Stout Extravaganza 2015

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yob said:
Sadly I miss out on this due to the appalling lack of speciality stout cat..

Actually.. You miss out..

On a serious note.. Can we add this for next year? I've got some barrel aged shit coming your way if you like..
I did raise this with the committee based on our brief talk the other week. The issue is it is already hard enough to get judges to cover the categories we have, without adding another. If you could attach three judges with your entry that would help.

I've just recently brewed a chocolate coffee stout.

Could I sneak this in as a sweet stout or would this come under speciality and therefore I'm in the same boat as Yob, floating around in the ocean with nothing but our specialty stout to keep us alive?

wont fly Troy.. we need (I feel) a whole other comp for specialty other than Vicbrew.. sadly, with all the bulk buys, I dont have time to organize it ;)

I do recall Geelong Craft Brewers were looking at a comp that would include the 5 most popular Vicbrew Categories, which would have included a specialty Cat. Not sure what happened in the end.

Sorry for OT but if you want to run a proper specialty cat or comp, you really need to stress to entrants the required details AND get judges who can assess the base beer and the specified spec ingredients AND assess how well they integrate.

Untested waters in my experience (except the year I won spec at vicbrew - those judges were spot on).

I hear that you all want a spec category in the stout competition.
It's been brought up countless times at club and committee level.
It's been brought up here countless times.
I keep asking about it at a committee level , as has blackntan.
The answer from our comp bloke is no, based on how hard it is to get judges on three categories .
When the new committee gets formed after our AGM , i'll ask again.

I said.. stuff it im throwing some specialties in to get some general comments back on the beers..out of style but.. YOLO

I will preempt the comments for you... "Out of style", "inappropriate for style" and "enter in specialty category next time".

So...we might gave cracked the ton , with entries...
This is why we don't have a specialty category.... :ph34r: :p :unsure:
I'll try and post the winners on Sunday Night...
Cheers
Ferg

Black n Tan said:
I do recall Geelong Craft Brewers were looking at a comp that would include the 5 most popular Vicbrew Categories, which would have included a specialty Cat. Not sure what happened in the end.
Correct. We will be including a specialty category in our competition. Our comp is to take place on September 5th at Southern Bay Brewery. Have attached a little pdf to give you a sneak peak. We have some great sponsors lined up so lots of prizes on offer. More info to come of course.

View attachment Top 5 Shootout.pdf

So....
Ian Scott
Brian juffs
Ferg McGregor
Porters
Paul Bowlen
Danial ogrady
Walter madebach
Stout
Sebastian stueger
Bernadette Hayman ;
John Strantzen
Strong stout

So....
Ian Scott
Brian juffs
Ferg McGregor
Porters
Paul Bowlen
Danial ogrady
Walter madebach
Stout
Sebastian stueger
Bernadette Hayman ;
John Strantzen
Strong stout

So....
Ian Scott
Brian juffs
Ferg McGregor
Porters
Paul Bowlen
Danial ogrady
Walter madebach
Stout
Sebastian stueger
Bernadette Hayman ;
John Strantzen
Strong stout

Well done to all place getters! When are the full results likely to be posted?

Yet another win for me..........in the raffle! :D

View attachment TotalResults2015.pdfLadies and gents,
Here are the full results.
From all of us at Westgate , we'd like to thank everyone who entered , supported and helped yesterday.It was a big day.
Congrats to all the winners.
If anyone knows anything about Northside Brewers ( Melb based apparently) , can you please contact me.
Cheers
Ferg

Hi ferg im brian second place porter winner woo hoo. Northsidebrewers brewers is nothing official a bunch of about six friends and occasionally a few others who brew together and compare brews and recipes. We thought we should be a word of mouth brew club. I guess we do ok. Thanks for the interest.

Pretty happy with 106 in my first comp with my first stout. How do we go about getting the score sheets?

Latest posts

Back