Stout Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucas

Nanobrewer
Reaction score
im planning on putting down a basic stout in the not to distant future and was wondering which would be the better yeast for the job, re-cultured coopers yeast or SAFAle

the recipe i have in my head at the moment looks like this:
1.7kg tin of coopers stout
1 kg of dried dark malt
1.X kg of choc/caramal malt (depending what sort of sizes i can find next visit to the brew shop)
and possibly some Willamette hops (simply because they are sitting in the fridge anyway and i remember seeing them in a stout recipe once i think)

I've not previously used the SAFAle but i have done 3 brews using the coopers stuff, each of which has turned out pretty good. i was sort of leaning towards the SAF simply because i havent used it before, but thought i better check with you guys in case there's anything i ought to know (eg. coopers yeast is THE stout yeast)

lucas
ps. posted under the influence :p

either would be cool, most people would choose the safale over the cooper dry yeast but i personally like. Anyway it sounds like a good point in your brewing to move onto the safale and give it a try. No problems in using it in a stout over the coopers yeast whatso ever.

Boozed
Jayse

just to clarify, im asking about SAFale Vs. the yeast from a bottle of coopers pale ale, not the coopers dry yeast.

I've only done one brew with the dry coopers yeast and it was crap, but to be fair that was probably more an issue of temp control and using coopers "brewing sugar" instead of malt. i have plans to do a controlled "budget brew" some day soon, tin of the farmland draught, some dextrose and perhaps ill use the coopers dry yeast (since im building up quite a supply of it) and see how it turns out when its not brewed at 28-30 degrees.

on another (completely unrelated note), if autolysis is what happens when yeast eats dead yeast; and boiling yeast kills it, why do people consider boiled yeast "yeast nutrients"? isnt that just paving the way for autolysis?

lucas said:
just to clarify, im asking about SAFale Vs. the yeast from a bottle of coopers pale ale, not the coopers dry yeast.

I've only done one brew with the dry coopers yeast and it was crap, but to be fair that was probably more an issue of temp control and using coopers "brewing sugar" instead of malt. i have plans to do a controlled "budget brew" some day soon, tin of the farmland draught, some dextrose and perhaps ill use the coopers dry yeast (since im building up quite a supply of it) and see how it turns out when its not brewed at 28-30 degrees.

on another (completely unrelated note), if autolysis is what happens when yeast eats dead yeast; and boiling yeast kills it, why do people consider boiled yeast "yeast nutrients"? isnt that just paving the way for autolysis?
[post="119738"][/post]​

I've used Safale S-04 in the past on stouts with pretty good results - IMHO. I like the fast finish of this strain and the slightly fruity notes that this yeast gives. Well worth a try and is heaps better than the sachet of yeast nutrient that Coopers kindly provides with their kit concentrates... :p

Re your question on yeast autolysis and boiling yeast as nutrient, there are slightly different things happening to each of these batches of yeast which makes it worthwhile using the dry kit yeast in this manner. The hard part is trying to describe the differences without going into total beergeek mode! :ph34r:

//engage beergeek mode//
Yeast require a number of nutrients for growth, including vitamins, minerals, carbs, nitrogen and trace elements (including copper and zinc). A good source of nitrogen comes from the amino acids found in the wort. Yeast cells use the nitrogen to develop cell proteins and other compounds. There are roughly 20 amino acids and they are commonly found in the malt extract / wort that we use in beer brewing. All of the wort amino acids and the small peptides are referred to as Free Amino Nitrogen or FAN. The FAN level in your wort is a good indicator of potential yeast growth and therefore fermentation performance. Cheap malt extracts are often low in FAN. A typical all malt freshly mashed wort has around 150 to 220 mg of FAN per litre. So any decent yeast nutrient should contain FAN...
Now, yeast has FAN levels of around 2% by weight, so, if you want to increase the FAN levels in your wort, you could toss in some yeast in the boil (I normally add it with about 10 mins to go). Ok so it doesn't add all that much FAN but it does also add some zinc to the brew - which is an important yeast growth contributor - and whilst it's not a lot, it's better than tossing the sachet into the bin...There are other contributors that the yeast cells surrender, such as Vitamin B, but I think you get the point without boring you with too much more detail!
The boil does kill the yeast and it violently erupts the cells - as opposed to the cell breakdown via autolysis - so the boil assists by releasing nutrients into the wort from within the cells and even the cell walls themselves, which will help the fermentation yeast that's eventually pitched after the wort is chilled. Some brewers add modest quantities of bakers yeast to their boil to provide a relatively cheaper nutrient to brewing yeast...
An alternative to this rather murderous endeavour is to purchase some true yeast nutrient, typically food grade mono or di-ammonium phosphate which is a good nitrogen source.
A note of caution - don't just buy kilos of bakers yeast or yeast nutrient and upend it into the kettle - too much of this stuff will result in a horrid undrinkable and potentially dangerous beer.

Yeast autolysis (aka auto-self-lysis-splitting) , in very general terms, occurs when the existing yeast cells run out of sugars to consume in solution and the cells die through the action of their own enzymes which break down the cells structural molecules in order to find further nutrients - ie, it suicides out of starvation! It can occur if you left the yeast in the fermenter for an extended period of time, long after the fermentation had concluded. To avoid autolysis in the bottled product, it's wise to make the yeast cells dormant - by refrigeration, or, by pasteurising the beer and removing the yeast altogether from the brewed beer, or by racking the beer to reduce the cell count in suspension. Yeast autolysis does add significant levels of amino acids to the beer, as the walls rupture, but at this stage of the fermentation process, you wouldn't want to introduce amino acids (which tend to add to a fuller mouthfeel in the beer) via this process as the autolysing yeast adds substantial sulphur compounds to the beer and you'll get off flavours and a vegemite or meaty smell to the brew that may be impossible to remove.

So boiling dry yeast can potentially add yeast nutrients, whereas yeast autolysis occurs when the yeast cells run out of sugars to ferment and the cells self destruct.

Sorry about the long post (again!),
Cheers,
TL

I think that TL's computer just took a post-script dump! :blink:

Me, myself and I would go for the recultured coopers SA yeast. It's a nice greedy yeast that will ferment out quickly and leave a bit of character unlike S04 (yuck). :)

Warren -

Trough Lolly said:
Yeah...sorry abt that!! :ph34r:
[post="119914"][/post]​

if [ "`head -1 ${1} | grep '^%!PS'" = "" ] # if not a PostScript file then dump to printer then lpr -s -Php650c $1 else SIZE=`head -20 ${1} | grep BoundingBox | \ awk '{MAXX = 2642; MINX = 595 MAXY = 129600; MINY = 595 X=$2+$4; Y=$3+$5 if (X > MAXX) X=MAXX else if ( X < MINX ) X=MINX if (Y > MAXY) Y=MAXY else if ( Y < MINY ) Y=MINY print X+100,Y+100}'` sed "/EndComments/a\\ << /PageSize [ ${SIZE} ] /ImagingBBox null \ >> setpagedevice" ${1} \ > /image/postscript/tmpfile.eps lpr -s -r -Php650c /image/postscript/tmpfile.eps fi

:p

Warren -

I always feel much better after a good grep!
:eek:

It is interesting that the yeast autloysis flavours are much sought after in sparkling wines, yet are to be avoided in beer.

The premium bubblies spend several years 'on lees' so that the autolysis flavours are integrated into the wine. They add complexity to the wine. I associate them with bready, toasty or smelly socks elements that sit well with the wine's natural acids.

I guess our bottle carbonated beer will eventually pick up autolytic flavours if we leave them long enough? How long does this take?

RobW said:
[post="119922"][/post]​

Is the after-grep cigarette optional? :lol:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
RobW said:
[post="119922"][/post]​

Is the after-grep cigarette optional? :lol:

Warren -
[post="119929"][/post]​

It's a personal decision but you should always make sure you wash your hands

I've used both Coopers & the S-04 in stout & they're both fine.
I've also used 1056 in stout & found it to be too dry.
I am using 1084 on my next few stout runs.
J

RobW said:
It's a personal decision but you should always make sure you wash your hands
[post="119930"][/post]​

Whoops Rob... Think we've mixed up our greps and groots. :lol:

Warren -

I've had good results in stout with Coopers, Safale S-04 and Safale US-56, but by far my best stout used a repitched WLP004 slurry.

I imagine Wyeast 1968 would make a nice stout as well.

Wyeast 1084 and 1968 both make good stout, with 1084 being my first choice for a couple of years.
My next stout [next week :) ] will be made with Danstar Nottingham dry yeast for something different, it's such a good yeast. :super:

Trough Lolly said:
lucas said:

[post="119738"][/post]​

I've used Safale S-04 in the past on stouts with pretty good results - IMHO. I like the fast finish of this strain and the slightly fruity notes that this yeast gives. Well worth a try and is heaps better than the sachet of yeast nutrient that Coopers kindly provides with their kit concentrates... :p

Re your question on yeast autolysis and boiling yeast as nutrient, there are slightly different things happening to each of these batches of yeast which makes it worthwhile using the dry kit yeast in this manner. The hard part is trying to describe the differences without going into total beergeek mode! :ph34r:

//engage beergeek mode//
Yeast require a number of nutrients for growth, including vitamins, minerals, carbs, nitrogen and trace elements (including copper and zinc). A good source of nitrogen comes from the amino acids found in the wort. Yeast cells use the nitrogen to develop cell proteins and other compounds. There are roughly 20 amino acids and they are commonly found in the malt extract / wort that we use in beer brewing. All of the wort amino acids and the small peptides are referred to as Free Amino Nitrogen or FAN. The FAN level in your wort is a good indicator of potential yeast growth and therefore fermentation performance. Cheap malt extracts are often low in FAN. A typical all malt freshly mashed wort has around 150 to 220 mg of FAN per litre. So any decent yeast nutrient should contain FAN...
Now, yeast has FAN levels of around 2% by weight, so, if you want to increase the FAN levels in your wort, you could toss in some yeast in the boil (I normally add it with about 10 mins to go). Ok so it doesn't add all that much FAN but it does also add some zinc to the brew - which is an important yeast growth contributor - and whilst it's not a lot, it's better than tossing the sachet into the bin...There are other contributors that the yeast cells surrender, such as Vitamin B, but I think you get the point without boring you with too much more detail!
The boil does kill the yeast and it violently erupts the cells - as opposed to the cell breakdown via autolysis - so the boil assists by releasing nutrients into the wort from within the cells and even the cell walls themselves, which will help the fermentation yeast that's eventually pitched after the wort is chilled. Some brewers add modest quantities of bakers yeast to their boil to provide a relatively cheaper nutrient to brewing yeast...
An alternative to this rather murderous endeavour is to purchase some true yeast nutrient, typically food grade mono or di-ammonium phosphate which is a good nitrogen source.
A note of caution - don't just buy kilos of bakers yeast or yeast nutrient and upend it into the kettle - too much of this stuff will result in a horrid undrinkable and potentially dangerous beer.

Yeast autolysis (aka auto-self-lysis-splitting) , in very general terms, occurs when the existing yeast cells run out of sugars to consume in solution and the cells die through the action of their own enzymes which break down the cells structural molecules in order to find further nutrients - ie, it suicides out of starvation! It can occur if you left the yeast in the fermenter for an extended period of time, long after the fermentation had concluded. To avoid autolysis in the bottled product, it's wise to make the yeast cells dormant - by refrigeration, or, by pasteurising the beer and removing the yeast altogether from the brewed beer, or by racking the beer to reduce the cell count in suspension. Yeast autolysis does add significant levels of amino acids to the beer, as the walls rupture, but at this stage of the fermentation process, you wouldn't want to introduce amino acids (which tend to add to a fuller mouthfeel in the beer) via this process as the autolysing yeast adds substantial sulphur compounds to the beer and you'll get off flavours and a vegemite or meaty smell to the brew that may be impossible to remove.

So boiling dry yeast can potentially add yeast nutrients, whereas yeast autolysis occurs when the yeast cells run out of sugars to ferment and the cells self destruct.

Sorry about the long post (again!),
Cheers,
TL
[post="119902"][/post]​

Thanks Trough Lolly, very informative!

lucas said:
im planning on putting down a basic stout in the not to distant future and was wondering which would be the better yeast for the job, re-cultured coopers yeast or SAFAle

the recipe i have in my head at the moment looks like this:
1.7kg tin of coopers stout
1 kg of dried dark malt
1.X kg of choc/caramal malt (depending what sort of sizes i can find next visit to the brew shop)
and possibly some Willamette hops (simply because they are sitting in the fridge anyway and i remember seeing them in a stout recipe once i think)

I've not previously used the SAFAle but i have done 3 brews using the coopers stuff, each of which has turned out pretty good. i was sort of leaning towards the SAF simply because i havent used it before, but thought i better check with you guys in case there's anything i ought to know (eg. coopers yeast is THE stout yeast)

lucas
ps. posted under the influence :p
[post="119733"][/post]​

Go with the coopers reculture :excl:

Latest posts

Back