Stuck Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losp

Reaction score
Hi all.
i have an oktoberfest type lager that had an SG of around 1078. a little higher than i expected but thought the yeast could still handle it, so i went ahead.
i put the yeast in 2-3l starter with 300gm pilsen ldme
fermentation has been stuck at around 1060 since friday. any suggestions? anyone else had a similar experience with this yeast.
i just gave it a shake and will probably check on it in 2 days to see if it has budged.
it sits in my brew fridge with the temp mate set at 12 since pitching day.

When you say stuck since Friday do you mean for 3 days. I would be happy with a drop of 1078 to 1060 over 3 days. If you have signs of fermentation e.g krausen, then I would leave it be and check it in 2 weeks.

sorry. i pitched it last wed. so it did drop that much in 3 days. but the 3 days since then, nothing.
there were some signs of fermentation, around the wall of the fermenter, so i dont know when it was from. anyway i have shaken it up already, will check it later. maybe a week?

Don't shake too hard, or therell be a good chance you could oxidise your brew.

A gentle swirl will be all it needs, but as others have said, let it go for a bit longer and give the yeast a chance to continue doing what they do best

Sponge

There are a few things you could do-

1 Wait

2 Draw off a small amount (2 litres), warm that up a few degrees and see if that ferments.

3 Warm up the whole thing.

4 Draw off a small amount and pitch a yeast to that.

5 Repitch another yeast to the whole thing.

6 Re-aerate (not recommended).

7 Do the second option and if that starts fermenting, add it back in to the main beer.

There are more but this is what comes to mind.

Using some of these will tell you what may be wrong, but you should probably give it more time.

sorry. i pitched it last wed. so it did drop that much in 3 days. but the 3 days since then, nothing.
there were some signs of fermentation, around the wall of the fermenter, so i dont know when it was from. anyway i have shaken it up already, will check it later. maybe a week?

Ok i see. I would wait and see what happens. But next time I would be making a bigger starter. Lagers like a big healthy starter espescially when there sg is 1078. Anyway i hope it works out for you. I have used 2206 a few times and it packs a punch in the malt department.

Back