Strong Shelves In Fridge - What To Use ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samuel Adams

Reaction score
So I have purchased a fridge to use for temp controlled fermenting fridge.
It is big enough to hold 2 fermenters one on top on the other.
Now I'm not really going to trust the normal fridge shelf with 23L fermenter sitting on it.

Any suggestions what to use that will slide into the same slot so I don't have to modify it ?

a 3 or 4mm sheet of stainless steel cut to size of shelf would be best be expensive but last forever

I have a fridge that I do the same in

I used some jarrah floor boards I had off cutts lying around

Had to make the ends half the thickness to slott into the fridge shelf grooves

Will send a pic your way when at home next

med_gallery_7556_294_386670.jpg

med_gallery_7556_294_223706.jpg

Went with this idea, cost me about $35 all up, I think, was a little while ago now. Got the mesh for free, just paid for the sides and joiners.

I just put 2 shelfs together and jambed them into the one shelf slot. On my other fridge It can only hold 1 fermenter I just used some compressed fiber cement sheet and screwed timber supports under it just leaving about 8mm away from the edge so it can slide in the grooves, But after about a year the sides of the sheet has bent and will have to change it soon before a fermenter flys out the door when I open it

I got a sheet of ally checkerboard plate and cut it to the shelf size (scrap from local Metalland - or you can buy it in the big green shed). Then I got some Ally angle I had in the shed. Put the angle underneath the existing shelf, the checkerboard plate on top and screwed it together making a sandwich! I reckon I could stand on the thing. Will post picks when I find my camera.

Cheers
Steve

I've used thick marine ply in my fidge - still going strong after 3 years...

Cheers,
Andrew

I've used thick marine ply in my fidge - still going strong after 3 years...

Cheers,
Andrew

I used thick marine ply with steel brackets to slide on the shelf rails. Only problem is it doesn't let the cool air fall through to the bottom

AndrewSA, where did you go for the marine ply mate? Im in Adl also and looking for some. What thickness did you go? Im using 16mm mdf as a temporary measure til I get my marine ply.

AndrewSA, where did you go for the marine ply mate? Im in Adl also and looking for some. What thickness did you go? Im using 16mm mdf as a temporary measure til I get my marine ply.

I got it from the big green shed - the guy there advised against mdf. Its 12mm thick and although I called it marine ply before I think its sold as "external construction ply" or something like that. Basically it doesn't lose strength if it gets wet.

Went with this idea, cost me about $35 all up, I think, was a little while ago now. Got the mesh for free, just paid for the sides and joiners.

Barley Belly, where did you get the edges/joiners from?

i've got some old screen door mesh i reckon that will work a treat for me... my ply one is getting a little bendy....

btw... love your 'airlock' :D

6 or 8mm toughened glass? Probably not the cheapest option, but...

Barley Belly, where did you get the edges/joiners from?

i've got some old screen door mesh i reckon that will work a treat for me... my ply one is getting a little bendy....

btw... love your 'airlock' :D

From my local Aluminium wholesaler, their name escapes me at the moment.

At home now here is the photo of mi9ne

IMG_2956_1_1.JPG

I got it from the big green shed - the guy there advised against mdf. Its 12mm thick and although I called it marine ply before I think its sold as "external construction ply" or something like that. Basically it doesn't lose strength if it gets wet.

Ah no worries, Ill give them a buzz this arvo. I only used MDF as i needed a shelf asap (read : NOW) Its holding the 3 kegs fine atm, but when i had the fermenter inside the fridge, I did notice some swelling where liquid had sat for a few days. Marine ply it is :-D

Cheers

a little OT.
Barley Belly, what are those blue things on your taps??

I welded up some steel shelves.

Newer fridge - steel strut supports standard fridge shelf at the midpoint
DSCN4288.JPG

Older fridge - angles screwed to wall of fridge, steel shelf sits ontop
DSCN4291.JPG

Latest posts

Back