Stout idea?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alex.Tas said:
Thanks bud. I had read that thread a while ago when researching. I agree with Newtown clown's argument in that thread, that quick oats are chopped up rolled oats.
Good to know you have tried it and it worked okay for you. Looks like i'll be making stout soon with enough time for it to ripen for winter. Stout doesn't do it for me in summer.
Me either, but I have a dark ale in the fermenter at the moment which is amazing before it's even finished, I'm not going to be able to wait until it's cooler to drink it.

Used 500g of rolled oats that I roasted at 180 and threw them in my mash with the rest of my grains.

I read that too much oats can actually be a head killer. 250g seems to be the golden number so far as i can tell for a 23L batch. apparently the oils in the oats can cause issues with the head retention while less actually helps build it. Have you experienced this in the past when using 500g of oats?

Alex.Tas said:
I read that too much oats can actually be a head killer. 250g seems to be the golden number so far as i can tell for a 23L batch. apparently the oils in the oats can cause issues with the head retention while less actually helps build it. Have you experienced this in the past when using 500g of oats?
5-10% is the suggested range, I've seen some recipes with 20%!

This is what I've got on the go at the moment (approx 10% oats) - Today is day 8 planning to bottle this weekend. Not a stout, but still.
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/recipe/751-settlers-old-ale/

I have faith in bradsbrew's recipe, will report back in a few weeks when it's ready.

Back