Struggling with efficiency

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1149913

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm struggling with my efficiency on a new system and need some advice. I've just built myself a 3 keg HERMS system but can only seem to get 72% efficiency.

My first port of call was poor sparge and leaving behind wort. So i tried draining the majority of the mash tun before starting the sparge. Still only 72%

It appears like i've only got a 1-2C difference between HERMs temp and wort leaving the mash tun. Mashing at 67.5.

Let me know what details you guys need and any advice much appreciated

Thanks

View attachment to george!.pdf

20140524_132949.jpg

Try splitting your sparge amount in two and doing two sparges.

Double check that you're using correct volumes/litres in your calculations (new system and all that).

Fly sparge end runnings were today 1.013. Maybe i should play around with the flow rate. Might be recirc to fast causing cavities

If you're consistently getting 72% I personally wouldn't change a thing, 72% is good enough and if you can rely on that number not to change you can design recipes knowing exactly what you're going to get.

My total efficiency is 75 % 72 it's fine. How long do you mash for? Is your sparge slow? I follow the electric brewery style of brew day

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

False bottom or manifold of some kind?
Oh and do you do a 72 rest or mashout?

Jacob Thomas said:
Fly sparge end runnings were today 1.013. Maybe i should play around with the flow rate. Might be recirc to fast causing cavities
I think if your last runnings are 1.013 you are getting a quality wort to the kettle, you could try and take it down to 1.010 to gain a few more points of gravity but then you start to risk pH getting too high > and extracting unwanted grain husk materials. Its up to you.
Nev

Barch sparge with boiling water, let sit for 10min then drain.

The hoter water will help rinse more sugar out of the grain.

I'd be pretty happy if i was getting a consistent 72% every brew day. Are you milling your own grain?

Online Brewing Supplies said:
I think if your last runnings are 1.013 you are getting a quality wort to the kettle, you could try and take it down to 1.010 to gain a few more points of gravity but then you start to risk pH getting too low and extracting unwanted grain husk materials. Its up to you.
Nev
Just want to check that I haven't had this around the wrong way all this time. Do you mean pH too high? I thought it was high pH during sparging that is linked to tannin extraction.

verysupple said:
Just want to check that I haven't had this around the wrong way all this time. Do you mean pH too high? I thought it was high pH during sparging that is linked to tannin extraction.
Sorry, yes I meant to high, ie more alkaline.
Nev

Jacob Thomas said:
Hey guys, i'm struggling with my efficiency on a new system and need some advice. I've just built myself a 3 keg HERMS system but can only seem to get 72% efficiency.
Couple of questions:
1: Why do think 72% efficiency is bad?
2: Are you happy with the beer you make?
3: Why do you want higher efficiency?

I've gotten on my efficiency soap box in enough threads, so I won't do it here, but suffice to say there is nothing wrong with 72% and I suspect that many brewers who state they hit 85-90% efficiency are involved in some creative accounting.

JD

JDW81 said:
Couple of questions:
1: Why do think 72% efficiency is bad?
2: Are you happy with the beer you make?
3: Why do you want higher efficiency?

I've gotten on my efficiency soap box in enough threads, so I won't do it here, but suffice to say there is nothing wrong with 72% and I suspect that many brewers who state they hit 85-90% efficiency are involved in some creative accounting.

JD

Nailed it.

I hit between 72% and 74% efficiency (going for gravities above 15 brix brings efficiency down a touch) and am ridiculously happy that I've managed to get consistent numbers.

Yep. You are flat out getting 80%. Those that do have VERY well setup systems and loads of practice. And even then not all mashes give 80%.

Most of the time 78% seems to be the generall limit across the board. Getting that last 2% is not easy.

I would aim for 75% and work on consistant eff%

Donske said:
am ridiculously happy that I've managed to get consistent numbers.
This is the key point. Consistency is far more important than high efficiency.

I run at about 72% and hit all my numbers within 1-2 gravity points every time.

Are you talking mash efficiency or brewhouse efficiency? I get 82% mash efficiency on the braumeister 20L fairly consistency however if that was converted to brewhluse efficiency itd be much much lower. 70% at a guess.

Latest posts

Back