an all malt brew.

For an all malt brew, nah. For an all-malt-extract brew with maltodex added, yeah.

Thought I'd hi-jack this existing thread. The colder weather we've been getting here has caught me out with two ales fermenting in the laundry and a pils hogging the fermenting fridge.
Firstly a stout pitched with Windsor dry yeast (OG 1055) has gotten down to 1022 over 12 days @ around 14-15 C. No sign of any activity on the surface but there is some activity in the airlock so I'm inclined to leave it for a day or so longer since the predicted SG was 1020.
The other is a porter pitched with good ol' Nottingham (OG 1054) that seems to have stuck at 1025 in 10 days @ around 14-15 C. I am going to apply a heat belt to it and get it up to 17-18 and stir the yeast up.
I'm not overly concerned with either of them , but has anyone experienced the lenght of time these yeast will take to ferment out at this temp.

edit: englrish

I think your fermenter is definitely stuck, probably put it onto a malty spot on the floor....or summat

Back