Stove-top Boil Sizes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza_devil

Reaction score
G'devenin Brewers,
What is the biggest boil you have ever managed on a single electric stove-top element?
I know all stoves are different, I have one of the standard coil electric element jobs, 3 small with 1 big one and have been doing 9 litre boils on the big one. I'm wondering what the thing is capable of and don't have a bigger vessel to try it out at the moment.

G'devenin Brewers,
What is the biggest boil you have ever managed on a single electric stove-top element?
I know all stoves are different, I have one of the standard coil electric element jobs, 3 small with 1 big one and have been doing 9 litre boils on the big one. I'm wondering what the thing is capable of and don't have a bigger vessel to try it out at the moment.

I have a standard ceramic electric one with 1 big, 1 medium and 2 tiny elements. I can run (if I remove the knobs on the stove after turning it on and fit my 2 x 19L big w pots. The funny thing last batch, I was getting better boil from the medium than the large.

I also did an experiment which boiling (well heating) for mashing using a butane camp cooker (and staple in asian households for hot pots) and compared it. I thought the stove was bad, the camp stove was worse with a 19L pot on it.

I'd love a 50L pot and a great big gas element thing for a gas bottle. I just picked up an 80L fermenter (and 290 odd bottles) from the paper, so something to do double batches with, would be great. Then again, so would a kegging system.

Goomba

G'devenin Brewers,

I can get 10 litres going in a 14 litre stock pot but gotta keep an eye on it. Had a few boilovers that are a pain in the ass.

My hotplate takes a fair while to get around 9 litres boiling but it keeps a nice rolling boil. I was thinking that between 15 and 20 might be the limit for it that's why I thought a 24 litre pot would probably suffice for it. Only 20 bucks more for a 32 litre though which is tempting, nice pot but I too dream of the professionally modified 50 litre job.

I realise it probably isn't very efficient (not to mention being gas), but with the 19L stockpot I'll often use two adjacent burners (front and back) to hurry the boil up, it just fits over the two. Swapping to just one big one after boil is reached is fine.

The wok burner on the gas stove took ~ 16 litres from 50C to 100 C in about 15-20 minutes at most. I'll not be repeating it indoors though. Too much floor/wall/bench mess.

I realise it probably isn't very efficient (not to mention being gas), but with the 19L stockpot I'll often use two adjacent burners (front and back) to hurry the boil up, it just fits over the two. Swapping to just one big one after boil is reached is fine.

This is how I do my full volume boils. I run 3 of 4 of the burners on my gas stove (2 medium and 1 wok burner - leave the small one off) and position my 50L pot over it as best as possible. Biggest boil volume so far was 31L.

My standard 2300W coil (the big one) on the stove boils 16L of 60C in about 20 minutes.

In that time I can generally get 2 schooners in, maybe 3 if I hurry - but then again, hurrying is a waste of time.

Latest posts

Back