Stuck Ferment?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo1234

Reaction score
Gents,

I put down the following recipe 11 days ago and the OG was 1.042 and I just went to check it today assuming I could bottle this weekend at the FG is only down at 1.02 (checked twice and same reading).

Can of Morgan's Canadian Light
LHBS "Ultra Brew Pack" which consists of 250g Dextrose, 250g Corn Syrup Powder and 500g Light Malt
250G Dextrose (extra)
20g Cascade Hop Pellets Hop Tea
"Loyds Larger Booster, 100g... (I don't have a clue what is in it but I think its just an extra additive that makes the LHBS some extra cash

I used the Kit yeast which is an Ale yeast and I have had it in my fermenter fridge at 20c.

This is only my second brew so not sure where to go from here. I was expecting it to reach 1.01 and added finings this morning after checking the FG.

Has my ferment stuck or have I gone wrong elsewhere? The brew smells fine so no infection.

Cheers guys.

Camo

Do you think it's stuck because you've tested over several days and it's not moved or because you assumed it would now be finished?

Yeast don't necessarily work to a schedule (or at least not one we would like them to work to). It may just be slow.

Adding finings will cause yeast to drop out of suspension - something best not done until you know you have hit FG.

For stuck ferment rousing tips and tricks, read this article: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...showarticle=130

Do you think it's stuck because you've tested over several days and it's not moved or because you assumed it would now be finished?

Yeast don't necessarily work to a schedule (or at least not one we would like them to work to). It may just be slow.

Adding finings will cause yeast to drop out of suspension - something best not done until you know you have hit FG.

For stuck ferment rousing tips and tricks, read this article: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...showarticle=130

Yeah Stuck because I expected it to be lower... I have only tested today so will test tomorrow to see if it has stopped or just slow..... I suppose I had "planned" on bottling this weekend but will wait and see.

One of the things that AHB has taught me is that the instructions on kits etc are absolutely useless, if not incorrect! The Finings packet says to add it near the end of ferment but not after the end!

I tried to convince the missues during the week that I needed a second ferment fridge because I have too many ideas and recipes planned! Needless to say that I did not gain the appropriate approval to purchase said second fridge!

Latest posts

Back