Strawberry extract or strawberry snaps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason.adlington

Reaction score
Gday,
I’m pretty new to home brewing and am trying my luck at making a PB&J porter, I’m reluctant to use strawberry jam as I’ve heard it’s hard to get the flavour to come through as the majority of it ferments out. I’ve decided to use strawberry schnapps or strawberry extract and would like some info on when best to put those in the brew? Primary, secondary, cold crash etc?
many helpadvice would be appreciated.
cheers
Jason.

Hey personally found that doing anything flavour addition wise before secondary the yeast tends to remove the flavour.

Also note any additional sugar will be consumed even in secondary. My advice woukd be to macerate some strawberries (frozen works best) in some vodka and use that to flavour in secondary. If your wanting to add sweetness thats a different discussion and can be done in many different ways

It's definitely possible to use fresh/frozen strawberries to get the best fresh strawberry flavor and not taste artificial.

Golden rule with most fruit that I have found is 2kg per 20L blended up and added into secondary.

If you're after the sweetness that carries across with the strawberries you could primary ferment and condition for a week or so on the yeast then transfer to secondary onto the fruit but add come potassium sorbate to try and stop the yeast fermenting the sugars in the strawberries.

Latest posts

Back